• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Report: McDonagh Submits His Ten-Team No-Trade List

The Dude

The benefit would be that they didn’t get an acceptable offer before the deadline so they wait. If the offer is there I would imagine they will take it. They are taking phone calls about him, surely by now they have some idea of the market for him. I would guess the rangers would leave it as a take it or leave it offer to communicating teams. If they meet the price then so be it if not wait until draft day

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also teams that are in the market now may not be willing to include some pieces now before the playoffs because they don’t want to weaken their current roster. In the off season those pieces may become available as teams deal with a tough playoff ouster, cap issues, or even unexpected development elsewhere in their system that allows another piece expendable.

Better yet Franny, some teams may be willing to part with higher picks due to not messing with their current rosters. I hear ya man. We'll see in 2 weeks man, but I'm hoping for the best. I hope we can land a top 5 pick somehow....even if we have to throw in Dolan's mother!

Also teams that are in the market now may not be willing to include some pieces now before the playoffs because they don’t want to weaken their current roster. In the off season those pieces may become available as teams deal with a tough playoff ouster, cap issues, or even unexpected development elsewhere in their system that allows another piece expendable.

Certainly some merit to this. Opportunities do pop up due to everything that happens between now and July 1. Cap planning and player issues emerge. I see this as a fallback for not unearthing a very good return, after doing the tireless work, calls, creativity, scouting, persistence and negotiating.

All things being equal, his value will be diminished with only 1 year left on that sweet contract. If there is nothing there for McD now, I guess we can hope it gets better in the off season. But keep in mind, if GMs do not see good value in adding McD going into the stretch and playoffs, why would they see more value next year?

Only because it’s easier to make roster shakeups during the off season. Adding mcd and losing whatever goes back the other way is not a minor move. Cap issues are only part of it and teams gain cap space as the season ends as do contracts. Teams lose players to ufa themselves. New gms or coaches take over looking to make their mark onto a roster. Waiting until draft day broadens the market without a doubt. Teams look to make their roster moves then these days. No playoff teams will enter the fold as well especially those who were supposed to be there but had disappointing seasons.

To me the draft is where you maximize a mcd trade. I guess the market could go down but not sure that’s reasonable with more teams entering the game. Regardless mcd is a situation you have the luxury to wait on

If you get the deal that checks all your boxes and you like pull the trigger. One last round of opportunities for others to counter with sweeter deals but that’s it. You will probably always think you could get more, just make sure you get the value back.

I think the team should have a policy of requiring or asking all players with modified no moves to provide lists of teams to which they can be traded or not traded at the various times that those limitations kick in under the contract. That way, submission of these lists will not signal that a player is on the market and cause all of the issues that come with that.

Does their list change from now till the end of the season? I thought back in the day, that players already had such a list ready at the time of the contract signing..

If they fail to move McD this season, does he have the ability to change his list the day the season ends? Or is that it?

Only because it’s easier to make roster shakeups during the off season. Adding mcd and losing whatever goes back the other way is not a minor move. Cap issues are only part of it and teams gain cap space as the season ends as do contracts. Teams lose players to ufa themselves. New gms or coaches take over looking to make their mark onto a roster. Waiting until draft day broadens the market without a doubt. Teams look to make their roster moves then these days. No playoff teams will enter the fold as well especially those who were supposed to be there but had disappointing seasons.

To me the draft is where you maximize a mcd trade. I guess the market could go down but not sure that’s reasonable with more teams entering the game. Regardless mcd is a situation you have the luxury to wait on

If you get the deal that checks all your boxes and you like pull the trigger. One last round of opportunities for others to counter with sweeter deals but that’s it. You will probably always think you could get more, just make sure you get the value back.

Appreciate your counter points, they are persuasive and hopeful. Opportunities do pop up at the end of the season. New staffs, disapointing outs, who knows. Our mgmt needs to be ready and targeting the right players and prospects. Our scouting needs to step up, there will be a lot of critical evaluations needed. All our scouts should be swamped every day, until the draft.

Gorton needs to stockpile young assets with significant upside. If we can't get the 20 y/o's like Provorov, MacAvoy, Sergachev let's go after the 19 year olds like Fabbro who stepped into MacAvoy's spot nicely at BU. Maybe Foote is impressing Ranger scouts along with one of Tampas 19 y/o forwards. That could at least be a basis for a Nash deal.

Just frustrated hearing teams like Tampa, Boston, Toronto and even the Jets (all 4 already playoff locks) wanting someone like McD for the playoffs. It seems we should be working Tampa, Boston, Toronto big time. If you are Yzerman, it may be one thing to wait on McD, but another to know he is going to your playoff opposition and rival.

Couldn’t agree more. I think it’s rather easy to know what we want it’s anotger to get it though. What you’re looking for should be what they target. Hopefully there is a team capable and willing to make a deal. In the cases of Nash and grabs then your just taking the best you can get. In 10 days if they are not gone Gorton should be. He cannot overplay his hand on the ufas. The others there is no rush

Now yields a bigger return.

At the draft, you might get a recognizable roster player, that a team doesnt want to trade heading into the playoffs... but that doesnt seem to be our target

My gut is also that now yields the best return?this is when cup contenders cough up a first and a hot prospect for even a Yandle. Remember that?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Does their list change from now till the end of the season? I thought back in the day, that players already had such a list ready at the time of the contract signing..

If they fail to move McD this season, does he have the ability to change his list the day the season ends? Or is that it?

I believe they typically reset on July 1st.

I believe they typically reset on July 1st.

No, that's outdated. Players don't agree to that anymore. It's usually "at the time of trade", so within a reasonable a amount of time.

McDonagh would be asked now, then again before the draft.

Couldn’t agree more. I think it’s rather easy to know what we want it’s anotger to get it though. What you’re looking for should be what they target. Hopefully there is a team capable and willing to make a deal. In the cases of Nash and grabs then your just taking the best you can get. In 10 days if they are not gone Gorton should be. He cannot overplay his hand on the ufas. The others there is no rush

What I'm struggling with is how is McD more valuable to Boston, Toronto and especially Tampa in the off season?

Yzerman probably loves the idea of the Rangers holding on to McD as he grabs Greene (and probably a forward somewhere), leaving Toronto with no real upgrades to their blueline and Boston as is. He'd probably prefer it to trading more for McD and see Greene go to Toronto.

Report: Rangers want DeBrusk in a McDonagh deal

https://search.app.goo.gl/adtV

Rangers want DeBrusk if Boston is asking. Is that enough? The little I've seen of him, he's a decent player. Not sure hes enough to be the centerpiece of a #1 D man trade.

Is the source any good?

The source is Jim Matheson who covers the Oilers. I wouldn't say he's not credible but I'd take what he says with a grain of salt. Rangers are doing a good job of keeping things tight lipped. A lot of what's going around seems like pure speculation.

Hockey night in Canada update. They are reporting Nashville is very unlikely to include Tolvanen in any deal. May not even trade for a rental as Tolvanen may come over to the press this season as they are talking with his agent about the possibility. If so they would be out of the rental market

Could be postering but that’s what was reported

Archived