• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Report: McDonagh Submits His Ten-Team No-Trade List

The Dude

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put it this way, the centerpiece for a trade with St Louis can not be a 2018 1st.

Thomas and Kyrou almost feel like sure things. Just one of them could be a big building block. Kostin is nice, but they'd have to add their 2nd +

Sure things meaning what? They'll be in the NHL, or that they will be top line types?

I know nothing about them. If they are sure things, why haven't they been recalled/put on the roster? Why would they want Nash?

League disapproved the deal because of salary cap issues

Pierre LeBrun

Pierre LeBrun

@PierreVLeBrun

The league told all 3 teams involved that the deal(s) as originally presented weren't acceptable. So deal(s) being reworked.

6:15 PM ? Feb 23, 2018

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

? What 3 teams? Was Pitt and Ottawa. Sorry, I'm confused here. Thought you said a 3rd team had to be brought in?

Yeah Vegas was supposedly brought in to eat up some of Brassards contract because Pitt. is close to the cap?Ottawa & Vegas retain parts of Brassards contract so Pitt can fit him under their cap.

Pierre LeBrun

Pierre LeBrun

@PierreVLeBrun

?

2h

"Very complicated" are words used several times today by a source involved in this deal

Darren Dreger

@DarrenDreger

Ottawa, Pittsburgh and VGK are still ironing out wrinkles in the Brassard trade to Pens. It's being reworked according to sources.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Was unaware two teams could eat parts of one players contract, without both teams having said player be on their roster at one time.

Wouldn't Pitt have to obtain him from Vegas after Ottawa retained salary when they traded him to Vegas? Hes gotta be traded to Vegas before they can retain anything. Why would they do that without a decent compensation?

Not expecting an answer from you. Lol. Just thinking put loud.

Was unaware two teams could eat parts of one players contract, without both teams having said player be on their roster at one time.

Wouldn't Pitt have to obtain him from Vegas after Ottawa retained salary when they traded him to Vegas? Hes gotta be traded to Vegas before they can retain anything. Why would they do that without a decent compensation?

Not expecting an answer from you. Lol. Just thinking put loud.

That's what they are pretty much doing

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sure things meaning what? They'll be in the NHL, or that they will be top line types?

I know nothing about them. If they are sure things, why haven't they been recalled/put on the roster? Why would they want Nash?

Dude, you started this thread when we had an actice thread going where I gave a breakdown of some prospects by team. We discussed Thomas, Kyrou and Kostin in some depth.

Robert Thomas is 18, won't be 19 till the summer. Righty Center. He was the Blues 20th overall, 6' 195lbs, taken just before Chytil. Memorial Cup winner for London Knights, has all around game upside comparison to Patrice Bergeron. Great skater, smart, good stick handler and playmaker. Elite defender, big time puck possession #s. This year with London in 27 games 20G 26A 46P then traded to Hamilton 12P in 12G. Just made TSN top 10 prospects at #10. He is tracking to be a top 6 player in a couple of years with top line upside.

Jordan Kyrou is 19 RW/C 6' 190lbs drafted 35th overall in 2016. Plays for Sarnia and is current PPG leader in OHL. 46 G 31G 57A 88P He was among leaders last year and will eclipse totals. Noted as a playmaker, he has become a lethal goal scorer too. Named among the top 20 prospects by TSN. Here's elite prospects write up last year:

"Highly mobile transitional two-way playmaker who always looks poised and reads the game well. A strong skater who moves with a natural ease and accelerates with purpose and drive. Defensively looks to block passing lanes and battle for puck possession. Transitions to offence tremendously well and is very dangerous with the puck. Displays excellent puck control and has a quick release on his shot. His forte is his ability to make plays, as his creativity and hockey sense seem to take over on the attack. All-in-all, a hard-working two-way player who can be relied upon in all situations to make a positive difference."

This year they are raving about him, lol. Elite scorer potential. Both guys do so much so well, they are certain to be NHLers with excellent upside.

With Weber done, any chance the Rangers can ship Nash and McD to Nashville for a gigantic haul? Not sure if this was brought up in regards to the Preds. If Pitt can get someone to eat salary for them, I'd think they could work something out. Picks and top prospects only.

Dude, you started this thread when we had an actice thread going where I gave a breakdown of some prospects by team. We discussed Thomas, Kyrou and Kostin in some depth.

Robert Thomas is 18, won't be 19 till the summer. Righty Center. He was the Blues 20th overall, 6' 195lbs, taken just before Chytil. Memorial Cup winner for London Knights, has all around game upside comparison to Patrice Bergeron. Great skater, smart, good stick handler and playmaker. Elite defender, big time puck possession #s. This year with London in 27 games 20G 26A 46P then traded to Hamilton 12P in 12G. Just made TSN top 10 prospects at #10. He is tracking to be a top 6 player in a couple of years with top line upside.

Jordan Kyrou is 19 RW/C 6' 190lbs drafted 35th overall in 2016. Plays for Sarnia and is current PPG leader in OHL. 46 G 31G 57A 88P He was among leaders last year and will eclipse totals. Noted as a playmaker, he has become a lethal goal scorer too. Named among the top 20 prospects by TSN. Here's elite prospects write up last year:

"Highly mobile transitional two-way playmaker who always looks poised and reads the game well. A strong skater who moves with a natural ease and accelerates with purpose and drive. Defensively looks to block passing lanes and battle for puck possession. Transitions to offence tremendously well and is very dangerous with the puck. Displays excellent puck control and has a quick release on his shot. His forte is his ability to make plays, as his creativity and hockey sense seem to take over on the attack. All-in-all, a hard-working two-way player who can be relied upon in all situations to make a positive difference."

This year they are raving about him, lol. Elite scorer potential. Both guys do so much so well, they are certain to be NHLers with excellent upside.

I hate the word upside in this scenario. I can't not demand one sure thing in such a trade. Sorry I must have missed that post, or something, or possibly didn't think of them as a fit/match as a trade partner at the time and just skipped it...

The salary cap needs to be tossed. Small market handjob markets like Pittsburgh is circumventing the cap here. Their market was bankrupt back in 05 and now here they are pulling shit like this. No way the nhl should allow this shit.

With Bettman, some animals are more equal than others, Penguins especially. Same guy who lost 1 whole season to keep a team in AZ that could move to Seattle or Quebec tomorrow.

I hate the word upside in this scenario. I can't not demand one sure thing in such a trade. Sorry I must have missed that post, or something, or possibly didn't think of them as a fit/match as a trade partner at the time and just skipped it...

BTW, Blues also have Tage Thompson, another highly regarded forward recently brought up to the big club. He may gets sent back down though, they want him to work more on his game.

Your initial gut may be right, however. Not seeing them as a trade partner. Again, because a lot of these GMs do not want to take too many chances and have something backfire on them. Like having one of their prospects turn into a star somewhere else. I think that is why 1st rounders are ultimately easier to use in trades. Blues do not have theirs.

Armstrong is a good GM, but he traded Shatty rather then use him as a rental. St Louis is struggling lately and doubt they fork over any of their top 3 for anyone, just out of fear that the traded kid is around for 10+ years and Nash or Kane is gone in free agency.

Also give the Pens and Rutherford credit. Unlike others they had the Brass to get Brass. Now they finally replaced their former stud 3C Bonino, a tough task, with a 2 year upgrade at 3C! Ottawa gets two very nice future building blocks (a 1st and a top goalie prospect ) and lots of cap room. A win-win. Rutherford was discussing how complex the trade was, something I am afraid is beyond our mgmt's ability to struggle through. At least so far. Maybe this weekend we can get a glimpse of some creativity or just some simple execution of those "top" prospects our org wants or adding some 1st round picks.

If I told you guys we were going to have a massive sell off at the deadline and were willing to strip the cubbards bare of vets, would you be disapointed if we did not add a 2018 1st rounder and no top 25 prospects, probably not top 50? And no young studs on an NHL roster?

It's Saturday, hope every sonofabitch is busting their ass doing Ranger business.

I’m just very confused. What did Vegas actually get other than a fourth line goon for eating 50% of brassards contract? The thought is they made the trade to keep brassard away from the jets. Pitt needed a third party to come in and eat the money. How is that not circumventing the cap? What makes this outrageous to me is that Pitt and Ottawa are two of the franchises that the cap was implemented to protect and make their world fair. Make no mistake when the pens go through their next decade of tanking their hands will be out begging for financial help as their “loyal” fan base stays home. They will again threaten relocation and history will again repeat itself.

And of course no one questions the nhl about this crap. Teams trading for contracts of players like savard and pronger or datsyuk to reach the cap floor. Devils Kovy contract. All these small market teams gaming the system is biting the hand that feeds you. When crap like this goes down the nhl should strip draft picks from teams who try and make these deals. Otherwise get rid of the cap and let the markets be what they are.

I know the devils were stripped of a first for the kovy dealing. That was right but what is the difference here? Circumventing happens all kinds of ways. And that is exactly what this is. How can a team eat money for a player who never even landed in their city or met one person from your organization.

Whats the difference between Ott retaining the salary on Brassard or Vegas doing it? I don't know what the original deal was but the league made them restructure it. The league also changed rules after the Kovy contract.

How can they eat that money? They traded the money for Reeves and a pick. Teams trade cash in other leagues all the time. Why is that an issue? It not in the same ballpark as Kovy's deal, which the league addressed.

Other leagues don’t have a hard cap like the nhl. The nfl kind of but contracts aren’t guaranteed. That’s a huge difference.

From Vegas standpoint they were orginally getting nothing back as I understand it other than to block the player from going to a rival. The nhl refused the deal so the pens threw them some trash and then it goes through.

My opinion is that deals like this is not in good faith of how the league is designed to operate. Two parties got perceived value in the trade, the third Vegas got nothing other than to block a competitor. This trade cannot happen without them because the pens are at the cap. I’m ok with Vegas rating the money but should the pens have to give them something of value?

Archived