• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

21 hours ago, Pete said:

I know. That's why I'm hoping he wants to do other things or individual sports. 

I played tennis. Certainly politics involved, whether it was High School or at the tennis club events. I recall 'politics' in swimming, wrestling, track/cross country. I dont have experience regarding fencing, but I'll assume it exists.

The best way to avoid politics is to make sure the kid sucks at everything.

13 hours ago, josh said:

Any fun fundraiser suggestions? I dont feel like selling candy bars.

For what sport? We do a raffle, subsidized by local businesses. I think we make about 10k on it. At time of registration, the player is charged an extra $200. It's up to them to sell the tix and make the money back.

We just had our AGM this week, we have 170k sitting in our chequing account, due to multi line COVID discounts from all 1,561 levels of government, here. We're refunding half of registration costs from the past year.

The biggest money maker we ever had was hosting an OHL pre season game, in which we were smart enough to get McDavid. Made 50k in two hours.

• 2 weeks later...

First big spend of the new (next) season with uniform orders. Holy fuck. At least the jerseys are on sale for 150! 

but when putting in the jersey order, it lists you can not pick 0, 60, 69, or 99.

what’s the significance of 60? 

On 4/30/2022 at 5:44 AM, Dunny said:

For what sport? We do a raffle, subsidized by local businesses. I think we make about 10k on it. At time of registration, the player is charged an extra $200. It's up to them to sell the tix and make the money back.

We just had our AGM this week, we have 170k sitting in our chequing account, due to multi line COVID discounts from all 1,561 levels of government, here. We're refunding half of registration costs from the past year.

The biggest money maker we ever had was hosting an OHL pre season game, in which we were smart enough to get McDavid. Made 50k in two hours.

That sounds like the entire organization. Here, the individual teams are tasked with the fund raising, based on how many games, practices and tournaments they expect to play. We wouldn’t have the manpower to host a game like that. Plus, we’re affiliated with the local AHL team, so something like that is limited. Some of the local former pros are coaches and are always around the rink, so you can’t charge tickets to meet people they see every day. 

• 2 months later...

Posting this with permission in case there is any interest. 

This is for my son’s upcoming hockey season. 

SUPPORT THE ROCHESTER JR AMERICANS 9U AA TRAVEL HOCKEY TEAM

WIN AN APPLE WATCH SERIES 7

DRAWING AT TEAM PRACTICE ON AUGUST 14TH

WINNER NEED NOT BE PRESENT

1 TICKET FOR $5
3 TICKETS FOR $10

New Apple Watch  Series 7 GPS, 41MM, Midnight Aluminum Case, Midnight Sport Band

You can purchase tickets through Venmo  @Travelhockey - Enter  name, email, and phone number.

All  tickets must be purchased before our live drawing on August 14th at our team Practice.

Let me know if you want any info about the fundraiser, team, etc.

• 1 month later...

We’ve had a few informal practices/lessons. Practices start Tuesday (also the first day of school) and we have shit practice times as shit locations. 

A fun group of kids, which is good, because they aren’t going to be that great.

one good thing is we have an out of state trip planned, which is a first for most of the kids. With Covid, there’s been little travel. We used to go to Canada at least once a season, even on bad teams, so it’s cool they actually get to “travel” this season, even if it is Cleveland 

• LMFAO 1

This year is the best team that I have ever coached(12U Major); we won a Spring tournament that we entered a couple months after evaluations. Have two more tournaments(one in Montreal), another showcase an overnight trip, and about 55 games between now and mid-March. Hoping that we can win the division in both leagues that we play in, and then retire so someone who actually knows what they are talking about can coach my kid at Bantams. 

1 hour ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

This year is the best team that I have ever coached(12U Major); we won a Spring tournament that we entered a couple months after evaluations. Have two more tournaments(one in Montreal), another showcase an overnight trip, and about 55 games between now and mid-March. Hoping that we can win the division in both leagues that we play in, and then retire so someone who actually knows what they are talking about can coach my kid at Bantams. 

Which organization?

We're not allowed to have tryouts next week, as they feel kids are too stressed with back to school.

Hockey Canada has also banned Novice Rep, and we're not allowed to keep score for novice, anymore.

I'm excited to see what changes come next year.

13 minutes ago, Dunny said:

We're not allowed to have tryouts next week, as they feel kids are too stressed with back to school.

Hockey Canada has also banned Novice Rep, and we're not allowed to keep score for novice, anymore.

I'm excited to see what changes come next year.

They don’t keep track of score in non-competitive/travel mites, so we have the same thing. And all regulated mite hockey is cross ice. 

Our tryouts are always in the spring. April/May, so you can do fundraising over the summer 

1 hour ago, siddious said:

I really don’t get the point of sports if you don’t keep score. I loved beating my friends when I was young. It’s what made me want to play. 

or is this more about the parents being go-hards? 

It's because at that age winning isn't the concern, learning the game is. 

I dunno, they're going to learn the game, anyways. This isn't some elite hockey cyborg school. It's a pretty big ask. 5 years of garbage until they play a real game. I'm on year 3 with my youngest. It's painful. We'll lose kids to unsanctioned leagues because of it. Mine included, if warranted.