• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tournament weekend. 

scenery 100x better. Solid weekend so far.  not sure if it’s the mask mandates lifted, spring on the horizon or what. More moms than normal were bringing their A games. 

Edited by josh
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

11 hours ago, josh said:

Tournament weekend. 

scenery 100x better. Solid weekend so far.  not sure if it’s the mask mandates lifted, spring on the horizon or what. More moms than normal were bringing their A games. 

My son is 16 now and the talent is getting older but we played one team from Colorado that had three legitimate 8’s this year.  Yoga pants are God’s gift to men.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • TroCheckmark 1

Definitely best time of year. All playoffs and tournaments. Sad it's coming to an end.

Kid scored a GWG yesterday with two mins left and did the Chytil celly in front of their bench. I love this shit. Their last 8 games have been do, or die, makes the first meaningless 60 ice times worth it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone baseball? 
my sons playing his second year. I fucking hate this sport. I have no depth perception so playing catch is torture. Watching games is just as bad. Watching practice is even worse. But he really likes this sport and seems to be pretty decent.

this season he moved up to kid pitch. He’s the stereotypical 2nd little leaguer 2B, a foot shorter than everyone on his team. Regardless, these kids are ridiculous. His 10u team is full of select travel kids (have to play on a “rec “ team for regular season) that can throw harder than me. legit had to buy a new glove because they’re going to throw through it soon. But I have to figure out how to break this thing in. I’m not sending him out there with a stiff ass glove. The equivalent of the kid breaking his ankles because his skates aren’t tied tight. 

And I thought baseball was supposed to be cheap? These gloves and bats are fucking expensive. 

6 minutes ago, josh said:

Does anyone baseball? 
my sons playing his second year. I fucking hate this sport. I have no depth perception so playing catch is torture. Watching games is just as bad. Watching practice is even worse. But he really likes this sport and seems to be pretty decent.

this season he moved up to kid pitch. He’s the stereotypical 2nd little leaguer 2B, a foot shorter than everyone on his team. Regardless, these kids are ridiculous. His 10u team is full of select travel kids (have to play on a “rec “ team for regular season) that can throw harder than me. legit had to buy a new glove because they’re going to throw through it soon. But I have to figure out how to break this thing in. I’m not sending him out there with a stiff ass glove. The equivalent of the kid breaking his ankles because his skates aren’t tied tight. 

And I thought baseball was supposed to be cheap? These gloves and bats are fucking expensive. 

Playing catch will help break it in.  Just keep opening and closing it.  I have no idea about baseball gloves, I doubt they're similar to goalie gloves where they can be baked to break them in.  I know they make heating wraps.  The last baseball glove I bought has to be close to 10-15 years ago.  I just played around with it.  Rolled the fingers into the pocket, bent it inside out, slept with it under my mattress.

I typically look for good used gloves. They can be re-laced.

I was a player, and played all over continent, so I have a collection of gloves my kids are using. As a 2nd baseman, I'd use a 10" glove, so it's perfect for the kids, and my 6 yo gets to run around 3 pitch with a $800 glove lol.

Baseball is dirt cheap compared to hockey. There's a great little league resource on tiktok if you want it. "Coachballgame".

My kid is 7 and we just got him on skates this winter. I'm dreading it. 

He doesn't show any interest in baseball, thankfully. Soccer is his thing. Trying to get him to play an instrument and maybe something like Tennis. 

Want him to avoid some of this travel team political bullshit. 

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

He doesn't show any interest in baseball, thankfully. Soccer is his thing. Trying to get him to play an instrument and maybe something like Tennis. 

It took me a few years to accept my 13 yo was a house league player. He has fun, and loves the game, that's the main thing. Hard to watch, though.

My 6 year old, however, I'm all in on. He's not going to be a house player by looks of it, in ball or hockey, so the politics have already started and I've already threatened to pursue his release from our ball program 😆

10 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It took me a few years to accept my 13 yo was a house league player. He has fun, and loves the game, that's the main thing. Hard to watch, though.

My 6 year old, however, I'm all in on. He's not going to be a house player by looks of it, in ball or hockey, so the politics have already started and I've already threatened to pursue his release from our ball program 😆

Our neighbor runs girls softball. There was a week long debate in the town FB page because a parent went on a rant about their kid being left off the travel team and how "damaging it is to the kids mental health" to miss one season... Turns out the parent never filled out the form to register the kid. They sent an email to the unmonitored inbox that they clearly say "do not reply to this email".

I Cant Even Brooklyn Nine Nine GIF

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Congratulations, you have a smart and cool son!

Seriously tho, FOOTBALL is the best sport to play as a child. Play outside, equipment is cheap (basically only need football shoes that you can get for under 100 bucks) and it's so easy and fun. Don't need to learn how to skate first or standing still for half an hour waiting to pitch. Just put on the shoes and run at the ball.

How is youth soccer in the US? Do they play 5v5 as 7y olds?

13 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Congratulations, you have a smart and cool son!

Seriously tho, FOOTBALL is the best sport to play as a child. Play outside, equipment is cheap (basically only need football shoes that you can get for under 100 bucks) and it's so easy and fun. Don't need to learn how to skate first or standing still for half an hour waiting to pitch. Just put on the shoes and run at the ball.

How is youth soccer in the US? Do they play 5v5 as 7y olds?

5v5 no goalies for rec soccer. Travel is something different and more organized. 

He needs more structure than rec. Maybe karate. I feel like he's missing out on the social aspect, but competitive team sports in New Jersey is too political. If parents are worried about the mental health of their 9-year-old, wait until that kid is 16 or 17 and their parents paid for them to get on the team and better kids are getting left off the team for it. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

I typically look for good used gloves. They can be re-laced.

I was a player, and played all over continent, so I have a collection of gloves my kids are using. As a 2nd baseman, I'd use a 10" glove, so it's perfect for the kids, and my 6 yo gets to run around 3 pitch with a $800 glove lol.

Baseball is dirt cheap compared to hockey. There's a great little league resource on tiktok if you want it. "Coachballgame".

There is nothing good around. Really wanted him to try things on. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

I literally just bought my son his first set of gear this past weekend.  He will be starting deck hockey sometime n May.  We got him skates just to skate around outside.  I hate to say it, because I have been playing hockey since I was about his age, but I really hope he is happy with low level hockey.  If not at all.  I don't think I would be able to afford for him to play ice hockey, let alone be able to make games and practices due to my shitty work hours.  Granted, my parents weren't able to afford for me to play ice growing up either.  I played roller my whole life until I was able to afford to pay for ice myself.  I guess we'll see where the roads take us!

• TroCheckmark 1

9 hours ago, Dunny said:

I'd be perfectly happy if all my son is interested in and happy with house league lol.  

8 hours ago, Pete said:

5v5 no goalies for rec soccer. Travel is something different and more organized. 

He needs more structure than rec. Maybe karate. I feel like he's missing out on the social aspect, but competitive team sports in New Jersey is too political. If parents are worried about the mental health of their 9-year-old, wait until that kid is 16 or 17 and their parents paid for them to get on the team and better kids are getting left off the team for it. 

Trust me the politics of youth sports are everywhere.  Thankfully it never affected me growing up, I was always one of the best goalies in my high school.  It does suck how much parents can really ruin it for the kids.  

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Trust me the politics of youth sports are everywhere.  Thankfully it never affected me growing up, I was always one of the best goalies in my high school.  It does suck how much parents can really ruin it for the kids.  

I know. That's why I'm hoping he wants to do other things or individual sports. 

• TroCheckmark 1