• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Youth/Minor/Development Hockey

Puck Head

18 minutes ago, Dunny said:

He plays for Huron Perth Lakers AAA U13. I just checked, they're the #1 ranked team in Canada. LOL.

I guess that's the angle. 

Still fucking nuts.

His younger brother is U-11 and plays for Halton Hills, and my wife said they keep an apartment there lol.

What a life.

My wife complains about practice when it's at 6pm, 10 minutes away from home.

• Cheers 1

I rarely hear stories about parents complaining about taking their kids to hockey.

"I used to walk 5 miles, up hill, both ways, to get to school everyday"

Parents leave work early, get the kids, go to hockey, sit for practice in a cold ass rink, wait for your son to finally come out of the lockerroom after dicking around for 40 minutes after practice, drive an hour through a snowstorm to get home at 830, try to get the kids to eat something while to dry out the equipment to do it again tomorrow. 

Different breed.

• TroCheckmark 1

Carpooling used to be more of a thing, too. Lots of road trips where parents are drinking up front, and we're in the back of a old Suburban.

So many great memories. Every trip was an event in an 80's vintage vehicle. 

Now, I'm not sure my kids could find their way home from two blocks over as they've never looked up from their tablet.

39 minutes ago, Dunny said:

He plays for Huron Perth Lakers AAA U13. I just checked, they're the #1 ranked team in Canada. LOL.

I guess that's the angle. 

Still fucking nuts.

His younger brother is U-11 and plays for Halton Hills, and my wife said they keep an apartment there lol.

What a life.

I know plenty of kids from those early age super teams that are on tier 1 junior teams now.  There are also plenty of those kids that are just hanging around.  It's such a crapshoot but if it works out, it could set them up for future success.  I just can't imagine someone else helping raise my 12 year old.  That's just too young. 

I should also say that the crazies that I know that have done this near me seem to have moved with their kid.  I haven't heard of someone billeting that young.  That's borderline child endangerment.

21 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Carpooling used to be more of a thing, too. Lots of road trips where parents are drinking up front, and we're in the back of a old Suburban.

So many great memories. Every trip was an event in an 80's vintage vehicle. 

Now, I'm not sure my kids could find their way home from two blocks over as they've never looked up from their tablet.

More affluent families? Idk. 

As a kid we carpooled for those long trips with a teammate constantly. 

Carpooled for one game this season but it was with my sister & nephew. Doesn't count. 

That's junior. 

I've laid out what I've personally witnessed, before, including life time suspensions, fans get pulled in to benches, I was personally assaulted in a parking lot while out for a jog before a All Ontario Finals start, and I watched my father mercilessly smash a parents head in to a bathroom sink after the (drunk) parent assaulted him in the dressing room before a playoff game, over a coaching decision.

Hockey was wild.

Much tamer, now.

31 minutes ago, Dunny said:

That's junior. 

I've laid out what I've personally witnessed, before, including life time suspensions, fans get pulled in to benches, I was personally assaulted in a parking lot while out for a jog before a All Ontario Finals start, and I watched my father mercilessly smash a parents head in to a bathroom sink after the (drunk) parent assaulted him in the dressing room before a playoff game, over a coaching decision.

Hockey was wild.

Much tamer, now.

Youth, Minor, Junior - same same for me lol. But yeah, I guess it's not the right thread.

It will be interesting to see the punishment here. I would guess life time suspension, but not sure how strict Sweden is with these things. Will probably face some legal action aswell, because that's assault with a weapon.

Must be fun watching your dad beat the shit out of a drunk dude tho 🤣

No, it was traumatic. I was 12. I think I let 5 in on 15 shots that night.

The parent ended up leaving, pressing charges, then getting pissed again, and went to the Minor Hockey Valentines dance, that night, picked another fight with a different coach, got arrested, and charges against my dad were dropped.

What a weekend.

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

That's junior. 

Hockey was wild.

Much tamer, now.

i witnessed something similar once about 8 years ago in Staten Island.  Parents were going after coaches, refs, and each other.  kids were fighting all over the ice.  i think it was  16U A teams.  Staten Island is wild

16 hours ago, josh said:

I rarely hear stories about parents complaining about taking their kids to hockey.

"I used to walk 5 miles, up hill, both ways, to get to school everyday"

Parents leave work early, get the kids, go to hockey, sit for practice in a cold ass rink, wait for your son to finally come out of the lockerroom after dicking around for 40 minutes after practice, drive an hour through a snowstorm to get home at 830, try to get the kids to eat something while to dry out the equipment to do it again tomorrow. 

Different breed.

im complaining.  im pretty sick of driving around on weekends. doing it for 11 years already.  PLus on top of travel there's high school hockey and that's exclusively on weekdays.  

2 hours ago, CCCP said:

im complaining.  im pretty sick of driving around on weekends. doing it for 11 years already.  PLus on top of travel there's high school hockey and that's exclusively on weekdays.  

yeah - my son always asks "why is that kid wearing (high school team) helmet stickers, (local  youth team) gloves, and a select team jersey.

Well.. because he plays on 3 different teams.

"What happens when his teams play eachother?"

"They cant..."

Not gonna lie.  As much as I love hockey and love playing hockey and miss competitive travel hockey, part of me hopes my son doesn't care to do it.  I'd be happy with him just playing high school.  It'll be so hard with my work schedule to make it work for him and I would hate to have to tell him that we can't do it.  Shit, I would even be ok if he turns out like my nephew and absolutely loves hockey but just doesn't care to play real competitive hockey.  He was happy just playing house league deck hockey as a kid up until he left for college.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not gonna lie.  As much as I love hockey and love playing hockey and miss competitive travel hockey, part of me hopes my son doesn't care to do it.  I'd be happy with him just playing high school.  It'll be so hard with my work schedule to make it work for him and I would hate to have to tell him that we can't do it.  Shit, I would even be ok if he turns out like my nephew and absolutely loves hockey but just doesn't care to play real competitive hockey.  He was happy just playing house league deck hockey as a kid up until he left for college.

I feel the exact same way.

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Same here. Pretty sick of traveling. This Saturday we have a game in Suffolk County and its almost 2 hours away. Whole Saturday is pretty much wasted

54 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Same here. Pretty sick of traveling. This Saturday we have a game in Suffolk County and its almost 2 hours away. Whole Saturday is pretty much wasted

Sounds like your team needs more mothers in yoga pants.

• LMFAO 1