• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Showtime's 'HOMELAND'

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great episode.

Im assuming that Javadi knows of Brodies plans in Iran right?

What he just accomplished, you mean, or the fact he's there? The latter, yes. The former, I doubt. That look of doubt when Brody walked into his office was pretty telling.

What he just accomplished, you mean, or the fact he's there? The latter, yes. The former, I doubt. That look of doubt when Brody walked into his office was pretty telling.

At the end of that last episode, the guy (javadi)? Who shot the soldier in the head, does he know of Brodies plan to assasinate the guy in Iran? Im assuming he is privy to the whole plan.

At the end of that last episode, the guy (javadi)? Who shot the soldier in the head, does he know of Brodies plan to assasinate the guy in Iran? Im assuming he is privy to the whole plan.

He is, yes. He was the original play, which Brody is the second wave of, that gets Javadi pushed to the position the General was in.

I thought the way the end played out was a little obvious. I don't know if there was another way to do it, but to me it wasn't a "will he or won't he" moment, it was an "of course they're going to play it off to the very end like he's not going to and then he will".

I intentionally didn't watch the scenes for the next episode, but I'm assuming the extraction should be a fun final episode of the season. My guess is that Carrie will get to watch Brodie die, or he'll sacrifice himself to save her, something like that. Final scene, close up on Carrie's chin as it starts to quiver and fade to black.

Howard Gordon is such an incredible story teller. What a ride.

No doubt, there was no where else to go with Brody. The redemption angle ran itself, and love it or hate it, his accomplishments echo louder in death than they do life. Frankly, they'd be doing the show a disservice running him a fourth season.

Howard Gordon is such an incredible story teller. What a ride.

No doubt, there was no where else to go with Brody. The redemption angle ran itself, and love it or hate it, his accomplishments echo louder in death than they do life. Frankly, they'd be doing the show a disservice running him a fourth season.

Agreed. There was no other direction to go for him.

I'd have to assume that if Carrie goes to Istanbul, she'll be taking Quinn. But something tells me that she won't end up going, and that Saul won't be staying retired for too long. They'd have to seriously step up the roles of existing characters to continue that storyline.

Why did Brody have to die?

His shelf life had expired. It was time. We spent a lot of hours in the story room figuring out what we could do with his character, and a lot of the emotional landscape had been crossed. We didn?t want to repeat ourselves.

Then we thought of this cool thing Saul could do with him to find political asylum in Iran and use that operationally. So it just felt like once he was in Iran, he wasn?t getting out of Iran?and his time was up.

Setting aside the critics: a lot of viewers are very upset by Brody?s death. Some are saying that they are never going to watch again?that the show is over for them now. What do you have to say to them?

That?s an individual decision for everybody to make about whether the series for them is over. And I would be the first to admit that that image of that star on the wall feels like a bit of a series finale, not a season finale. The question is how invested are you in the characters who are left standing? Do you want to see what happens to Carrie as a mother and as an intelligence officer? One of the great joys of Season 4 is going to be seeing Carrie actually do something she was trained to do, and that is be a case officer in a foreign capital somewhere.

Don?t you want to see what happens to her relationship with Saul and how frayed that has become? Or what happens with Peter Quinn? If that?s not enough for people to tune into, then so be it, ultimately, is my feeling.

Saul says he?s out for good. But we should be prepared for a Godfather moment, right? ?Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.?

It?s not just that. The Central Intelligence Agency outsources so much work to private contractors now that Saul could very easily be back in the fold, just that way. Whether he has a desk at Langley anymore, I?m not sure. But his value and relationship to the CIA is very much alive.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/12/16/homeland-creator-why-brody-had-to-die-for-the-show-to-live-and-what-s-next-in-season-4.html

Completely agree. My brother is actually one of those people who said he's going to stop watching now (which I don't believe — he said the same when numerous characters died in 24 as well — Gordon's previous show), but I just don't understand that logic at all. What are they supposed to do, continue his pointless story arc that reached an obvious end of the line just because you're a fan? That makes no sense.

Yeah, when you consider he was only actually an active cast member for what, six episodes? I agree.

The show is about Carrie's relationships, period. It's about Carrie. And Season 4 should reestablish that, painful as it might be for Brody fans to accept right now.

I haven't really bonded with any of the characters from an emotional perspective, but I completely understand why people wanted him to stick around as long as he did. He was fascinating from concept to creation. Everything about him just made you want to learn more, like peeling off layer after layer of an onion.

That was the ONLY way the show could've ended this season if it wanted to survive and move on. What it should be, at its best, is an engaging, thrilling and suspenseful look in to fictional counter-terrorist measures. Brody was like the gum on the shoe when you're trying to take a step forward. His story had gone as far as it could, and frankly I'm not sure I could've stayed invested in the show if he were kept around. Each season there should be a new threat to deal with and the story should center around that. Brody was a holdover of the Abu Nazir storyline, and I honestly don't think the show could've reached its potential if it were still mired down in a love story.

That said, this season served two critical functions: setting up the plot for next year, and severing ties with Brody properly. He got the chance to redeem himself before he went out, instead of languishing away in some Colombian hovel. His legacy as part of the storyline will survive in Carrie's baby. The thing that Javadi said, where "nobody is just one thing," in my opinion sets up the idea that next season he'll be undermining the CIA will simultaneously appearing to provide assistance. I think he emerges as the villain of next season personally.

Anyway, well done overall for this season. A thorough, fitting and necessary termination of the Brody storyline, and a great segue to next season. We needed one season like this to move on, in my opinion, if the show was going to continue to be exciting.

• 6 months later...

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/07/homeland-season-4-has-a-premiere-date-a-poster-and-a-new-action-packed-trailer/

The show has an entirely new setting ? the season largely takes place overseas in Pakistan and Afghanistan as CIA case officer Carrie struggles to maintain stability in the region following the pullout of U.S. forces in Afghanistan. Plus there are several new cast members as well, including Corey Stoll, Suraj Sharma, Laila Robins, and Michael O?Keefe. [EW]

[video=youtube_share;-A6vKiOM0Ws]

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I caught up on this show after giving up on Season 1 a while back. I found out that this was on UK Netflix and I decided to give it another shot.

I have a love-hate relationship with this show, and it's pretty evident a bunch of people here do too. I hate Crying Carrie, Cuckoo Carrie, and Crazy Carrie - I also hate Carrie Who Goes Rogue To Be With Brody Every Other Episode. I hate the entire Brody family. I hate all of the stupid love triangles, rectangles, and hexagons in this show. But, goddamn, I love watching the plots and plans come together. It's so satisfying and makes up for everything else.

It seems to me that they're starting somewhat fresh next season. No Brody or Brody family (though I will miss seeing Jess' amazing tits). Carrie in another country. I just wonder what shit they'll come up with to infuriate the audience.

Unfortunately, it doesn't hold a candle to 24 in terms of intensity. But it fills a void, and is entertaining enough.

• 1 month later...

Archived