• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Showtime's 'HOMELAND'

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Killing Carrie kills the show.

I have no idea why you'd want Saul dead, though. That guy puts a smile on my face all the time.

On a related note, I'm really into this new season. I love how the show is going back to its roots.

Killing Carrie kills the show.

I have no idea why you'd want Saul dead, though. That guy puts a smile on my face all the time.

On a related note, I'm really into this new season. I love how the show is going back to its roots.

I'm OK with that.

Show is repetitive. Carrie breaks rules. Saul slaps Carrie down. Carrie does what she wants. Carrie fucks the "man of the season". Quinn goes crazy because he wants to fuck Carrie.

I'm OK with that.

Show is repetitive. Carrie breaks rules. Saul slaps Carrie down. Carrie does what she wants. Carrie fucks the "man of the season". Quinn goes crazy because he wants to fuck Carrie.

We have no indication what will actually happen this season for you to presume this. She's fucked exactly one "man of the season" thus far, whom she fell in love with. That rode out multiple seasons. Her potentially fucking Aayan isn't for the same reason — it's because he's terrified and runs at the first sign of not feeling safe, so she's using sex to keep him calm. That's going to conflict directly with Quinn, clearly, who is actually in love with her but not fucking her.

And Saul hasn't slapped Carrie down at all, he's actually come to her aid these last number of episodes. He's running a secondary team for her in Islamabad whom the CIA aren't aware of.

OK, so is this where I tell you the same thing you told me with The Leftovers? Stop watching.

I don't outwardly complain about every facet of the show on every internet outlet lol. There are aspects of the show I enjoy. And I actively root for Carrie's demise. I'm just commenting on how they went back to the season 1 well thIs season. Unoriginal.

They had no choice but to. The Brody story line had run it's course, and the character was actually killed off.

I'm simply pointing out that if they have any intentions of running this show for multiple seasons, Carrie needs to live. She's the main protagonist, love her or hate her, and if she's killed, the show will lose the only grounding prong it has left. You can deal with one major death. You can't deal with both.

Quinn, nor Saul, nor anyone else for that matter are enough to keep the heartbeat of the show going if she's killed off.

I mean, I guess? I don't watch BWE, so I can't speak to just how far the show went, or can still go. I'd compare Homeland to 24 (Howard Gordon's first show) in it's ability to essentially use the same formula year-to-year, but still produce compelling drama/action each season under slightly different circumstances. 24 went eight full seasons, plus a half season last year as part of a return structure.

I'm with Pete here. I'm going to keep watching for the CIA aspect of this. As to killing Carrie, I'd be all for it. I'd rather watch a show with Saul, Quinn, Fara and with some Dar Adal (who's legit bad ass) mixed in. I like this new kid. I thought he was pretty compelling until he falls for that diseased cunt of hers.

The problem is, Carrie is the protagonist. Can you think of a single show in which the main protagonist was killed off, that still continued and found success? Ultimately, what you are asking for is to write Dexter out of the show, but let the rest of the Miami PD to keep kicking it.

Not main, it doesn't. No more or less than Dexter or The Sopranos, etc. Most shows utilize a main protagonist, a main antagonist (which can change by season), and then supplant the programming with strong and weak supporting casts. Homeland has strong recurring cast members in Saul, Quinn and Fara this season, and weaker supporting cast, like pretty much everyone else.

The problem is, Carrie is the protagonist. Can you think of a single show in which the main protagonist was killed off, that still continued and found success? Ultimately, what you are asking for is to write Dexter out of the show, but let the rest of the Miami PD to keep kicking it.

The show was about Brodie and transitioned to be about Carrie. Then they killed Brodie. A similar arch would work. You just have to slide Carrie back and bring the new character forward.

Awesome concept? Flip the script. Have this new kid become the main protagonist and switch focus of the show from the CIA dealing with terrorism to the making of a terrorist leader. We follow the kid as he becomes a player. Maybe he kills Carrie for being the one to give the order that killed his family and then trying to turn him. It would take a multi-season arch, but we could be done with Carrie as a finale next season.

The show was about Brodie and transitioned to be about Carrie. Then they killed Brodie. A similar arch would work. You just have to slide Carrie back and bring the new character forward.

Awesome concept? Flip the script. Have this new kid become the main protagonist and switch focus of the show from the CIA dealing with terrorism to the making of a terrorist leader. We follow the kid as he becomes a player. Maybe he kills Carrie for being the one to give the order that killed his family and then trying to turn him. It would take a multi-season arch, but we could be done with Carrie as a finale next season.

Brodie was the antagonist turned semi-protagonist. You can always kill bad guys. You can't kill good guys without rocking the foundation of the show.

Something like your proposal could work, but ultimately the show still operates from a traditional position, so even if you flip the script like that, you still need to build up a protagonist who is going to ultimately take him down. The only two characters on the show who might fit that bill right now are Quinn and Saul. Saul, especially. I think the only way I could buy a Carrie death this early is if it comes by means of Saul becoming, for lack of a better term, the "face" of the show.

Brodie was the antagonist turned semi-protagonist. You can always kill bad guys. You can't kill good guys without rocking the foundation of the show.

Something like your proposal could work, but ultimately the show still operates from a traditional position, so even if you flip the script like that, you still need to build up a protagonist who is going to ultimately take him down. The only two characters on the show who might fit that bill right now are Quinn and Saul. Saul, especially. I think the only way I could buy a Carrie death this early is if it comes by means of Saul becoming, for lack of a better term, the "face" of the show.

Fine. Kid kills Carrie, Saul goes off the reservation to bring him down. Done and done.

Fine. Kid kills Carrie, Saul goes off the reservation to bring him down. Done and done.

Might work for a season or two. I just don't think the show itself is going to have legs beyond that if Carrie goes. Ultimately, love her or hate her (and most hate her), she's the predominant reason people tune in. Whether it's because you want to see her Jack Bauer the day, or because you're curious to see how she's going to fuck the next thing up.

Gonna be tough for a show like this to shed it's main female (this is actually important) protagonist because her neuroses get on your nerves.

Not main, it doesn't. No more or less than Dexter or The Sopranos, etc. Most shows utilize a main protagonist, a main antagonist (which can change by season), and then supplant the programming with strong and weak supporting casts. Homeland has strong recurring cast members in Saul, Quinn and Fara this season, and weaker supporting cast, like pretty much everyone else.

It would not be the first time a main character of a show died. With the Sopranos, the first 2 seasons revolved around Tony and his mother. Then the actress who played his mother died and they wrote her out (or vice versa), but point stands, you can easily kill Carrie and have the show revolve around Saul and Quinn and not miss a beat, IMO. Carrie's gone as far as she can go, IMO.

It would not be the first time a main character of a show died. With the Sopranos, the first 2 seasons revolved around Tony and his mother. Then the actress who played his mother died and they wrote her out (or vice versa), but point stands, you can easily kill Carrie and have the show revolve around Saul and Quinn and not miss a beat, IMO. Carrie's gone as far as she can go, IMO.

I haven't watched The Sopranos, but I'd imagine that Tony is still, ultimately, the main protagonist. His mother was probably in a similar role to the one Saul is in Homeland. So in that sense, she, like he, was/would be expendable.

I do agree that Carrie has probably gone as far as she can go, but to me, that also means the show has as well. This is a Howard Gordon-produced venture, and if you consider the similarities it holds to 24, Gordon's first major series, what you are proposing is the idea of killing Jack Bauer because Tony Almeida and the rest of the supporting cast are more palatable.

Maybe, but ultimately you are killing the poster child of the show, which IMO would cut the legs off of it.

I haven't watched The Sopranos, but I'd imagine that Tony is still, ultimately, the main protagonist. His mother was probably in a similar role to the one Saul is in Homeland. So in that sense, she, like he, was/would be expendable.

I do agree that Carrie has probably gone as far as she can go, but to me, that also means the show has as well. This is a Howard Gordon-produced venture, and if you consider the similarities it holds to 24, Gordon's first major series, what you are proposing is the idea of killing Jack Bauer because Tony Almeida and the rest of the supporting cast are more palatable.

Maybe, but ultimately you are killing the poster child of the show, which IMO would cut the legs off of it.

If there's anything Game of Thrones has shown us, it's that you can kill anyone.

I, for one, would gladly watch a show where Saul and Quinn are the focus, without the baby-mama-drama.

Archived