• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Showtime's 'HOMELAND'

Last night's episode was great. Completely unpredictable and exciting from start-to-finish.

So glad Dana's screen time/story looks to be getting cut for Quinn's storyline, which looks to be very promising. Him getting so close to killing Brody tonight was nuts — especially with Estes in charge of the call. Definitely looking forward to see where they're heading with him, and with Saul for that matter. I feel like a lot of Saul's time has gotten cut from the show due to Dana's inability to cope nonsense as well, but from the looks of the previews for next week, he's definitely going to play a major role in the last three episodes. The show hinted in the past at Saul being a mole with his failed lie detractor test from season 1, and now it looks like suspicion is being raised for him again. Should be interesting to see what his deal is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/12/05/entertainers-of-the-year-homeland/

Now with the only two episodes left in the second season, the big question remains ? ?Will Brody survive?? No one will say (although click here for my colleague Adam Vary?s theory on why he should die) but Lewis thinks the appeal of the series is how the writers toy with this genre?s expectations. ?Part of the talent of this writing room is that they?re not afraid to kill the sacred cow,? admits the actor. ?I think that?s what?s exciting everybody. They?re prepared to be bold in their storytelling. Who knows if they?ve got any more story up their sleeves but it?s been a thrilling ride!?

Holy fuck does the finale look good or what?

Estes/Berenson showdown/powerplay where Saul knows about the plan to kill Brody but is now being handcuffed from saying anything is definitely the strongest take-away here.

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/homeland-s2-ep11-carrie-abu-nazir-brody/

But to start this week's recap, I'd like instead to explore the possible exit of a character I would not have predicted would be on the chopping block come the end of season 2: Saul Berenson.

I don't mean that literally; I don't think Saul's gonna die. But I am still haunted by our introduction last week to the formidable Dar Adal, and his parting insult to Saul: "I'm amazed you lasted this long." And now, at the end of this week's episode, Saul's very existence within the CIA is hanging by just the wiry threads of his most awesome beard.

Of course, Estes had to take his anger with Saul even further, intoning darkly about how Saul — and I think by extension Carrie — "continually undermine" his authoritah. "I want you gone," growled Estes, brandishing his report and threatening to tie Saul up in bureaucratic purgatory if he didn't leave willingly. It was about as unequivocal as ultimatums come, but I can see it playing out in a few ways. One, Saul leaves willingly, and season 3 begins with a role reversal: Carrie officially back on the books at the CIA, and Saul living as a civilian trying to become the next Tom Clancy and failing spectacularly. Two, Saul reminds Estes that he also has a loaded gun implicating Estes in the illegal drone strike, and season 3 begins with both men locked either in a wary detente or a scorched Earth war of mutually-assured destruction. Or three, Estes dies (due to Quinn?), and Saul is saved.

This will likely (i.e. hopefully) unfold along some fourth option that hasn't occurred to me, but any way you slice it, Saul's future at the CIA has never been as tenuous as it is now. What that means for his future on the show, however, is much less clear, and for that, at least, I am grateful. While some of you can't imagine Homeland without Brody, I can't imagine it without Saul and his simultaneous grizzled wisdom and stubborn idealism.

--

Any predictions on the finale? The teaser looked jam-packed and even teased something of a "bet you never saw this coming", but I honestly haven't a clue how they'll handle this with Nazir now dead, since I just don't think the threat of killing Brody is the bigger story.

Then again, this could go the 24 route and throw a major monkey wrench into the part-time peace we're seeing right now and reveal that Nazir wasn't in fact the head of the snake? Any ideas on direction?

Holy fuck does the finale look good or what?

Estes/Berenson showdown/powerplay where Saul knows about the plan to kill Brody but is now being handcuffed from saying anything is definitely the strongest take-away here.

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/homeland-s2-ep11-carrie-abu-nazir-brody/

--

Any predictions on the finale? The teaser looked jam-packed and even teased something of a "bet you never saw this coming", but I honestly haven't a clue how they'll handle this with Nazir now dead, since I just don't think the threat of killing Brody is the bigger story.

Then again, this could go the 24 route and throw a major monkey wrench into the part-time peace we're seeing right now and reveal that Nazir wasn't in fact the head of the snake? Any ideas on direction?

I think it will be something like this. I dont think Saul gets fired. I think he get saved some how.

What a finale! A little slow for my tastes, based on the pace and excitement of the previous two episodes, but somewhat expected when they killed Nazir prior to the actual finale.

The "face turn" for Quinn was intense. That line he used exiting Estes' place where he talked about how nothing bad better happen to Brody, or Estes would find him back in that chair, because "I'm a guy that kills bad guys" was fuckin' awesome. It was hard to imagine a sequence of events where Quinn would have become as high-profile as he has this season, just to throw it all away (along with his conscience and character depth) in the same basket, reverting to that "just a soldier" level anyway, so that was great to see.

Oh, and if that "You're the smartest and the dumbest fuckin' person I've ever known" doesn't perfectly define Carrie Matheson, I have no idea what does. Well done, Saul. Well fuckin' done.

Very Howard Gordon-like ending, though, with the explosion at the Langley, effectively "framing" Brody (as if the release of his pre-recorded video from the botched suicide bombing wasn't enough), who's now going to be hunted as the prime suspect. Well done! Season 3 is gonna be a fuckin' ride!

I think the one thing that's killing me now is not knowing what the fuck Saul was muttering in Arabic standing in the room with the 200+ victims. That "smile" of his as Carrie walked back in was creepy as fuck…

What a finale! A little slow for my tastes, based on the pace and excitement of the previous two episodes, but somewhat expected when they killed Nazir prior to the actual finale.

The "face turn" for Quinn was intense. That line he used exiting Estes' place where he talked about how nothing bad better happen to Brody, or Estes would find him back in that chair, because "I'm a guy that kills bad guys" was fuckin' awesome. It was hard to imagine a sequence of events where Quinn would have become as high-profile as he has this season, just to throw it all away (along with his conscience and character depth) in the same basket, reverting to that "just a soldier" level anyway, so that was great to see.

Oh, and if that "You're the smartest and the dumbest fuckin' person I've ever known" doesn't perfectly define Carrie Matheson, I have no idea what does. Well done, Saul. Well fuckin' done.

Very Howard Gordon-like ending, though, with the explosion at the Langley, effectively "framing" Brody (as if the release of his pre-recorded video from the botched suicide bombing wasn't enough), who's now going to be hunted as the prime suspect. Well done! Season 3 is gonna be a fuckin' ride!

I think the one thing that's killing me now is not knowing what the fuck Saul was muttering in Arabic standing in the room with the 200+ victims. That "smile" of his as Carrie walked back in was creepy as fuck…

I thought it was yiddish.

• 2 weeks later...

Comments after finishing both seasons and catching up.

I hate having my mind fucked with like this. Every minute, I go from loving Brody to hating Brody, from loving Carrie to hating Carrie (who is perfectly...and I mean PERFECTLY described by Saul as the smartest and dumbest motherfucker on the planet), from hating Jess to really fucking hating Jess....

Show's awesome. I want to punch Carrie for the finale, but it is an awesome, awesome show.

Not sure why Jess gets any hate. She's a smokeshow. I too recently watched the two seasons rather quickly. Good show. Some stuff just doesn't sit well and has been mentioned already. Like security clearances being ignored and the fact that a total flake like Carrie would be allowed anywhere near the CIA. Don't they drug test? And hasn't she ever been given a polygraph? I'm pretty sure she'd be in jail for life no matter what at this point.

My favorite characters are Quinn and Saul. Oh, and the Veep will always be Randall Flagg to me.

Not sure why Jess gets any hate. She's a smokeshow. I too recently watched the two seasons rather quickly. Good show. Some stuff just doesn't sit well and has been mentioned already. Like security clearances being ignored and the fact that a total flake like Carrie would be allowed anywhere near the CIA. Don't they drug test? And hasn't she ever been given a polygraph? I'm pretty sure she'd be in jail for life no matter what at this point.

My favorite characters are Quinn and Saul. Oh, and the Veep will always be Randall Flagg to me.

See, I always looked at security clearances as "We fucking decide those as we wish, because we're the fuckin' CIA"

Why do I hate Jess? She's an emotional trainwreck of melodramatic crap. It's realistic for Dana, because she's a moody 16 year old. Jess needs to be a stronger character.

See, I always looked at security clearances as "We fucking decide those as we wish, because we're the fuckin' CIA"

Why do I hate Jess? She's an emotional trainwreck of melodramatic crap. It's realistic for Dana, because she's a moody 16 year old. Jess needs to be a stronger character.

I don't know. Your husband is gone for 8 years. You held out hope for 6 of those years that he's still alive. 2 years ago you start to move on with your life. Then suddenly, here he is. Back. But severely damaged. He disappears, sometimes for days at a time. He cheats on you. A lot of this is under the public eye because he's suddenly involved in top level politics. Then you have some crazy woman, the one he cheated on you with, telling your kid he's a terrorist. You catch him lying to you, over and over again. Then you find out he's helping out the CIA. And he lies to you again. And then you find out he's a muslim. And still cheating on you. And then that he is a terrorist. Oh and somewhere in this mix your kid, who you've caught doing drugs, is in the car with the VP's son driving and they kill someone.

I think she's held up remarkably well. And did I mention she's smokin' hot?

I don't know. Your husband is gone for 8 years. You held out hope for 6 of those years that he's still alive. 2 years ago you start to move on with your life. Then suddenly, here he is. Back. But severely damaged. He disappears, sometimes for days at a time. He cheats on you. A lot of this is under the public eye because he's suddenly involved in top level politics. Then you have some crazy woman, the one he cheated on you with, telling your kid he's a terrorist. You catch him lying to you, over and over again. Then you find out he's helping out the CIA. And he lies to you again. And then you find out he's a muslim. And still cheating on you. And then that he is a terrorist. Oh and somewhere in this mix your kid, who you've caught doing drugs, is in the car with the VP's son driving and they kill someone.

I think she's held up remarkably well. And did I mention she's smokin' hot?

She's only "strong" in the sense that she inexplicably "stands by her man" (even though it's the wrong goddamn man, as it's BLATANTLY obvious that Mike is a much better overall human being in every way than Brody ever was) through consistent lies, cheating and suspicion. It took hell and high water to throw Brody out of the house, and when she does, Carrie literally bends over backwards to make sure he isn't as homeless and fucked up as Tom Walker, but it's a little late for that.

When Dana basically told Brody to get the fuck out of their lives and that they'd be better off with Mike overall, I wanted to give her a high five and then punch Jess in the face for not being the one who fucking said it in the first place.

I think Brody did it, though. I really do. I don't trust the guy for a second - and if you pay close attention when he arrived at the CIA, he had keys in hand, went in for a handshake, and boom, no keys. He fucking handed it off to an internal operative.

The whole thing was to fake his death, and he managed to get Carrie to play along.

I don't trust Brody either, but I think that's too easy, and it's not really a Howard Gordon-like move at all. If you watched 24 at all you'd know he's never been the type to dance with the girl he brought to the ball. At the end of the day it's always the one you never saw coming. That's why I initially suspected Saul.

I don't trust Brody either, but I think that's too easy, and it's not really a Howard Gordon-like move at all. If you watched 24 at all you'd know he's never been the type to dance with the girl he brought to the ball. At the end of the day it's always the one you never saw coming. That's why I initially suspected Saul.

I think it's Carrie. Wasn't she the one who motioned for Brody to leave the ceremony?

Just took another look using Showtime Anywhere. Estes is talking up the VP and Brody is visually upset by it. Carrie gives Brody the head nod like lets get out of here and Brody agrees. She's the terrorist.

I read it more literally. Carrie knows/knew that Estes' chalking up of Walden was bullshit, and didn't want to sit there hearing it, so she got up, hoping to get away with Brody for some fun time in a vacant office.

If she's the terrorist, that makes so many of her moves this year backwards. Hell, why force the teams back in to sweep the warehouse for Nazir? Makes no sense.

Just took another look using Showtime Anywhere. Estes is talking up the VP and Brody is visually upset by it. Carrie gives Brody the head nod like lets get out of here and Brody agrees. She's the terrorist.

I think Estes did it, to be honest. This was an assassination attempt. When Quinn decided not to, Estes took matters into his own hands.

Archived