• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Showtime's 'HOMELAND'

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great little cliffhanger ending there to finish off the first season, and even better with Brody not actually going through with the attack despite the initial misfire. Killing him off this early would have effectively neutered the show and given no cause for a return despite the fact you may have been able to build new threats in each new season. You can tell this is something Howard Gordon is lifting from his time with the X-Files, and something that reverses the trend he went with for 24 — a show that's quite similar in fashion to Homeland.

Color me intrigued, and just in time for season two, too.

I finished off the season today too. It's a good show, and I'm looking forward to the next season. Nothing extraordinary. I'm not sure why it won that Emmy, but whatever.

The writing is untraditionally compelling. The main protagonist is able to bounce between protagonist/antagonist with ease. You're lead to believe he's a "terrorist", but come to realize he's actually a politically motivated "patriot" who believes in his cause. There's more to the story than a blind hatred for "The West" by means of Islam, despite his conversion.

A lot of Stockholm Syndrome, etc. going on.

The writing is untraditionally compelling. The main protagonist is able to bounce between protagonist/antagonist with ease. You're lead to believe he's a "terrorist", but come to realize he's actually a politically motivated "patriot" who believes in his cause. There's more to the story than a blind hatred for "The West" by means of Islam, despite his conversion.

A lot of Stockholm Syndrome, etc. going on.

While that's true and I recognized it too, I also felt it was very predictable at times. For instance:

Once they revealed his partner was still alive, my first thought was that they were working together.

Maybe it's because I'm a 24 fan and I'm conditioned to not believe a single thing I see or to always expect the unexpected.

But you're right. The characters are very well written, for the most part (I hate Jess). There's a unique sense with the way the characters have been developed so far.

Well the one thing that separates the Homeland characters from the 24 characters is that the Homeland characters seem to be much more rooted in reality, where there is good and evil to each of them, that they fight to balance—at least in my opinion—where as with 24 you had clearly defined protagonist/antagonist lines drawn. The struggle for stability was there, but the line of morality was far less blurred.

Well the one thing that separates the Homeland characters from the 24 characters is that the Homeland characters seem to be much more rooted in reality' date=' where there is good and evil to each of them, that they fight to balance—at least in my opinion—where as with 24 you had clearly defined protagonist/antagonist lines drawn. The struggle for stability was there, but the line of morality was far less blurred.[/quote']

Right. I wasn't really comparing 24 to this show so much as I was just saying that watching 24 prepared me for the twists and turns along the way.

Right. I wasn't really comparing 24 to this show so much as I was just saying that watching 24 prepared me for the twists and turns along the way.

Absolutely. I felt the same way abou the same moment, for the record. The second they did the swerve, I though "red herring", and was dead on too.

I thought they did a great job of establishing the suspicions of Brody's family early. Kinda funny how the tables are turning with his daughter and wife, where the prior season had them in almost completely opposing roles.

The teaser for the remainder of the season looks incredible. This season is gonna be jam-packed, for sure.

I really hated that entire episode up until that ending scene where I jumped out of bed yelling fuck yea!

But, my biggest pet peeve in TV shows is when they write unrealistic coincidences into the story line. So a 1st term congressman becomes a (POSSIBLE) VP candidate, gets sent to an off the book meeting with the homeland security director at the pentagon about Iran nukes, that meeting is cancelled because it just so happens at that EXACT time a special op's team is about to execute a play to capture/kill the biggest terrorist leader, and somehow this 1st term congressman is invited to sit-in on this super covert meeting with THE JOIN CHIEFS OF STAFF, and it just so happens that this congressman happens to be a double agent so he is able to WARN said terrorist as it's happening live and save his life.

Pleassssseeeeeeeeeeeeeee... lol

LOL. I thought the same, Harris.

Then again, when it comes to shows like this, I tend to discard that kind of realistic expectation. It's Howard Gordon. He did 24, so if Jack Bauer can survive a nuke blast by diving behind a rock, then what you explained is certainly plausible. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Just watched last night's episode and I am pretty surprised they captured him so early in the season. I'm really curious to see where this goes from here on out as I read that the show was picked up for a third season today. I really hope they don't end up stretching the story too much and ruin it like they did with Prison Break.

"You are a disgrace to your nation, Sgt. Nicholas Brody. You're a traitor and a terrorist. And now it's time you pay for that".

Wow. I'm shocked they played this card on the CIA moving in on Brody just four episodes into the second season, and just two episodes after Saul discovered the video card. Brody is gonna have to get off on a major, major technicality that adds a whole new level of question(s) to be able to successfully drag this out if this is going to span across the remainder of the season, I'm thinking.

"You are a disgrace to your nation, Sgt. Nicholas Brody. You're a traitor and a terrorist. And now it's time you pay for that".

Wow. I'm shocked they played this card on the CIA moving in on Brody just four episodes into the second season, and just two episodes after Saul discovered the video card. Brody is gonna have to get off on a major, major technicality that adds a whole new level of question(s) to be able to successfully drag this out if this is going to span across the remainder of the season, I'm thinking.

That's what I'm saying. I figured they'd wait until the one of the last episodes of the season to actually make the capture. Maybe they'll use him to help them get to Abu Nazir before they deal with him? I can't see any other way of this going long enough to not only finish this season but last a whole third season on top of that.

That's what I'm saying. I figured they'd wait until the one of the last episodes of the season to actually make the capture. Maybe they'll use him to help them get to Abu Nazir before they deal with him? I can't see any other way of this going long enough to not only finish this season but last a whole third season on top of that.

Sure, because Nazir is still technically the bigger fish, but four episodes in? That's way early, for any drama/triller, especially for a twelve episode series.

But this isn't like 24 where much smaller fish were caught in a systematic process to continually catch the larger above them. This is the shows main antagonist being reigned in just 16 episodes into the series. That's a bold, bold move.

Sure, because Nazir is still technically the bigger fish, but four episodes in? That's way early, for any drama/triller, especially for a twelve episode series.

But this isn't like 24 where much smaller fish were caught in a systematic process to continually catch the larger above them. This is the shows main antagonist being reigned in just 16 episodes into the series. That's a bold, bold move.

I agree its very early. That's why I cannot think of any other possible plot lines to extend the show for the rest of this season plus another. Obviously they'd have to drag the process along, a lot, but other than using Brody to get Nazir I can't think of anything else. Can't wait to see where this goes that's for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Thought Sunday's episode was kinda boring, to be honest. Sort of a let down compared to what's happened the last two episodes, but I guess that had to happen considering how difficult/unrealistic it'd have been for them to match the intensity they managed by playing the capture of Brody this early.

Archived