• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Showtime's 'HOMELAND'

If there's anything Game of Thrones has shown us, it's that you can kill anyone.

I, for one, would gladly watch a show where Saul and Quinn are the focus, without the baby-mama-drama.

Not really. I don't want to get into spoiler territory, but GOT also has two balancing Protagonists. I just can't reveal who they actually are (for the sake of spoilers), becuase the way the story has been told to this point in the books, the development of them simply took longer. The characters killed to this point weren't actually protagonists, but more like very strong supporting leads who lost their required nature as the story itself developed.

In order to kill Carrie, the same thing would have to occur. You have to balance the actual protagonist of the show by building up a suitable replacement — someone people can rally behind when Carrie takes her last breath. It's not as easy as you think. Not in this genre, at least.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not really. I don't want to get into spoiler territory, but GOT also has two balancing Protagonists. I just can't reveal who they actually are (for the sake of spoilers), becuase the way the story has been told to this point in the books, the development of them simply took longer. The characters killed to this point weren't actually protagonists, but more like very strong supporting leads who lost their required nature as the story itself developed.

In order to kill Carrie, the same thing would have to occur. You have to balance the actual protagonist of the show by building up a suitable replacement — someone people can rally behind when Carrie takes her last breath. It's not as easy as you think. Not in this genre, at least.

Right. But I think this group of writers can do it. They managed to completely un-do the stupidity of Carrie having Brodie's kid in 47 minutes. :rofl:

Right. But I think this group of writers can do it. They managed to completely un-do the stupidity of Carrie having Brodie's kid in 47 minutes. :rofl:

It's kind of hilarious the way they wrote that out of the show.

I mean, if it were me, I'd just have had her get an abortion. It's clear that her kid really is of no consequence at all to her career. She's basically walked away from the idea of parenthood, figuratively and literally, that it's not even on the back-burner anymore. It's non-existent.

I'm not against the idea of killing Carrie, for the record. I just know it can effectively kill the show, because it's actually more shocking than killing Brodie or any other recurring character. She's the POV, love her or hate her, so in offing her you have to have a firm footing with who the show will fall back on. As far as I'm concerned, the only character (right now) who is capable of shouldering that load is Saul. Quinn is a dark horse, but would require a fuck ton more growth before they could pull that off.

I cracked up when the kid got shot. Immediately thought to myself "HA HA! I bet Pete and Dave are pissed that wasn't Carrie".

Personally, I'm A-OK with him dying. He was rather annoying. Too meek to last long in this world, in that role.

Homeland, which was picked up for a 12-episode fifth season, has been averaging 6 million weekly viewers, while The Affair?which will return with a 10-episode sophomore run?draws 3.9 million weekly viewers.

?In its fourth season, Homeland has brilliantly reinvented itself,? Showtime President David Nevins says. ?It continues to capture the attention of a devoted fan base, and has provided an enviable platform for the successful launch of The Affair. With thought-provoking, relevant and addictive storylines, both series have been embraced, dissected and much debated week after week. We?re excited to see more from these complex shows in 2015.?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/10/showtime-renews-homeland-affair/?hootPostID=86dfae6748aeabfdbada009cb4114920

• 1 month later...

So that was easily the worst episode of the entire series. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen. But nothing did. I will say my friends and I did get a few minutes of enjoyment making fun of that hideous ginger hell spawn they cast as the daughter.

Utter garbage.

Yeah, wasn't feeling it. I saw that twist coming a mile away, too, with Quinn.

I was really hoping that we'd get something a lot better regarding Dar Adal and Pakistan. Something more than just... that.

And holy fuck, her daughter is ugly as sin! My wife was in tears laughing last night because when the first scene with her happened, my gut reaction was (out loud) "ew, ugly".

I was not sure if the daughter was maybe a down syndrome baby... watch your tongues gentlemen.

But I'd agree, after the last couple of episodes this was all about nothing but there has to be some down time. It has always been suggested to me by a pal that he wonders where Saul's real allegiance lies...

I was not sure if the daughter was made a down syndrome baby... watch your tongues gentlemen.

But I'd agree, after the last couple of episodes this was all about nothing but there has to be some down time. It has always been suggested to me by a pal that he wonders where Saul's real allegiance lies...

She certainly looks it. My wife said the same thing.

Very dull season finale. I guess we should have expected that considering the past few episodes were pretty exciting. The whole episode felt contrived at the last minute. It just also feels like the same recipe — Carrie gets betrayed yet again by Saul, Quinn goes back, Carrie feels the world is collapsing again. I would have liked for the episode to end revealing something, some little detail to hang onto. Perhaps Carrie going into Lockhart's office with the door closing, just something.

The one thing that I got out of this episode, is that Dar Adal will be bigger. Nothing in his personality says that he met with Haqqani out of his friendship with Saul. Obviously he obtained a promise for Haqqani over territory as well. But there has to be something more there.

• 7 months later...
Homeland is taking on some major geo-political players in season 5.

Despite pulling out of the Middle East and relocating to Germany for the upcoming season, Showtime?s espionage thriller will take on Russian president Vladimir Putin and Muslim extremist group ISIS, said Showtime president David Nevins.

?The first episode?s going to real deal with Russia, being right next to Russia ? what?s Putin up to? What?s going on with this tricky relationship there?? Nevins told reporters at the Television Critics Association?s press tour on Tuesday. ?It deals with ISIS. [Homeland producers have] shown the ability to have a new fresh story. I feel like this story is a very fresh story. It?s themes, I think, will resonate with people. Charlie Hebdo. [NSA leaker Edward] Snowden. It?s interesting elements to this season that brings a lot of things together. As long as they keep it fresh, it?s a show that?s never the same season after season.?

Says Nevins: ?Berlin is a crossroads. It?s a crossroads between the old eastern block and the western block. It?s a crossroads between Western Europe and the Muslim world. It?s also a place with the strictest privacy laws in the world. This season explores all those themes and how they all come together.?

Previously Homeland showrunner Alex Gansa suggested that ISIS might simply be ?too evil? to successfully dramatize in a television show. Nevins, however, said the show will go there. ?It?s going to touch [iSIS],? he said. ?It?s going to touch all those things. It?s a show that reflects the world that we live in. We?ll see. I feel very confident with what their doing.?

And the Putin storyline?

?What?s going on with Ukraine ? that?s one of the subjects,? the executive said.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/11/homeland-isis-putin?hootPostID=19b30efdb1d550023910bbb6aae780ca

--

Effin' A, Cotton. Effin' A!

• 2 months later...
Felt like the first episode was a little confusing, but through two I'm officially hooked into this season again.

"M A T H I S O _ " ...

As soon as Saul said he was going to put a name in the box and Quinn would take them out I knew Carrie was going to be the next name.

As soon as Saul said he was going to put a name in the box and Quinn would take them out I knew Carrie was going to be the next name.

Yeah, heavy foreshadowing.

Clearly this won't happen, so I'm really interested in how she survives.

• 2 months later...

I'll be honest, I lost a lot of interest in this season. I just felt like Allison was such a weak low-lying villian. If you're going to go with that plot, go full 24 and go with your Tony Almeida. That would have meant Quinn, not Allison.

Still, the whole Quinn storyline is heartbreaking.

• 1 year later...

Archived