• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

Mom told me to call my dad and try to get him to maybe push the funeral to Monday as opposed to Sunday for obvious reasons, but I cant reach him. Hes probably driving to Brooklyn but usually answers via bluetooth. Is it weird that I feel worse for my dad because he basically has to deal with all this on his own for the time being than I do about my grandpa?

I'm so sorry, man. What you're going through here is very normal. You said you knew it was coming, but it came at a particularly bad time. That's definitely additional hardship on those left behind and you are right to feel for your father and what he goes through besides the grief of losing a parent.

I mean it's not so much a bad time as it is just bad timing, with everyone in the family relatively spread out this weekend

And with my dad the past 5 years have been rough since he mostly dealt with his father's issues on his own, since my elderly grandmother can only do so much and even then did so much that it compromised her own health. Hopefully now that this happened it'll destress my dad a little bit.

While we're on the subject I'd also like to point out that jews needing to bury the dead right away is very counterproductive to the whole funeral process. There's like a week's worth of planning involved that you need to effectively get done in 2 days tops

Mom told me to call my dad and try to get him to maybe push the funeral to Monday as opposed to Sunday for obvious reasons, but I cant reach him. Hes probably driving to Brooklyn but usually answers via bluetooth. Is it weird that I feel worse for my dad because he basically has to deal with all this on his own for the time being than I do about my grandpa?

Sorry, man. I know what you're family is going through and what your feeling isn't weird. A few months ago, my great-grandmother passed at 96 with dementia. The last few years have been so harrowing on my grandmother, her caregiver, that we were hoping for her sake that she would go peacefully. It feels wrong to think about it, but my great-grandmother lived a long, proud life. I want my grandmother to be around for that long, but caring for her mother was becoming way too much for her.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your grandfather man, I understand the feeling. Grandma that lived with me passed away two weeks ago. She was sick for a long time and my Mom was her primary caretaker. The end was very hard and when it happened I felt like I got hit with a pound of bricks. Had same issue with family spread out as well in terms of planning and it was a tough situation considering size of family . So much it that had been a big part of my life for last 2 years. If you need someone to talk to, I'm all ears.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The largest lion in Africa, who was one of the most well-known big cats in the world. He was a collared cat who was used in endless studies on lions in Zimbabwe.

People have cared about illegal poaching and trophy hunting for a while. He's simply the latest victim and his popularity has now sprung the conversation national/global (again). Its a good thing. Trophy hunting is terrible. As is poaching.

There are only four white rhinos left on the planet because of bullshit like this (as well as the backwards belief that their horns cure cancer and impotence).

African Elephants are also facing extinction within ten years due to both barbaric practices.

Well, you don't really know that. I've given a shit about poaching for a while. I've donated to two different wildlife sanctuaries in the last two years. I just don't tend to talk about it as much as I do other issues I find more important.

But I'd also argue it doesn't matter if they cared in the past year. If this one lion being poached is what tips the scales, good. Poaching is a horrific, barbaric practice. As is trophy hunting (since the two can technically be different). The more people that know about them because of Cecil's death, the better. Maybe it'll finally increase the pressure on nations that sanction these types of hunts to outlaw them?