• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Ghost of Foley's – General Chat

Pete

Well, my final grandparent passed away late last night. Sucks. The thought of no longer having grandparents makes me really realize just how old I am.

I'm sorry for your loss, Parsley. I know just how you feel. :(

Last night the man I saw as my (only) grandfather passed away as well. I never knew my actual grandfathers and he really took that role, because of the amount of time I got to spend with him growing up. He was a family friend, not actual family, but my life and youth were shaped by the many months I got to enjoy on his farm in the south of Germany. He had been battling cancer for three years now, so we knew it was coming, but still so difficult to accept.

We've been contemplating going to his funeral all day, but it's a 400 mile drive and we've spoken to his children and they suggested not visiting the funeral, but visiting all of them in a few weeks from now. There's nothing we can do for him anymore and there's more we can do for them if we visit next month. It's hard though. It feels awful to skip someone's funeral, when there's a minor chance you can make it in time.

Well, my final grandparent passed away late last night. Sucks. The thought of no longer having grandparents makes me really realize just how old I am.

Anyway, headed back home to LI for the funeral this weekend. My dad, while lucky to have both his parents live well into their 80s loses them both just over a year from each other.

I'm sorry to hear that, man. My condolences to you and yours.

Anyway, headed back home to LI for the funeral this weekend. My dad, while lucky to have both his parents live well into their 80s loses them both just over a year from each other.

Sorry for your loss Parsley. I can relate with the getting old statement. I know how you feel.

I'm sorry for your loss, Parsley. I know just how you feel. :(

Last night the man I saw as my (only) grandfather passed away as well. I never knew my actual grandfathers and he really took that role, because of the amount of time I got to spend with him growing up. He was a family friend, not actual family, but my life and youth were shaped by the many months I got to enjoy on his farm in the south of Germany. He had been battling cancer for three years now, so we knew it was coming, but still so difficult to accept.

We've been contemplating going to his funeral all day, but it's a 400 mile drive and we've spoken to his children and they suggested not visiting the funeral, but visiting all of them in a few weeks from now. There's nothing we can do for him anymore and there's more we can do for them if we visit next month. It's hard though. It feels awful to skip someone's funeral, when there's a minor chance you can make it in time.

Ugh, sorry to hear that Jules. :(

Thanks again to everyone else for the kind words. I leave for LI around 4am Friday to miss the morning rush.....don't need a stressful drive back home to start what will be a long, emotional day.

Sorry to hear bro. Take care and take care of your family.

Just found out I got a real big boy job! I got a union job making double what I'm making right now. Literally double. I'm finally going to be able to breathe easy and know I am going to be able to provide for my family for a long long time. Great pay/benefits/pension. I'm set! So happy right now!
  • Like 1

Just found out I got a real big boy job! I got a union job making double what I'm making right now. Literally double. I'm finally going to be able to breathe easy and know I am going to be able to provide for my family for a long long time. Great pay/benefits/pension. I'm set! So happy right now!

Congrats man!

The Democratic Party appreciates your vote in the future.

So here's a fan's dilemma: we're awful right now. You can pretty much call Saturday in Pittsburgh a loss already. Then Monday we have the Canes at home, but we're playing in NJ the following night. I was offered a ticket to that game. 10 people from my school are going, which is right down the road. I have class until 6:00, so the timing is perfect. Grab a bite to eat, head in to the arena. Already parked in the morning.

Now here's the problem: with how heinous the team has been, is it worth it to drop the $50 to go to Prudential Center, watch us play uninspired and exhausted hockey (we've been terrible on the second game of back-to-backs), and take a whole load of shit from Devils fans? Or do I roll the dice and go, since winning in that arena is so incredibly satisfying on the off chance it happens?

High risk, high reward. I'd love to go out and support the Rangers and get a little more blue in the seats, but with how bad this team is, it's pretty much a 75% chance that we lose that game, and I don't want to be anywhere near Prudential Center when that happens. So what would you do? Go out and support the team, or hide away at home to avoid the embarrassment?

So here's a fan's dilemma: we're awful right now. You can pretty much call Saturday in Pittsburgh a loss already. Then Monday we have the Canes at home, but we're playing in NJ the following night. I was offered a ticket to that game. 10 people from my school are going, which is right down the road. I have class until 6:00, so the timing is perfect. Grab a bite to eat, head in to the arena. Already parked in the morning.

Now here's the problem: with how heinous the team has been, is it worth it to drop the $50 to go to Prudential Center, watch us play uninspired and exhausted hockey (we've been terrible on the second game of back-to-backs), and take a whole load of shit from Devils fans? Or do I roll the dice and go, since winning in that arena is so incredibly satisfying on the off chance it happens?

High risk, high reward. I'd love to go out and support the Rangers and get a little more blue in the seats, but with how bad this team is, it's pretty much a 75% chance that we lose that game, and I don't want to be anywhere near Prudential Center when that happens. So what would you do? Go out and support the team, or hide away at home to avoid the embarrassment?

Color me confused.

Nice, now you don't have to work anymore.

That's awesome dude! Congratulations!

I could not be happier for you. Well-deserved, man! :cheers:

Color me confused.

Hey, if I stopped supporting the Rangers every time they've been terrible, I would've stopped watching in 1997. The question is: subject myself to almost certain abuse by Devils fans, but do my part in cheering for the Blueshirts? Or go home after class and watch the game from the safety of my living room, free from any heckling?

What are you going to be doing Chizz?

Not sure of the exact job title, but i'll be doing concrete work. Patch work and finishing concrete. The company I'll be working for works along side National Grid, Con Edison and others like them.

A pretty big regional newspaper wrote a wonderful memorial article on my late friends sports career and life. He was in the 1960 Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley, CA, despite growing up in relative poverty in a very small town in the middle of the woods in southern Germany. He was such an inspiration, such a great friend and he lived a life to be jealous of. I will miss him a lot.

Google translate makes the article pretty readable, for those of you interested:

Siegfried Weiss: from farm kid to Olympian

He was a representative of a golden generation. Back then, in the late 50s and early 60s, Black Forest farm kids dominated nordic (cross country) skiing. Siegfried was one of them. He won nine German national titles and was a four time Olympian - including the 1960 Olympics in Squaw Valley, USA.

http://i.imgur.com/6U82Gb5.jpg

(My friend is on the left.)

More: http://www.badische-zeitung.de/wintersport-1/siegfried-weiss-einer-der-erfolgreichsten-schwarzwaelder-skilanglaeufer-ist-tot--70052257.html

---

I'll miss him so much, but I'm very grateful he was in my life for such a long time. He taught me many valuable lessons and shared many amazing stories from his sports career.