• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 ECSF #2: Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes — Cry Harder

13 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Thinking about this game, there's this weird paradox where Igor gave up three goals but somehow simultaneously stopped everything. 

He made the saves when they mattered. Timing of saves is just as important as the amount of saves. Such an unquantifiable but real occurrence. 

• Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Thinking about this game, there's this weird paradox where Igor gave up three goals but somehow simultaneously stopped everything. 

Two of the goals were redirected and go  in against pretty much every goalie in the league.  The third goal he almost saved. 

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

You’re right, all secondary masterpieces - one was a blocked shot, Fox made an unbelievable play on another…

Roslovic has been more noticeable, let that one simmer

The defensive attention he is siphoning away from Laf and Trocheck leaves them room to operate. And operate they did.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, RangerDanger said:

You should see the Canes message boards right now, they clearly disagree. Never mind the fact they've had 10 PPs and haven't scored on one yet lol

I think we should all throw in a few bucks n send them a truckload of fudgy the whale

8 minutes ago, Dem said:

I think we should all throw in a few bucks n send them a truckload of fudgy the whale

Rather send them some of those "CRY" shirts with a different color palette.

• LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

I guess it wasn’t all Crosby, dude can play.  But you know if the Rangers got him, it would be a completely different story

he's a finisher.  he needs someone to dish it to him.  I dont think he'd fit on the rangers tho.  He would play with Z and Kreider but Kreider cant pass for shit and Z hasnt been great at setting up players either. 

2 hours ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

You’re right, all secondary masterpieces - one was a blocked shot, Fox made an unbelievable play on another…

Roslovic has been more noticeable, let that one simmer

Panarin is similar box cars to Trocheck, and in most cases better metrics in all situations, yet one is talked about as Conn Smythe and you're ragging Panarin. WHo cares if a goal came off a blacked shot from a player who you complained didn't shoot the puck enough? The playoffs are about broken plays.

I think a lot of it is just your view of the player, which is not at all objective.

• BREAD! 2

11 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

The defensive attention he is siphoning away from Laf and Trocheck leaves them room to operate. And operate they did.

First the theory is Panarin’s skill makes them better, now it’s this….got it.  All I know, aside from the game where he concussed Oshie, we haven’t seen regular season Panarin.

It hasn't been regular season Panarin (mainly because it's incredibly hard to maintain that level and pace in the playoffs), but it's not been anywhere near 2023 playoffs Panarin either. He's moving his feet, he's fighting for pucks, he's aggressive every time he has the puck and he shoots a lot.

He has 3 GWG's, 7 points and a +1 (been a minus player every playoffs as a Ranger) in 6 games. Last night he played over 32 minutes, 3 points and 4 hits (most by any Ranger forward!).

I was one of his biggest critics last summer and I spent most of the season saying "October is not April", but I'm happily eating crow now. He's doing it in May and I'm loving it.

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 2
  • Believe 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

It hasn't been regular season Panarin (mainly because it's incredibly hard to maintain that level and pace in the playoffs), but it's not been anywhere near 2023 playoffs Panarin either. He's moving his feet, he's fighting for pucks, he's aggressive every time he has the puck and he shoots a lot.

He has 3 GWG's, 7 points and a +1 (been a minus player every playoffs as a Ranger) in 6 games. Last night he played over 32 minutes, 3 points and 4 hits (most by any Ranger forward!).

I was one of his biggest critics last summer and I spent most of the season saying "October is not April", but I'm happily eating crow now. He's doing it in May and I'm loving it.

All of this, and it's also a really odd time to be complaining about anybody on the team. 

They're undefeated in the playoffs. 

Can they at least lose (once) before we start pointing fingers at players?

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1

He helps create that 2nd goal with the cut to the middle, taking a defender with him - just because Fox made a great play, doesn't mean Panarin shouldn't get any credit. He also cut to the middle of the ice later in the game and got a good shot off in the high slot. He's producing and he's doing the right things. 

• BREAD! 1

I went to bed before the 2nd OT...which was stupid because I tossed and turned all night wondering who won. Clocking in at 4:30 sucks.

Never again, I'd rather be exhausted from actually watching.  

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I thought he was definitely fighting it a bit at times, but still a top tier performance by him. I also noticed how well the Rangers were at clearing rebounds or just protecting the front in general after saves.

He definitely was fighting it. There were a lot of unclean stops, dropping or fumbling catchable shots, somewhat shaky rebound control, but this is what elite goalies do. They fight through and persevere, when they aren’t exactly playing up to their A+ level and still get the job done. By the time it hit OT he seemed to be gobbling almost everything up clean by then - like he had finally hit a groove.

Edited by BrooksBurner

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

he's a finisher.  he needs someone to dish it to him.  I dont think he'd fit on the rangers tho.  He would play with Z and Kreider but Kreider cant pass for shit and Z hasnt been great at setting up players either. 

He’s only ever played the left side.

And he’s played it oh so well… as a clutch performer.

Hes proven he’s a great player in his spot.

Hes proven he can easily play with great players.

But you need to keep him on his side.

He’s the player you never move. 

Guentzel is one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

And has been for a number of years.

Name 10 left wingers who’ve been better than him over the last 5-6 seasons?

You cant.

No one can.

Cause they don’t exist. 

Edited by RangersIn7

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s only ever played the left side.

And he’s played it oh so well… as a clutch performer.

Hes proven he’s a great player in his spot.

Hes proven he can easily play with great players.

But you need to keep him on his side.

He’s the player you never move. 

Guentzel is one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

And has been for a number of years.

Name 10 left wingers who’ve been better than him over the last 5-6 seasons?

You cant.

No one can.

Cause they don’t exist. 

They exist. In the same world where Mika isn't good at setting up other players. 

You really can't make this shit up. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

All of this, and it's also a really odd time to be complaining about anybody on the team. 

They're undefeated in the playoffs. 

Can they at least lose (once) before we start pointing fingers at players?

Yeah

Can we just watch and enjoy them play the hockey they’re clearly good at playing and clearly enjoying. They’re clearly in this shit for one another and their coaches and all of that.

This is a really good group who could win it all.

Lets just enjoy that.