• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Capitals Round One — General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

2 hours ago, Parsley said:

The league is a mess with regards to the points. Yea, it’s been this way for years but it needs to be changed. Isles and Caps in is sort of a joke. Not to say they can’t steal a series but neither really earned it IMO. 

Bring on the 3-2-1 point system or change OT/and dumb shootout point awarding. 

There are two playoff teams in the Eastern Conference with sub-500 records. The Caps are one of them - 40-42 with 11 failure points, and the Islanders are the other - 38-43 with an astonishing 16 failure points. 

The truth of the league is that the 7th best team in the East is probably either the Sabres or the Devils. Neither is in the playoffs.

Regardless, let's just run over the Caps and the bevy of "who the fuck are these guys" beyond their second line.

• Bullseye 1

Wow - those other 3 series are lookin like dogfights. Hopefully we make quick work of the caps, but then you also hope were ready to step it up a notch for our own dogfight.

Edited by Jdog99

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If anyone who pumped the Rangers' tires all year and then voted 6 or 7 games against this shitty Caps team, I have a bone to pick with you for a lack of follow through in the art of conviction

Can’t under estimate the Caps. They SHOULD beat them but caps have been hot lately and you never know which Rangers team will show up. 

11 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Wow - those other 3 series are lookin like dogfights. Hopefully we make quick work of the caps, but then you also hope were ready to step it up a notch for our own dogfight.

this is why the 1 seed is so important

Im confident we can beat Carolina in a 7 game series. But a spirited series against the Isles who will play them tough helps us. The Atlantic teams will beat up on each other. If we get by Carolina whoever comes out of the other division will have played some real tough hockey and we'll be fresher

6 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Rangers in 6 because nothing is ever easy for this team. I fucking hate the Capitals and their stupid goal siren, cheer horn, and mouthbreathing fans. At least Braden Holtby isn't around anymore. 

Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

50 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

There are two playoff teams in the Eastern Conference with sub-500 records. The Caps are one of them - 40-42 with 11 failure points, and the Islanders are the other - 38-43 with an astonishing 16 failure points. 

The truth of the league is that the 7th best team in the East is probably either the Sabres or the Devils. Neither is in the playoffs.

Regardless, let's just run over the Caps and the bevy of "who the fuck are these guys" beyond their second line.

Be careful on the loser’s point thing.

It’s a good indicator that a team isn’t so good and yes, usually those teams get exposed and go home early. 

2011-12 LA Kings went 40-27-15. Lost more games than they won. Eeked into the playoffs as an 8th seed, went on a heater, and won the Cup. 

13 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Be careful on the loser’s point thing.

It’s a good indicator that a team isn’t so good and yes, usually those teams get exposed and go home early. 

2011-12 LA Kings went 40-27-15. Lost more games than they won. Eeked into the playoffs as an 8th seed, went on a heater, and won the Cup. 

It's not a reliable indicator of anything, other than it means said team is either bad in regular season OT hockey or the shootout, both of which are meaningless for how good a team is especially come playoff time.

It should be noted that LAK were 6th in xGF%/HDCF% that year, which is a more reliable indicator for the strength of a team - and they were strong.

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

This one's over in 5!  I think we're going to see that this Rangers team wants it badly.

Edit:  Oh, and Fuck Tom Wilson!

I agree screw Tom Wilson! We have Rempe if need be and I don’t think it will come to that but we have him incase Wilson decides to take liberty on some of our players! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's not a reliable indicator of anything, other than it means said team is either bad in regular season OT hockey or the shootout, both of which are meaningless for how good a team is especially come playoff time.

It should be noted that LAK were 6th in xGF%/HDCF% that year, which is a more reliable indicator for the strength of a team - and they were strong.

Talk about the metrics all you want.

They were great defensively and in goal… 2nd in the league in GA.

But 2nd to last in goals for.

They got hot at the right time, Carter was a big addition for them, and they capitalized on the fact that their style of play was conducive to playoff hockey. 

19 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They got hot at the right time, Carter was a big addition for them, and they capitalized on the fact that their style of play was conducive to playoff hockey. 

Just like Washington for the last month or two. lol Nothing will come easily.

24 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

This is true.

Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked to see xGF% fall to the wayside as a team stat that anyone cares about, similar to Corsi and Fenwick. First of all, it's too subjective, and secondly, as we discussed—an expected goal doesn't always materialize for some players the way it might for others (MacKinnon vs Kakko as stated).

Edited by Pete

The only issue that I see in the series is the Caps were very good defensively, they have a hot goalie and the Rangers seemingly can't score until they're down.

I'm worried.

28 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah well I’d argue that it was just production normalizing up to meet expectation.

In either case, it’s silly to use OTL as an indicator of…really anything.

The season record doesn't mean much, when it comes to the playoff, other than seeding the teams. It pretty much will boil down to who wants it more, put in the effort for 60 minutes for each games. I picked Rangers in five....

37 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah well I’d argue that it was just production normalizing up to meet expectation.

In either case, it’s silly to use OTL as an indicator of…really anything.

That’s entirely possible.

I just don’t get too hung up on analytics.

They fill in a picture, they don’t paint one on their own.

My point I guess is that winning or losing a lot of games in gimmick OT or a shootout can be misleading.

Look At that Panthers team 2 years ago. They won 16 games in OT and SO.

Thats not sustainable in the playoffs when those rules go away.

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is true.

Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked to see xGF% fall to the wayside as a team stat that anyone cares about, similar to Corsi and Fenwick. First of all, it's too subjective, and secondly, as we discussed—an expected goal doesn't always materialize for some players the way it might for others (MacKinnon vs Kakko as stated).

I may be wrong about this, but if it’s anything like baseball, and their analytic stats and metrics, I believe that many sites as well as teams have their own proprietary way of calculating them.

Many similarities but some significant differences too.

Again… might be wrong.

37 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The only issue that I see in the series is the Caps were very good defensively, they have a hot goalie and the Rangers seemingly can't score until they're down.

I'm worried.

That’s looking at it from one angle, and that’s at the Caps. Look at it from theirs. Their one strength right now is arguably Lindgren. And he’s, at the very least, going to be matched by Shesterkin. The Rangers score more, defend better, have a better coach, have more depth, have better special teams.

Rarely do you see a series that can be a walk in the park. But if this one isn’t for the Rangers, even as good as Lindgren is playing right now, then we don’t deserve to have any expectations.

• Believe 1