• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Capitals — Round One General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This team is different because they don't bleed chances at 5v5 anymore and they get contributions from more than four players. 

I don't care if it's too simplistic, sometimes the simplest explanation is the explanation. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pete said:

This team is different because they don't bleed chances at 5v5 anymore and they get contributions from more than four players. 

I don't care if it's too simplistic, sometimes the simplest explanation is the explanation. 

Maybe not bleeding chances, but they're not creating them either. 8-7 at 5v5 against this Capitals team is bad.

You used to complain that without Igor standing on his head and the PP being on fire this team would lose. It's the same now, but you're acting like it's a completely different team.

• Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

You use the same sites I do.

NST had 5v5 scoring chances at 79-59 in favor of Washington. xGF 55 to 45 in favor of Washington. HDC 31-22 in favor of Washington.

It just didn’t matter because Washington couldn’t convert on Shesterkin.

29 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Maybe not bleeding chances, but they're not creating them either. 8-7 at 5v5 against this Capitals team is bad.

You used to complain that without Igor standing on his head and the PP being on fire this team would lose. It's the same now, but you're acting like it's a completely different team.

It's a different team, they are not the same. Not bleeding chances is significant. They were also one of the top teams in the league in high danger chances against under GG, but they've improved that this year. I posted all the numbers already. Every goalie needs to stand on their head at some point. But Igor has to do it less than he used to. 

And while I'm sure there are times Igor is a .930 goalie, They don't need him to be that to win. They don't need the team to score on the power play to win. They were winning games when Igor wasn't a god and the power play wasn't automatic.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

38 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Given our special teams, I'll play to a modest advantage at 5v5 and take my chances on our PP and PK being the better special teams unit. We'll win that game more often than not, and hey, you only need to be marginally better than .500 to win a cup anyway.

18 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Given our special teams, I'll play to a modest advantage at 5v5 and take my chances on our PP and PK being the better special teams unit. We'll win that game more often than not, and hey, you only need to be marginally better than .500 to win a cup anyway.

That is all true, but Carolina has great special teams and a hot goalie too. I would give us an edge in both categories, but it’s not huge and most of the games are played at 5v5. Knowing we couldn’t even outchance Caps at 5v5 I do think it can get really ugly at times in the next round.

Shesterkin seems to be at this best when he’s facing a lot of shots tho. Hopefully he has a great series.

Look the truth is that outside of the series we just swept, the rest of the road is a toss up with very very minor advantages in favor either way, and we hold most of those minor advantages over every other team. If you were betting this year you’d place your money on the rangers because they proved in the regular season they can win consistently like this and they just won four in a row like this. If you were smart you wouldn’t bet a lot because it really is that close. It’s a unique year. May seven teams are legitimate contenders. It’s going to come down to execution and a bounce here and there all other things equal. 

• Believe 1

21 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Well as Brooks pointed out this team actually struggled at 5v5 this series.

Total scoreline over 5 games were 15-9. 5 on the PP (1 was EN), 2 on the PK. Capitals had 2 PP goals.

So at 5v5 the total scoreline was 8-7. Half of those 5v5 goals came in the first game. So going 1-0 with 67% xG is actually really good in comparison to the rest of the team, which is a scary thought tbh.

That is scary. I think you could ask this line to be better 5v5 considering that's all they do, minus the occasional Wennberg PK. 

On 4/29/2024 at 8:01 PM, Valriera said:

Look the truth is that outside of the series we just swept, the rest of the road is a toss up with very very minor advantages in favor either way, and we hold most of those minor advantages over every other team. If you were betting this year you’d place your money on the rangers because they proved in the regular season they can win consistently like this and they just won four in a row like this. If you were smart you wouldn’t bet a lot because it really is that close. It’s a unique year. May seven teams are legitimate contenders. It’s going to come down to execution and a bounce here and there all other things equal. 

Every team going in to the second round, including the Rangers is in the same weight class. Doesn't guarantee we win round 2 or the cup but we def have a chance w anyone if we are playing well. Agree w you Val some series are just going to come down to one or two mistakes and or puck luck. 

Going to fun!!

• Phil changed the title to Rangers-Capitals — Round One General Series Thread