• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Capitals Round One — General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Phil changed the title to Rangers-Capitals Round One — General Series Thread

Washington plays hard and play a playoff style. The Rangers play harder and are just overall better up and down the lineup. Caps are older now. Their numbers are ugly. They did play us tough. Lindgren played excellent against us. But this was a season series that was played within a 7 week stretch, and 2 of those games were played during our awful run in January.

Washingtons only hope is Lindgren to goalie us all series and for the forwards to get frustrated. But as good as he’s been, we have someone to match him save for save. And I think he’ll bend against our offense more than Igor will against theirs. Add in the fact Laviolette is extremely well versed in just about everything about a lot of their key guys, and the fact the Rangers are hungry after last year, I don’t see how the Rangers don’t run away with this one.

I am going to guess 5 games. I’ll give Lindgren a game, maybe even one in MSG. But I think the Rangers ultimately can make quick work here of a team that they’re better than in every facet.

• Keeps it 100 1

Specific predictions give me the willies but of all the teams competing for the WC2 spot I felt that the Capitals were the best matchup for us if for no other reason than they have been running on fumes for the last two months just to get in.  They won their cup this year by just getting across the starting line so to speak.

Edited to add.

Meanwhile I hope the Hurricanes and Islanders beat each other to a pulp in 7

Edited by Kick save and a beauty

The thing that could hurt the Rangers the most in this series, believe it or not, is themselves. The way they’ve played this year, they have earned the right for many to believe that this is a different team and a new mindset. But the truth is, until it’s seen, you won’t have that belief from everyone. This is a series that many believe they should runaway with. Just about the only thing that could truly hurt them here is if they give Washington life early on. You have to come out right from the opening draw on Sunday and leave no doubt. 

This is a series that can be beneficial because they need to, need to need to need to, preserve energy at some point. Not everything can be a 7-game marathon. I’m not looking by the Caps here. But, look at all of the other matchups in the East. They’re coin flips that can go 6 or 7. You’re gonna have 3 teams come out of this 1st Round beat up. The Rangers would be wise to jump out early, never let off the throttle and take advantage of this opportunity to beat a team they are just better than.

Booooooring. Tired of playing Capitals and Penguins in the playoffs. I really wanted Detroit this time (fuck off Flyers).

I'm not so sure about the outcome. They should win this in 4 or 5, but it is the "never make it easy" Rangers we're talking about here. I voted Rangers in 5, but I'm leaning more toward Rangers in 6 now. They'll blow one of the first two and then lose the first game after they've won 3.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Capitals have the 3rd worst goal differential in the entire east (-37). How's it even possible to make the playoffs with that lol. Buffalo has +2, Ottawa -26.

The league is a mess with regards to the points. Yea, it’s been this way for years but it needs to be changed. Isles and Caps in is sort of a joke. Not to say they can’t steal a series but neither really earned it IMO. 

Bring on the 3-2-1 point system or change OT/and dumb shootout point awarding. 

Edited by Parsley

This should be an easy four or five games and if it isn’t, we can probably kiss the cup goodbye this year. We play the worst team in the playoffs, so we need to take advantage of that and beat them quickly to get the rest so that the next three series against very good teams we will have some more energy. 

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

Fuck man, gotta deal with TJ Oshie who seems to score big goals, and scores a bunch vs. the Rangers.  

Now we are going to have the Lindgren's storyline, and Charlie Lindgren has played very well vs. the Rangers.  

And Ovechkin had a strong finish to his season as well. Considering how started, to wind up with over 30, is quite something. The Rangers need to make this a quick series or they're asking for trouble.

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Booooooring. Tired of playing Capitals and Penguins in the playoffs. I really wanted Detroit this time (fuck off Flyers).

I'm not so sure about the outcome. They should win this in 4 or 5, but it is the "never make it easy" Rangers we're talking about here. I voted Rangers in 5, but I'm leaning more toward Rangers in 6 now. They'll blow one of the first two and then lose the first game after they've won 3.

The Rangers are favored against the Capitals (rightly) just like any other possible matchup they could have gotten.  Full-stop.

For a fan, I understand that playing Detroit would be different and novel.  Watching the last few games, I thought the Islanders, Red Wings and the Penguins would be the toughest possible matchups with how they are playing.  The Red Wings should have lost both games against Montreal, but through will, skill and luck, managed to pull things out - they're got some young players that are continually getting better and don't know their ceiling yet and would be unknown how they would do in a playoff series- so there's reason for optimism in Detroit.

We know what we're getting with Washington, so there shouldn't be any surprises - the coaching staff should be able to put the players in situations where they can execute and have opportunities to be successful.

Just now, fletch said:

The Rangers are favored against the Capitals (rightly) just like any other possible matchup they could have gotten.  Full-stop.

For a fan, I understand that playing Detroit would be different and novel.  Watching the last few games, I thought the Islanders, Red Wings and the Penguins would be the toughest possible matchups with how they are playing.  The Red Wings should have lost both games against Montreal, but through will, skill and luck, managed to pull things out - they're got some young players that are continually getting better and don't know their ceiling yet and would be unknown how they would do in a playoff series- so there's reason for optimism in Detroit.

We know what we're getting with Washington, so there shouldn't be any surprises - the coaching staff should be able to put the players in situations where they can execute and have opportunities to be successful.

Some preferred Detroit because of their shaky goaltending situation. Reimer and Lyon don't really scare you in a seven-game series. They do have some very good talent up front, and will most likely make the playoffs next year. Honestly, the Rangers should beat any of these possible first round teams regardless. Also, Laviolette knows a thing or two about Washington, even though that was awhile ago.

• TroCheckmark 1

You know Wilson is going to go hard physically after Panarin, and he's a special kind of scumbag. 

I don't think Rempe helps. I mean you can dress him but we know it won't be a deterrent because if a guy is injured, a fight doesn't change anything, and Wilson isn't scared of anyone. 

After that Wilson incident, Panarin never seemed the same whenever they played Washington. I think he was definitely still spooked to me. This year's Panarin has been a different animal, though, so we'll see. We're going to need the Panarin we got this year to have any chance at a deep run.

• TroCheckmark 1

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

You know Wilson is going to go hard physically after Panarin, and he's a special kind of scumbag. 

I don't think Rempe helps. I mean you can dress him but we know it won't be a deterrent because if a guy is injured, a fight doesn't change anything, and Wilson isn't scared of anyone. 

Wilson is my biggest concern this series. Maybe a hot Lindgren, but more than anything it's WIlson doing Wilson shit, and us buying into it.

• Keeps it 100 2

Yeah I mentioned Panarin before, but I think Wilson is in their heads in general. I will think that way until proven otherwise, this is a great opportunity to exorcise those demons. It seems like we're more concerned with him than Ovechkin. lol