• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Capitals Round One — General Series Thread

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

9 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Indeed. I want this Panarin for the rest of his contract, not just this year. I am hopeful, as he looks like he's completely bought in and the most focused I've seen him, even in his past great seasons here.

I agree with this. As if the 120 points and 49 goals wasn't statement enough, he took last playoffs really hard and placed a lot of the blame on himself. 

Honestly, assuming we make it past them, I'm almost happy this was the first round matchup. If Panarin's blood is boiling, then he's not in his own head. The chippiness seems to only have engaged him more. 

Edited by Ranger Lothbrok

13 hours ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

I agree with this. As if the 120 points and 49 goals wasn't statement enough, he took last playoffs really hard and placed a lot of the blame on himself. 

Honestly, assuming we make it past them, I'm almost happy this was the first round matchup. If Panarin's blood is boiling, then he's not in his own head. The chippiness seems to only have engaged him more. 

Great to see that kind of accountability from your best players. Not that I never thought he didn't care, but it was good to see him taking last season so hard.

Vinny Trocheck man. Probably our best player for the first three games. He's everywhere when he's on the ice. Making great plays defensively and offensively, winning almost every draw and every fight to a loose puck. So far he has a 5v5 goal, a PP goal, a SH assist, two more assists and 9 hits while averaging over 22 minutes per game.

Neither of them are a top 10 C in the league, but there's not many center duos I'd take ahead of Zib-Tro. Both so reliable and great all round players.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 4
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 6

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Vinny Trocheck man. Probably our best player for the first three games. He's everywhere when he's on the ice. Making great plays defensively and offensively, winning almost every draw and every fight to a loose puck. So far he has a 5v5 goal, a PP goal, a SH assist, two more assists and 9 hits while averaging over 22 minutes per game.

Neither of them are a top 10 C in the league, but there's not many center duos I'd take ahead of Zib-Tro. Both so reliable and great all round players.

Drury deserves a lot of credit for ditching Strome for this man

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2
  • TroCheckmark 2

In Game 3 I came to see why the rest of the league is suffering from Rempe Derangement Syndrome and challenging him to fight on every shift.  It's because operating at one-third speed and gliding, he packs more wallop than most anyone else at full speed.  He unnerves them, probably with good reason.  I just want him to learn how to line someone up in open ice, like Trouba, because he's exponentially more likely to get called for penalties along the walls.

39 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

In Game 3 I came to see why the rest of the league is suffering from Rempe Derangement Syndrome and challenging him to fight on every shift.  It's because operating at one-third speed and gliding, he packs more wallop than most anyone else at full speed.  He unnerves them, probably with good reason.  I just want him to learn how to line someone up in open ice, like Trouba, because he's exponentially more likely to get called for penalties along the walls.

Open ice hits are dangerous for him.  If the guy he's hitting puts his head down - wham Rempe gets hit right in the balls.

• LMFAO 1
  • Applause 1

52 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Looking back at the replay, first contact on TVR was Rempe's hip to the middle of his chest. Think about that for a second.

43 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Open ice hits are dangerous for him.  If the guy he's hitting puts his head down - wham Rempe gets hit right in the balls.

This is what I call a great problem for the New York Rangers to have. If you hit Rempe to low he gets it in the groin and that’s a penalty. If you hit him high you get his elbows in your face. If you fight him it’s an automatic penalty and by the way the kid knows how to fight. Look at what Reaves said after he fought him.  

“He’s going to be a menace in this league,” said Reaves of Rempe, adding that he was wired and unable to fall asleep until 6:00 a.m. the next morning, via Luke Fox of Sportsnet

This is a great problem for the Rangers to have and an absolute fucking nightmare for opposing teams in the future. 

LGR!!!! 

• Believe 2

Rempe is a fast learner and he has shifted away from having to accept every dance. Should Trouba mentor him a bit on the open-ice hits, then he'll become a force of nature. There will be more fights to come, for certain, but he's learning to pick his spots and decline the absurd. Good on him. Good on LAV and the coaching staff and good on our squad who I'm sure have been talking to him.

PS - I don't see him gliding as was mentioned above. He may not be quick or as sure-footed as we would like to see but it's nothing an intensive summer skating camp cannot improve.

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

1 minute ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Rempe is a fast learner and he has shifted away from having to accept every dance. Should Trouba mentor him a bit on the open-ice hits, then he'll become a force of nature. There will be more fights to come, for certain, but he's learning to pick his spots and decline the absurd. Good on him. Good on LAV and the coaching staff and good on our squad who I'm sure have been talking to him.

PS - I don't see him gliding as was mentioned above. He may not be quick or as sure-footed as we would like to see but it's nothing an intensive summer skating camp cannot improve.

I agree with you 100%. Yes his skating has to improve. He is listening to Lavy and the coaching staff I was saying the same thing! 

26 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Lavi needs to be lobbying the league office like crazy to avoid the refs calling good hits as penalties on Rempe.  It can't hurt and it just may help.

But a bit like the Aaron Judge low strike zone it may be beyond the refs to make the correct adjustments. 

Dude that point about Aaron Judge I heard yesterday too after the Rangers game! That is correct… Judge gets too many called strikes cause of his height, it’s bullshit. Rempe is 7 feet tall when he’s on the ice. He hits people from a completely different angle. Also if he gets hit he has a right to defend himself with his arms/elbows which are generally in an opponents head. Rangers need to have Chris Drury call the NHL front office and make a case. Otherwise because to Rempe knocking people out of games. 

2 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Trouba is the Rempe of open ice hits. Half of them are illegal. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

With the Islanders extending the series the Rangers are in a really good position to take care of business and rest up while these two battle it out.

Go Icelanders! <gag>

Man that hurts rooting for them lol

I'm not as jaded as many of the posts here although I've been equally critical these past few months.  I think the Rangers in 4 is highly likely against Washington.  The Rangers play up to and down to their opponent.  Once the team figures out, or thinks, they have control of a game they lighten up and tighten up.  It has cost them all season in the weirdest ways against the weakest and weaker teams.  Which is what makes us all nervous.  Sometimes their GPS is off.  

I've been watching Kreider closely and the guy has picked up his game a notch or two or five now that we are in the playoffs.  Zibanejad has been playing two-way-out-of-his-mind hockey since that terrible loss to the Flyers a few weeks ago.  With Krieder and Zibanejad picking up their game and Roslovic adding another intense dimension this may be the scariest team in the playoffs IF they stay focused for a full 60 minutes.  The depth of this team is pretty incredible right now at every single position including goal.  Imagine having your option 2 goalie being Jonathan Quick.  Wow, just wow.  They aren't even playing some of the depth guys they have in reserve like Jones and Ruhwedl.

As for Rempe, he is the "X" factor in every game whether he rides the bench or plays minutes.  He scares the crap out of opponents.  No one wants to see him on the bench or on the ice.  The penalties and accusations are compliments and the Rangers as a team have capitalized on them.  Zdeno Chara was 6'9" tall and he was accused of being a dirty player at the beginning of his career.  Then he learned how to control his size and he became a dominant presense for the rest of his 24 year career.  I'll take Rempe and the penalties all day long provided he does not get suspended during the playoffs.

Finally, I think Trouba is still hurt.  I won't be surprised if he needs surgery after they win ... (can't say it).

Edited by Steve

1 hour ago, RangersLEETCH said:

Dude that point about Aaron Judge I heard yesterday too after the Rangers game! That is correct… Judge gets too many called strikes cause of his height, it’s bullshit. Rempe is 7 feet tall when he’s on the ice. He hits people from a completely different angle. Also if he gets hit he has a right to defend himself with his arms/elbows which are generally in an opponents head. Rangers need to have Chris Drury call the NHL front office and make a case. Otherwise because to Rempe knocking people out of games. 

Judge wears the black socks now up to his knees so everyone can see where the pitches are.  He still gets bad calls but there is no excuse.  Maybe Rempe needs to wear leather pads instead of that rock hard space-stuff under his uniform 😂

• LMFAO 1

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

Trouba is the Rempe of open ice hits. Half of them are illegal. 

One small difference in my opinion.

Trouba lines people up and mostly goes to the bleeding edge of the rules in the process.

Rempe lines people up but he does not have the experience yet to know where the bleeding edge is and the refs are much more frisky with his hits than with Trouba's.   Rempe accidentally wastes people because he hasn't figured out where he can go to without a penalty getting called yet.

The Rangers and Rempe should be working overtime on lining Rempe's perceptions of what will pass with his hits.

• LINDY! 1

21 minutes ago, Steve said:

Judge wears the black socks now up to his knees so everyone can see where the pitches are.  He still gets bad calls but there is no excuse.  Maybe Rempe needs to wear leather pads instead of that rock hard space-stuff under his uniform 😂

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/40038971/capitals-frustrated-matt-rempe-hit-trevor-van-riemsdyk

bunch of crybabies …. It was a legal hit even Wayne Gretzky said it was a legal hit on TNT… the whole TNT commentators thought it was legal. The NHL will not address this cause they even said there’s nothing wrong with the hit Rempe laid out. Nic Dowd capitals player is bitching about the hit. Tomorrow Rempe needs to be aware someone might take a run at him. Good luck crapitals. If Dowd wants to go at with Rempe, let him watch what happens. I’m thinking since the Capitals are whining about the hit and being down 3-0 they might take a cheap shot at Igor. If that’s the case, what does Lavy do? Get a lead wait until the 3rd period and have Rempe knock another person out. Fuck em! 
LGR!!

• Keeps it 100 1

It's important to remember that Rempe is capable of really hurting somebody on a check.  To a certain extent he has to be responsible for not causing critical injuries on his hits because the NHL will run him out of the league if somebody breaks their neck or back on one of these hits.

The elbow to the head that got him suspended was likely accidental but clearly suspension worthy.

The hip check that caught TVR in the chest could easily have been a major injury.  Rempe can't catch people, make them airborne and throw them against the boards any more than he can elbow them in the head during a check.  the NHL will drive him out of the league if that's what is happening.

The Rangers need to give Rempe rules that lessen the chances that he seriously hurts somebody without taking away his ability to hit hard.

That's going to be a very tough task and it is key to having him stick around long-term.

• TroCheckmark 1

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's important to remember that Rempe is capable of really hurting somebody on a check.  To a certain extent he has to be responsible for not causing critical injuries on his hits because the NHL will run him out of the league if somebody breaks their neck or back on one of these hits.

The elbow to the head that got him suspended was likely accidental but clearly suspension worthy.

The hip check that caught TVR in the chest could easily have been a major injury.  Rempe can't catch people, make them airborne and throw them against the boards any more than he can elbow them in the head during a check.  the NHL will drive him out of the league if that's what is happening.

The Rangers need to give Rempe rules that lessen the chances that he seriously hurts somebody without taking away his ability to hit hard.

That's going to be a very tough task and it is key to having him stick around long-term.

I agree with what you’re saying but the flip side coin to that argument is how does a guy who’s 7 feet tall skating that fast slow down and not check? When Rempe hits it’s a lot of force he can’t change that. Thats like telling a defensive lineman or linebacker going full speed to slow down the 1/2 second before he hits a QB while they are launching themselves at the QB. How is Rempe supposed to not be physical when everyone is goating him into a fight? Rempe has skated away from those idiots…. so far. I think his hits have gotten better ever since the 2nd time he hit the devils player (which was dirty). The first devil player he hit was fine. The devils player was a much shorter who just happened to line up  with Rempes elbow.  Just my opinion. I think Lavy and the coaching staff have a done a good job so far with the kid. Yes he has to pick his moments up hen and where to hit.