• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Playoffs — Who Do You Want/Don't You Want?

I'm looking at the standings as a four team race

New York Rangers 108 pts, 77 GP

Boston Bruins 105 pts, 77 GP

Carolina Hurricanes 103 pts, 77 GP

Florida Panthers 101 pts, 77 GP

The winner of the 4 team race gets WC2 and home ice for as long as they can survive in the playoffs. With the Rangers position in the standings and remaining schedule, it would be a huge disappointment to not get WC2.

Schedule remaining:

New York Rangers

Sun, Apr 7 vs Montreal 6:00 PM

Tue, Apr 9 @ Islanders 6:00 PM

Thu, Apr 11 vs Philadelphia 6:00 PM

Sat, Apr 13 vs Islanders 11:30 AM

Mon, Apr 15 vs Ottawa 6:30 PM

Boston Bruins

Sat, Apr 6 vs Florida 2:30 PM

Tue, Apr 9 vs Carolina 6:00 PM

Sat, Apr 13 @ Pittsburgh 7:00 PM

Mon, Apr 15 @ Washington 6:00 PM

Tue, Apr 16 vs Ottawa 6:00 PM

Carolina Hurricanes

Sun, Apr 7 vs Columbus 4:00 PM

Tue, Apr 9 @ Boston 6:00 PM 

Fri, Apr 12 @ St. Louis 7:00 PM

Sun, Apr 14 @ Chicago 5:00 PM

Tue, Apr 16 @Columbus 6:00 PM

Florida Panthers

Sat, Apr 6 @Boston 2:30 PM

Tue, Apr 9 vs Ottawa 6:00 PM

Thu, Apr 11 vs Columbus 6:00 PM

Sat, Apr 13 vs Buffalo 4:00 PM

Tue, Apr 16 vs Toronto 6:30 PM

Edited by fletch
typo
  • Applause 1

On 4/5/2024 at 9:24 AM, Ozzy said:

I would LOVE to play the Isles!  Boyle ain't kidding!  They're fucking terrible.  They were lucky to handle Columbus last night.

We take them out in 4 straight....and it ain't even close!

Two of our last five against the Islanders.  We can put them out (or close to it) if we win both games, or alternatively they can cost us the Presidents trophy and (more importantly) the number one seed in the east if they win both of those games. A split seems to be the most likely result which might lead to them squeaking in.

Five games left, everything to play for.

Although I don't think the Islanders are a good team, two teams out of this list of five will make it into the playoffs

Islanders

Capitals

Flyers

Red Wings

Penguins

My guess is the Islanders and Pens find a way to make it which means a not so great matchup for the Rangers either way.  Really wish we would’ve beat the Pens the last game.  For some reason we can’t figure a way to contain Crosby. 

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

My guess is the Islanders and Pens find a way to make it which means a not so great matchup for the Rangers either way.  Really wish we would’ve beat the Pens the last game.  For some reason we can’t figure a way to contain Crosby. 

Containing Crosby is an issue for pretty much everyone 

2 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Two of our last five against the Islanders.  We can put them out (or close to it) if we win both games, or alternatively they can cost us the Presidents trophy and (more importantly) the number one seed in the east if they win both of those games. A split seems to be the most likely result which might lead to them squeaking in.

Five games left, everything to play for.

Although I don't think the Islanders are a good team, two teams out of this list of five will make it into the playoffs

Islanders

Capitals

Flyers

Red Wings

Penguins

Hard to believe I'm even saying this, but the Sabres are right there too.

Pens are currently beating Lightning that pushes them ahead of the Flyers for the final spot at the moment.  I rather face the Islanders than the Pens.  Either way it’s not the easy series that you look for when you’re the #1 seed.  

35 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Pens are currently beating Lightning that pushes them ahead of the Flyers for the final spot at the moment.  I rather face the Islanders than the Pens.  Either way it’s not the easy series that you look for when you’re the #1 seed.  

They were huge momentum shift now, tied 4-4.

* Pens gave up 3 in the first 10:45 in the 3rd, Sullivan calls timeout after the third goal.  Pens regain some steam, score ~4 mins later and hold on for dear life after playing 4 on 6 for the last 1:36. Exciting game.

Edited by Scott

25 minutes ago, Scott said:

They were huge momentum shift now, tied 4-4.

* Pens gave up 3 in the first 10:45 in the 3rd, Sullivan calls timeout after the third goal.  Pens regain some steam, score ~4 mins later and hold on for dear life after playing 4 on 6 for the last 1:36. Exciting game.

Lightning could actually pass Toronto

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Lightning could actually pass Toronto

Toronto sealed their own fate for the better part of a decade when they signed Tavares. 

Nothing has changed in that span.

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Toronto sealed their own fate for the better part of a decade when they signed Tavares. 

Nothing has changed in that span.

Similar to the Pens with Karlson except with much more aged talent. 

The only team I’m concerned with is the Tampa Bay Lightning. I don’t know if this matters however, the Lightening have a ton of experience and their goaltender is great just like Igor. Stamkos scares me the most because he seems to be in the right place at the right time. Yeah Kucherov is phenomenal too. With that being said I still think the Rangers are loaded and have the horses to go all the way. I’m very anxious about the playoffs starting. Outside Tampa Bay if the Rangers make it to the Stanley Cup finals I firmly believe they can beat any team in the West, handily. 
LGR! 

6 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Similar to the Pens with Karlson except with much more aged talent. 

That’s an even bigger mistake… and one I understand even less.

Anyone who has watched the Pens over the last 15+ seasons should know that they’ve had their biggest successes when they had deep teams, not being top heavy. 

I guess my point is that if you’ve got a team that already has star power up top, maybe that big chunk of cap space you’re about to use on 1 player is better spent on multiple players. 

Starting with division winner: Rangers should have it in the bag with 5 games left up 5 points (plus tiebreaker). Canes do have 4 easily winnable games left of their 5, while the Rangers have 3 in-division games and then MTL and Ottawa. 

Say Canes get 8 points. Rangers would need 3 or 4. Lets say 2 wins in their last 5. 

Thereafter, I see absolutely no easy first round matchups for anyone in the East.

Even teams like Detroit if they sneak in would be a tough play (as we saw the other night). Then you got potential Division rivals: PIT, PHL or Isles round 1? Ooof. We

saw what happened last playoffs vs. a bitter rival. 

Maybe I’m not giving the Rangers enough credit but I’m worried. 

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

Maybe I’m not giving the Rangers enough credit

You're not. 

And even comparing them to last year's team is a non-starter IMO. 

1 hour ago, Parsley said:

Starting with division winner: Rangers should have it in the bag with 5 games left up 5 points (plus tiebreaker). Canes do have 4 easily winnable games left of their 5, while the Rangers have 3 in-division games and then MTL and Ottawa. 

Say Canes get 8 points. Rangers would need 3 or 4. Lets say 2 wins in their last 5. 

Thereafter, I see absolutely no easy first round matchups for anyone in the East.

Even teams like Detroit if they sneak in would be a tough play (as we saw the other night). Then you got potential Division rivals: PIT, PHL or Isles round 1? Ooof. We

saw what happened last playoffs vs. a bitter rival. 

Maybe I’m not giving the Rangers enough credit but I’m worried. 

The Rangers have done a good job playing up to their opponents this season. If they play the kind of lockdown defense vs PHI, PIT, or NYI that they have shown vs CAR, BOS, and COL, they should have no issues. If they decide that they can fuck around and go all east-west and "do stupid shit at the blue line," they will make a lot of unnecessary trouble for themselves.

Is it just me or did the Flyers quit on Tortorella?

Normally it takes a few seasons before his whole act get old, he wears out his welcome and gets moved along but maybe things are happening on a compressed timeline in Philly.

Ever since benching the captain they have been much much worse.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

You're not. 

And even comparing them to last year's team is a non-starter IMO. 

Must be a mental thing for me personally. 10 or so years ago when this team made the playoffs (at any seed) I was filled with optimism. Not much these days. (Again, this likely goes deeper than just being a sports fan). 

• Cheers 1

In a league where so many teams alternate between hot and cold, none does more so than the Islanders.  Lot to play them if they're cold.  Not so much when they are hot.

8 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

In a league where so many teams alternate between hot and cold, none does more so than the Islanders.  Lot to play them if they're cold.  Not so much when they are hot.

That goes for any team

Im worried that any team we play will shut down the Panarin line and then we’re toast. Only hope is that the refs call 5 penalties a game against the opposition to have any kind of hope. No hope that Zibby’s line or enough secondary scoring from 3rd and 4th line will carry this team. 

In an ideal world, the Rangers finish atop the East. Pittsburgh catches the Islanders for M3.

That would allow a red hot Pittsburgh team to go blow for blow with Carolina in Round 1, Boston/TB and Florida/Toronto (or flip TB/Toronto) to go at it. And allows the Rangers to get one of the Islanders, Flyers, Red Wings or Capitals. I’m not afraid of anyone but I do see paths to us being able to get out of some series quicker than others. And far too many times we’ve seen teams run out of gas as the postseason goes on. I would like the top spot and to play against a significantly weaker team with the easiest path to a fast win.

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

Im worried that any team we play will shut down the Panarin line and then we’re toast. Only hope is that the refs call 5 penalties a game against the opposition to have any kind of hope. No hope that Zibby’s line or enough secondary scoring from 3rd and 4th line will carry this team. 

What do you want bro?

To not have any anxiety going into the playoffs?

Have zero possibility of losing?

I bet that Colorado is worried that someone might shutdown or win a matchup vs MacKinnon in a short series (which happens). Because they need to have their top 3 forwards play 20+ minutes a night to beat people. 

I bet Florida is worried that they might have to play Toronto, cause that’s not a friendly matchup for them.

I bet Boston is worried due to their lack of depth at C. 

I bet Winnipeg is worried cause they don’t have enough high-end talent up front. 

I bet Dallas is worried cause their forwards aren’t the greatest defensively and Oettinger has been meh this year. 

No team is super dominant.

Especially this year.

You go in and play and take your chances.