• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Playoffs — Who Do You Want/Don't You Want?

I’d prefer Detroit in that we haven’t played a playoff series against them in nearly 75 years.

But I’m ok with whoever.

Really the most important thing is that they have a shorter series.

It really makes things easier if you can play a short series early on. 

For sure. This team needs to do what other Ranger teams have failed to do, and that is learn from prior experiences and learn to step on a teams throat and not let them up off the mat. So many times on the Lundqvist-era Rangers would they play an inferior team, and let them up off the mat to the point they either exerted all their energy into knocking them out in 7 or, even in 2017, when they ended up boxing themselves into a corner and actually lose a series against a team they were better than in Ottawa. They need to not repeat history and take advantage here.

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The Red Wings still have no idea who their goaltender is. Give me that team.

Ahh yeah, Morph!!  Leave it to us to find...or in this case "MAKE" the new Patrick Roy!!!  LOL

• TroCheckmark 1

3 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Washington and a bunch of 2-1 and 1-0 games doesn't seem like fun- I have a suspect stomach, I don't need the extra acid. 

Throw the ESPN+ app on your phone or iPad and get a cushion for the porcelain throne, my dude.

The Rangers should be favored to win in 5 or 6 games no matter who their opponent is in the first round, and should advance if they play to their capabilities.  Full-stop.

Whoever gets the final playoff spot in the East earned it by playing great hockey down the stretch.

I assumed that the Rangers would take care of business against Ottawa on Monday and watched the Penguins, Red Wings, and Islanders (yes, I cheated on the Rangers and admitted it). 

The Red Wings have had 13 third period comeback wins and came back and won against Montreal in a game they were down big - they are like watching the Coyotes when Arizona knows they have to put up 5+ goals to win some nights.

Penguins are probably playing their best hockey down the stretch, and certainly don't look like the old, slow team we last faced.

I haven't seen too much of Washington but they seem to have found hot goaltending and defensive structure to limit chances.

So the Rangers won't be able to just show up to the arena and win.

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, fletch said:

The Rangers should be favored to win in 5 or 6 games no matter who their opponent is in the first round, and should advance if they play to their capabilities.  Full-stop.

Whoever gets the final playoff spot in the East earned it by playing great hockey down the stretch.

I assumed that the Rangers would take care of business against Ottawa on Monday and watched the Penguins, Red Wings, and Islanders (yes, I cheated on the Rangers and admitted it). 

The Red Wings have had 13 third period comeback wins and came back and won against Montreal in a game they were down big - they are like watching the Coyotes when Arizona knows they have to put up 5+ goals to win some nights.

Penguins are probably playing their best hockey down the stretch, and certainly don't look like the old, slow team we last faced.

I haven't seen too much of Washington but they seem to have found hot goaltending and defensive structure to limit chances.

So the Rangers won't be able to just show up to the arena and win.

There are no easy games in the league, especially in the playoffs.

But yes, they’ll be a heavy favorite no matter who they play, and they should win that series in 5 games tops. If it goes 6 it doesn’t kill you, but it shouldn’t go 6. 

• TroCheckmark 1

For me the best part about last night's slate of results is that the Islanders and Hurricanes are going to be slugging it out with each other in the first round.  hopefully the Isles can put a dent in the "anointed" team even though I think the Islanders to win that series is a stretch.

I think we can handle any of the remaining four WC2 prospects although I think Washington will be the most favorable for us.  They have been running on fumes for six weeks or more.  I think they will fold right off the bat.  Penguins would be the biggest problem although I see the Penguins and Red Wings as being similarly awkward opponents.  Teams who can score in bunches and who might suddenly discover a team defensive streak the way the Devils did to us last year in mid-series.

I say awkward because this Rangers team likes to play in track meet type games when they shouldn't and if they feel they are better then their opponent.  The coach and the veterans need to reinforce this is is not a viable approach in NHL postseason games.

Hopefully Rempe gets to suit up against whoever we play because he brings a completely different vibe to this team.

• Bullseye 1

My question heading into the playoffs is not so much our goalie, defense, 5 on 5 production or the PP it’s the amount of muscle/enforcer players we have. The NHL playoffs is a war of attrition. Whoever the Rangers face they are certainly going to face opponents who will attempt to wear them down. Opposing teams will try during the playoff series to hit or take cheap shots at IGOR, FOXY, BREADMAN, MIKA etc. It’s going to happen. God knows I’ve seen it before with other hockey teams! We possibly could use extra reinforcement to quell that trouble. Trouba is solid. Cuyelle has proven his worth throwing his body around. Goodrow, Schneider are good too. All of these players are respectable when it comes to physicality. The Rangers will need more. Someone who can not only check, but alters the game by just his mere presence. Someone who can if need be (I personally hope it doesn’t come down to this but its happened many times in the playoffs over the last 50 plus years) settle those moments or keep them at bay if need be. The only player who can do that for the Rangers is Matt Rempe. Yes he’s 21, and inexperienced. The playoffs are a great opportunity for Rempe to showcase his impact.  Some argue its not the playoffs for when a player should gain his NHL experience and skill and that is definitely a valid point However,consider this the Rangers during these playoffs will probably need Rempe’s presence. Teams know when he’s on the bench Lavy has Rempe to quell things down if needed and more importantly to contribute. Rempe can fight anyone. I’m not saying he’s going to win every battle or go looking to goon it up during the playoffs. The Rangers can rely Rempe to be that “presence” out there during the playoffs. Rempe as I have stated before in past posts forces opponents to make adjustments, especially when he sets himself in front of the net. Yes I know he has to work on his skating and when and where to move around without the puck. But you have to admit Rempe stirs the shitstorm. He’s a distraction to our opponents. Now it seems every team wants to fight him! He clearly is impossible to knock down unless your behind him for a cheap shot (which happened last night). Heck he even lightened up on that check in the first period on the Ottawa senator! Imagine if Rempe didn’t let up and went full speed at that guy??? The guy would be in the hospital and a fight would have ensued. Rempe even walked away early on from a potential fight last night. He’s shown discipline and is clearly listening to Lavy. 
Heck first playoff game weather it be the caps, isles, or Pitt I would have Rempe out there in the first minutes with Mika, Breadman, Krieds, Trochek and make a statement with a thunderous check or hit (clean check mind you!) from him. Imagine if he’s on a line like that and it leads to an early first period goal??!! The Garden would erupt! You let the opponents know he’s here and you better fucking get used to him! 
i’ll wrap it up here. I’ve heard that the Rangers may not use Rempe. I think that could be a mistake. We might need him in the long run. If we’re gonna make a run to the cup it will be a pounding. There will be a lot of hitting. Rempe can lessen that by just his presence..…

Let’s go Rangers! 

4 minutes ago, RangersLEETCH said:

My question heading into the playoffs is not so much our goalie, defense, 5 on 5 production or the PP it’s the amount of muscle/enforcer players we have. The NHL playoffs is a war of attrition. Whoever the Rangers face they are certainly going to face opponents who will attempt to wear them down. Opposing teams will try during the playoff series to hit or take cheap shots at IGOR, FOXY, BREADMAN, MIKA etc. It’s going to happen. God knows I’ve seen it before with other hockey teams! We possibly could use extra reinforcement to quell that trouble. Trouba is solid. Cuyelle has proven his worth throwing his body around. Goodrow, Schneider are good too. All of these players are respectable when it comes to physicality. The Rangers will need more. Someone who can not only check, but alters the game by just his mere presence. Someone who can if need be (I personally hope it doesn’t come down to this but its happened many times in the playoffs over the last 50 plus years) settle those moments or keep them at bay if need be. The only player who can do that for the Rangers is Matt Rempe. Yes he’s 21, and inexperienced. The playoffs are a great opportunity for Rempe to showcase his impact.  Some argue its not the playoffs for when a player should gain his NHL experience and skill and that is definitely a valid point However,consider this the Rangers during these playoffs will probably need Rempe’s presence. Teams know when he’s on the bench Lavy has Rempe to quell things down if needed and more importantly to contribute. Rempe can fight anyone. I’m not saying he’s going to win every battle or go looking to goon it up during the playoffs. The Rangers can rely Rempe to be that “presence” out there during the playoffs. Rempe as I have stated before in past posts forces opponents to make adjustments, especially when he sets himself in front of the net. Yes I know he has to work on his skating and when and where to move around without the puck. But you have to admit Rempe stirs the shitstorm. He’s a distraction to our opponents. Now it seems every team wants to fight him! He clearly is impossible to knock down unless your behind him for a cheap shot (which happened last night). Heck he even lightened up on that check in the first period on the Ottawa senator! Imagine if Rempe didn’t let up and went full speed at that guy??? The guy would be in the hospital and a fight would have ensued. Rempe even walked away early on from a potential fight last night. He’s shown discipline and is clearly listening to Lavy. 
Heck first playoff game weather it be the caps, isles, or Pitt I would have Rempe out there in the first minutes with Mika, Breadman, Krieds, Trochek and make a statement with a thunderous check or hit (clean check mind you!) from him. Imagine if he’s on a line like that and it leads to an early first period goal??!! The Garden would erupt! You let the opponents know he’s here and you better fucking get used to him! 
i’ll wrap it up here. I’ve heard that the Rangers may not use Rempe. I think that could be a mistake. We might need him in the long run. If we’re gonna make a run to the cup it will be a pounding. There will be a lot of hitting. Rempe can lessen that by just his presence..…

Let’s go Rangers! 

no worries, we have Shesty.  He's a feisty one

Ranger Simon

• LOL 1

10 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

kid is only 21.  Let him live a little

I assumed that was going to be at some point down the road when Rempe had grown into his full man size and gained some more fight experience but fate seems to be putting them into the same work space sooner then I thought.

We are the more skilled team so it is natural to think the Tom Wilson and the Caps might want to get up to their old tricks in order to change the calculus on the ice.  Cheap shots, late hits and other "get under your skin" tactics.  At that point Matt Rempe and Tom Wilson might become unavoidable if only to protect breadman.

2 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

I assumed that was going to be at some point down the road when Rempe had grown into his full man size and gained some more fight experience but fate seems to be putting them into the same work space sooner then I thought.

We are the more skilled team so it is natural to think the Tom Wilson and the Caps might want to get up to their old tricks in order to change the calculus on the ice.  Cheap shots, late hits and other "get under your skin" tactics.  At that point Matt Rempe and Tom Wilson might become unavoidable if only to protect breadman.

It will be interesting to see how much game time REmpe actually sees.  My guess is if the rangers start losing games and look outmuscled or outmatched. 

34 minutes ago, fletch said:

The benchmark is Ron Hextall for goalies clearing out their crease, Hextall had a real nasty streak.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-goalies-all-time-penalty-minutes-leaders.html

I am not sure that Billy Smith did not have Hextall beat.  He is 2nd on that all time list and refs were far less likely to call penalties on the goalies during his time.

• TroCheckmark 1