• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Playoffs — Who Do You Want/Don't You Want?

I put this post in the clinched thread but maybe it will get a fresh look here.

First of all we are in so no jinxes involved if you believe in that sort of thing.

I don't know about  anyone else but I don't see anyone other than Carolina Hurricanes in the 2nd round and the Florida Panthers in the Eastern conference finals assuming we get that far.

With that said, is there anyone you absolutely DO NOT want to see in the first round?

My own preference even if it means giving up 2nd round and 3rd round home ice would be to finish 2nd in the Metro and take whichever team gets 3rd (probably Philly or Washington)

Team I do not want to see --- Tampa Bay Lightning.

• Phil changed the title to Playoffs — Who Do You Want/Don't You Want?

Sorry to share this but I just got into a verbal argument with a devil fan (bartender) at my local watering hole… known this guy for over 25 years huge devils fan …he comes up to me and says “hey you guys better keep your head up next week!” Watch out.. I said pal we got a guy who’s almost 7 feet tall and 240 pounds on skates, he’s 21!!  he doesn’t have to keep his head up! He overlooks everyone !! He will kick the shit out of any of the devil players….. Devil fan talking shit a week before next weeks game.. got my blood pressure up! 
he bitched how Rempe starts a fight weeks ago now he walks away… ! I said dude why do you devil fans and the like cry about Rempe being a goon and now he’s a wimp cause he doesn’t fight! Which one is it dude?? 
he walked away disgusted waving his hand dismissing me…

I really hope Rempe levels somebody…,

Fucking devil fans suck… I swear they are worse than the islander fans in the 80s …. Arrogant pricks ….their fucking team misses the playoffs for what 7 years and they win one playoff series 

….now they suck and will most likely miss the playoffs… 

I hope Rempe makes Jack Hughes life a miserable hell for the next 10 years! 
LGR!! 

I agree with Phil and Pete. Are there teams I would prefer to avoid in Round 1? Sure. But I wouldn’t fear anyone. The Rangers are a handful and will be hard for anyone to handle for 7 games.

I would like to avoid 2nd in the East and a potential matchup with Tampa in Round 1. I do think we win a series with them this time around. But I would like to see this group get the 1 seed in the East and get the runt of the litter in the WC2 slot. Washington, Detroit, etc.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Yeah RL, except there's s that whole Rempe elbowed a guy in the head knocking him onto IR, getting thrown out and being suspended for 4 games. Throw in ducking MacDermid as well. 

Gonna be happy if MacDermid or some plug they bring up from the AHL  destroys one of our top players by running them or worse yet with a flying dirty elbow causing them to miss time? Going to take soloce if Rempe then fights the guy? Honestly, I think MacDermid would do fine in a fight with Rempe. Even if Rempe smoked him and we lost a player because Rempe had a tab running I don't think it's worth the trade off, not even a little. Rempe being in the lineup isn't going to prevent anything when he already went way below the line and then there's the little wave as he was being shown the gate after smoking Siegenthaler (sp). Possibly a reason why Lavi saw fit for him to sit an extra game??  

We have a lot to risk/lose and the they have nothing. Thankfully they are soft almost from top to bottom but if I'm MacDermid I don't think I could careless if I never saw the end of the game. Rempe is the sole reason they got the guy. 

I like the kid, the clean version, he doesn't need the dirty stuff. Too late when it comes to nj. I think he should answer the bell as early in the game as possible after how it played out in the last one 

The Devils at last look had a 7% chance at making the playoffs, that was last week. The game most likely will be meaningless to them other than trying to settle a score. 

I think they can beat anybody also, but I think Florida is probably the worst matchup for them in the East. I know anything but a deep playoff run is a failure, but the league, the conference, is so wide open anything from any team wouldn't surprise me at this point.

7 hours ago, Scott said:

Yeah RL, except there's s that whole Rempe elbowed a guy in the head knocking him onto IR, getting thrown out and being suspended for 4 games. Throw in ducking MacDermid as well. 

Gonna be happy if MacDermid or some plug they bring up from the AHL  destroys one of our top players by running them or worse yet with a flying dirty elbow causing them to miss time? Going to take soloce if Rempe then fights the guy? Honestly, I think MacDermid would do fine in a fight with Rempe. Even if Rempe smoked him and we lost a player because Rempe had a tab running I don't think it's worth the trade off, not even a little. Rempe being in the lineup isn't going to prevent anything when he already went way below the line and then there's the little wave as he was being shown the gate after smoking Siegenthaler (sp). Possibly a reason why Lavi saw fit for him to sit an extra game??  

We have a lot to risk/lose and the they have nothing. Thankfully they are soft almost from top to bottom but if I'm MacDermid I don't think I could careless if I never saw the end of the game. Rempe is the sole reason they got the guy. 

I like the kid, the clean version, he doesn't need the dirty stuff. Too late when it comes to nj. I think he should answer the bell as early in the game as possible after how it played out in the last one 

The Devils at last look had a 7% chance at making the playoffs, that was last week. The game most likely will be meaningless to them other than trying to settle a score. 

Do you believe Rempe should fight a guy who wasn't even playing in the Eastern conference when the Bastian hit happened (with no supplemental NHL discipline)? I don't see why he should. 

Edited by Pete

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think they can beat anybody also, but I think Florida is probably the worst matchup for them in the East. I know anything but a deep playoff run is a failure, but the league, the conference, is so wide open anything from any team wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Florida is 4-5-1 in their last 10, winning only one game in their last six against Philadelphia, losing the other five to play off teams. 

They're a paper tiger. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Florida can be had.  Nashville ate them up with relentless hitting, and got in their face the minute they touched the puck.  The Flyers will get crushed in 5 games...or less.  That team isn't ready for even the playoffs, no less the Rangers at FULL STRENGTH.  Congrats if they even get in, but they won't even be in long enough to keep the bench warm.

Tell you what boys, I don't fear any of them...one team I do consider dangerous though, and there's no getting around it.  Tampa is the team I watch out for;  They have the goalie that can steal a series, and the fire power up front to blow a hole in your boat.

They're sound on defense, and their PP is still lethal.

Watch the highlights from their game against Boston last night.  They made the B's look very B'eat-a-ble.  Boston couldn't do dick against them, other than a couple of PP's that I thought were soft calls.

Just now, Pete said:

Florida is 4-5-1 in their last 10, winning only one game in their last six against Philadelphia, losing the other five to play off teams. 

They're a paper tiger. 

Definitely can be beaten, I just didn't like how the Rangers looked against them overall this season. Of course, playoffs are a different animal. If the Rangers bring it, they can certainly beat them.

I do agree with Ozzy that Tampa Bay can cause a real problem as well. They still have the talent and that winning pedigree.

• Keeps it 100 1

8 hours ago, RangersLEETCH said:

Sorry to share this but I just got into a verbal argument with a devil fan (bartender) at my local watering hole… known this guy for over 25 years huge devils fan …he comes up to me and says “hey you guys better keep your head up next week!” Watch out.. I said pal we got a guy who’s almost 7 feet tall and 240 pounds on skates, he’s 21!!  he doesn’t have to keep his head up! He overlooks everyone !! He will kick the shit out of any of the devil players….. Devil fan talking shit a week before next weeks game.. got my blood pressure up! 
he bitched how Rempe starts a fight weeks ago now he walks away… ! I said dude why do you devil fans and the like cry about Rempe being a goon and now he’s a wimp cause he doesn’t fight! Which one is it dude?? 
he walked away disgusted waving his hand dismissing me…

I really hope Rempe levels somebody…,

Fucking devil fans suck… I swear they are worse than the islander fans in the 80s …. Arrogant pricks ….their fucking team misses the playoffs for what 7 years and they win one playoff series 

….now they suck and will most likely miss the playoffs… 

I hope Rempe makes Jack Hughes life a miserable hell for the next 10 years! 
LGR!! 

We've got bigger fish to fry than pecker heads like these, Ed.

NJ has to get their shit together.  They had a fucking terrible season, and nobody said it better than Daneyko.  It's all their own doing, and they really let this season slip away by playing bad hockey pretty much the whole season.  They have a hole in net, and their defense has poor mobility.  They also had some injuries that really hurt them.

Again, just a sore loser type fan.  I get his frustration, but those fucking clowns are everywhere, and it ain't just him.

One thing we can all be sure of, if shit goes off the rails in one or two games, the coach isn't going to just sit there twiddling his thumbs and saying "well they know what they have to do, they just need to go and do it. I don't need to tell them what they have to do, they can figure it out." 

Which is what we got last year. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

One thing we can all be sure of, if shit goes off the rails in one or two games, the coach isn't going to just sit there twiddling his thumbs and saying "well they know what they have to do, they just need to go and do it. I don't need to tell them what they have to do, they can figure it out." 

Which is what we got last year. 

Doink!!  You got it man!

This team, as much as nobody wants to accept, should be feared; not only because of the talent we have, the grit we have, and the chip on our shoulder from the last 2 season's failures, but we have the right man steering the ship.

The guy is a winner, and as much as I wanted Quenneville in here, I stand corrected, and I'm a HUGE believer in Lavvy and how he's handled this squad all season.

All my chips are in the middle of the table this year, fellas!  We're taking this fucking shit, and I don't give a rat's ass what these pricks in between periods say....good or bad!

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Doink!!  You got it man!

This team, as much as nobody wants to accept, should be feared; not only because of the talent we have, the grit we have, and the chip on our shoulder from the last 2 season's failures, but we have the right man steering the ship.

The guy is a winner, and as much as I wanted Quenneville in here, I stand corrected, and I'm a HUGE believer in Lavvy and how he's handled this squad all season.

All my chips are in the middle of the table this year, fellas!  We're taking this fucking shit, and I don't give a rat's ass what these pricks in between periods say....good or bad!

Don't be so hard on yourself 😂 

No need to stand corrected, no telling of Quennville would have done as good a job or better. 

What can be said for sure at this point is that running any version of this team back out there with Gallant, Even if you made some changes around the margins, was not going to be successful. 

If you have a shitty painter, you can get them all the brand new brushes you want to, they're still a shitty painter. And GG is shitty. 

• LMFAO 1

I literally don’t care. This team should run the train on the first two rounds or they’re not worthy of the cup. The third round is where it’s different, Florida is a great team so who knows. Then, there are four teams out west who could win. But if we can’t breeze to the conference final this year we don’t deserve anything. This team is loaded and has no excuse at this point 

• Believe 1

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

Do you believe Rempe should fight a guy who wasn't even playing in the Eastern conference when the Bastian hit happened (with no supplemental NHL discipline)? I don't see why he should. 

I don't think where he was playing prior matters. It doesn't erase what happened, especially now after the elbow in the last game.  I thought the wave was a total sign of immaturity.

Again though growing pains? yes, will he learn, sooner the better.  I don't think the org appreciated the wave and they sent a message with the extra game he sat out. I think he brings some things this team was missing obviously. I like the guy. I can also see where he has a diminished role in the playoffs this season. I think he got under 7 mins against the Flyers. I think the hype is bigger than the package though at this time.  

I can see depending on the matchup where he could possibly watch some games from the pressbox. Which for a guy that probably wasn't even on the radar to play at this level this season is fine.

All good if you disagree.

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

I don't think where he was playing prior matters. It doesn't erase what happened, especially now after the elbow in the last game.  I thought the wave was a total sign of immaturity.

Again though growing pains? yes, will he learn, sooner the better.  I don't think the org appreciated the wave and they sent a message with the extra game he sat out. I think he brings some things this team was missing obviously. I like the guy. I can also see where he has a diminished role in the playoffs this season. I think he got under 7 mins against the Flyers. I think the hype is bigger than the package though at this time.  

I can see depending on the matchup where he could possibly watch some games from the pressbox. Which for a guy that probably wasn't even on the radar to play at this level this season is fine.

All good if you disagree.

I agree with almost everything aside from the idea that where McDermid was playing doesn't matter. Rempe shouldn't have to fight someone who wasn't even on the team or even in the conference. That's some mercenary shit. That's not "the code".

Everything else we're on same page. 

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

We've got bigger fish to fry than pecker heads like these, Ed.

NJ has to get their shit together.  They had a fucking terrible season, and nobody said it better than Daneyko.  It's all their own doing, and they really let this season slip away by playing bad hockey pretty much the whole season.  They have a hole in net, and their defense has poor mobility.  They also had some injuries that really hurt them.

Again, just a sore loser type fan.  I get his frustration, but those fucking clowns are everywhere, and it ain't just him.

You’re 100% correct Ozzy!!
! Funny thing is I’ve known this guy for a long time. I’m a laid back type diehard Ranger fan. Talk smack in a funny good way. This guy did apologize afterwards so I have to give him credit HOWEVER, you and I both know these type of devil fans are looking for revenge next week. Shit I’m looking at tonight’s game against the AVS. Anyway thanks for reading my rant. 
I really enjoy this website. We are all diehards here but honest critical Ranger fans who call it straight forward no bullshit! We are the first to admit when a Ranger player needs to be either let go traded or sent down .. anyway look forward to tonight’s game. Will be a very tough matchup …

LGR!! 
Ed 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I agree with Phil and Pete. Are there teams I would prefer to avoid in Round 1? Sure. But I wouldn’t fear anyone. The Rangers are a handful and will be hard for anyone to handle for 7 games.

I would like to avoid 2nd in the East and a potential matchup with Tampa in Round 1. I do think we win a series with them this time around. But I would like to see this group get the 1 seed in the East and get the runt of the litter in the WC2 slot. Washington, Detroit, etc.

Then you don't agree with me, LOL. I don't fear anyone. No. One. There's no one I'd "prefer" to avoid. I'm happy to watch this Rangers team kick the shit out of whatever poor soul sucker of a team draws them in RD1.

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

38 minutes ago, Phil said:

Then you don't agree with me, LOL. I don't fear anyone. No. One. There's no one I'd "prefer" to avoid. I'm happy to watch this Rangers team kick the shit out of whatever poor soul sucker of a team draws them in RD1.

I guess I do and I don’t. I don’t think I fear anyone going in. But the issue I’ve seen in the past is that we tend to always have long series. I would like to see us go into the playoffs and have, for once, a playoff series where it doesn’t go 7 games. It’s not too often that teams can go 7 games 4 times and win. It’s happened, but not too often. So when I say there are teams I would prefer to avoid, it’s not because I fear them ultimately beating us; it’s because I honestly would like to finally see us get a favorable matchup and to finally do what needs to be done with that favorable matchup. And that, to me, is flexing our muscle and getting out of a Round 1 series relatively quickly to not exert our energy early on and to tire out when you reach the later rounds. Just my thoughts.

Edited by RichieNextel305