• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Playoffs — Who Do You Want/Don't You Want?

8 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Im worried that any team we play will shut down the Panarin line and then we’re toast. Only hope is that the refs call 5 penalties a game against the opposition to have any kind of hope. No hope that Zibby’s line or enough secondary scoring from 3rd and 4th line will carry this team. 

This is actually the exact thing I’m not worried about . This team has depth for once. This isn’t the jagr years

• TroCheckmark 1

As of April 7th:

Current Division Ranking: 1

Current Conference Ranking: 1

Current Opponent Would Be: Detroit

Magic Number for Metro: 4 points

Magic Number for 1 Seed: 5 points

Magic Number for Presidents Trophy: 6 Points

Judging the number for 1 seed off of Boston. If Boston wins out, it would take them to 115. If we go 2-2, it takes us to 114. If Boston doesn’t win out and we go 2-2 or better, it’s over. Boston getting to 114 along with us gives us the tiebreaker based off of RW, which they cannot catch us in. And also, Florida would need to win out with the Rangers not gaining another point to catch up and finish ahead of us.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Believe 1

7 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

What do you want bro?

To not have any anxiety going into the playoffs?

Have zero possibility of losing?

I bet that Colorado is worried that someone might shutdown or win a matchup vs MacKinnon in a short series (which happens). Because they need to have their top 3 forwards play 20+ minutes a night to beat people. 

I bet Florida is worried that they might have to play Toronto, cause that’s not a friendly matchup for them.

I bet Boston is worried due to their lack of depth at C. 

I bet Winnipeg is worried cause they don’t have enough high-end talent up front. 

I bet Dallas is worried cause their forwards aren’t the greatest defensively and Oettinger has been meh this year. 

No team is super dominant.

Especially this year.

You go in and play and take your chances.

And you only have to look at the playoffs last year to see what might happen to a dominant team like the Bruins if they run into the wrong opponent

12 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

And you only have to look at the playoffs last year to see what might happen to a dominant team like the Bruins if they run into the wrong opponent

I get that it happened last year. And I get that anything can happen come playoffs. But I think we all, myself included, need to stop with the recency bias and using examples like the Bruins last year or Tampa back in 2019 as viable reasons to have concern.

The playoffs are always a dice roll. Anything can happen. Including our worst case nightmare scenario. It’s hockey. That said, I’m gonna go in expecting the Rangers to beat whoever is in front of them. They’ve earned that from that from us. Aside from a weak January where they hit a roadblock for whatever reason and lost 9 games, they have only lost 16 other games all season.

I’m not one of those “what if” people, but if you take away that month (5-7-2), the Rangers are 48-14-2. You can take away an entire month of hockey where we gained 12 points, and we still would be sitting around the 100 point mark and sitting comfortably in the Top-3 in the Metro. Just crazy.

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Believe 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I get that it happened last year. And I get that anything can happen come playoffs. But I think we all, myself included, need to stop with the recency bias and using examples like the Bruins last year or Tampa back in 2019 as viable reasons to have concern.

The playoffs are always a dice roll. Anything can happen. Including our worst case nightmare scenario. It’s hockey. That said, I’m gonna go in expecting the Rangers to beat whoever is in front of them. They’ve earned that from that from us. Aside from a weak January where they hit a roadblock for whatever reason and lost 9 games, they have only lost 16 other games all season.

I’m not one of those “what if” people, but if you take away that month (5-7-2), the Rangers are 48-14-2. You can take away an entire month of hockey where we gained 12 points, and we still would be sitting around the 100 point mark and sitting comfortably in the Top-3 in the Metro. Just crazy.

The points total speaks for itself but to be honest apart from a game here or there I really do not think we have seen the best of this Rangers squad just yet.  If there is a theme to this year it is that we seem to have a way of banking wins while not really looking good doing it much of the time.

The best is yet to come.

Let's not give the Islanders any kind of assist into the post season this week.  Time to step on their necks and snuff out their aspirations

Edited by Kick save and a beauty

43 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

The points total speaks for itself but to be honest apart from a game here or there I really do not think we have seen the best of this Rangers squad just yet.  If there is a theme to this year it is that we seem to have a way of banking wins while not really looking good doing it much of the time.

The best is yet to come.

Let's not give the Islanders any kind of assist into the post season this week.  Time to step on their necks and snuff out their aspirations

Yep. I think this teams identity is that they’re basically robots. And I mean that in a good way. Not once this year have I felt them really looking by an opponent, or even on this stretch run, taking a night off. Have they had games where they looked a little less than at their best? Or even not close to their best? Sure. Who doesn’t though, right? It’s a good trait to have and good identity to develop. Take it one step at a time. 

Now that we’re closer I’d really like to win the conference and avoid Tampa. There’s a substantial gulf between them and whomever is in the last WC and it really might matter this year given how good everyone is

8 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

8 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Additionally, Boston had almost no adversity last season.

The Rangers have survived rough stretches, loss of power play, spotty goaltending, injuries to to players and depth players, and have come out of it stronger that before their mid season mediocre play.

They're resilient, the can play with anyone, they win without a power play, they win with weak goaltending, they win tight games, loose games, one goal games, blowouts, they rarely lose in bunches, rarely lose the same way twice, and rarely lose to the same team two games in a row. Their record in the second half of back-to-backs is impeccable as well.

This team is a strong as any, with as good or better chances of winning than any. 

• Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 2

Man if Buffalo had just beaten Detroit yesterday they'd be right in the race and I would love to play them. Now they are basically done. 

If we hold on to the 1 seed I think we're a shoe in for the 2nd round at this point. Tampa is a tough matchup but Im still confident we win that series. Still, I'd rather not have to face Kucherov if he goes beast mode. Though if we contain him a bit the rest of their squad is MUCH more than manageable for us. 

I'd rather Pitt miss the playoffs just for the LOL Factor but they're also getting hot and while it doesn't faze me on winning the series, Id rather be able to lock up a 5 game series win against any of the other teams in WC2 contention

6 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Man if Buffalo had just beaten Detroit yesterday they'd be right in the race and I would love to play them. Now they are basically done. 

If we hold on to the 1 seed I think we're a shoe in for the 2nd round at this point. Tampa is a tough matchup but Im still confident we win that series. Still, I'd rather not have to face Kucherov if he goes beast mode. Though if we contain him a bit the rest of their squad is MUCH more than manageable for us. 

I'd rather Pitt miss the playoffs just for the LOL Factor but they're also getting hot and while it doesn't faze me on winning the series, Id rather be able to lock up a 5 game series win against any of the other teams in WC2 contention

Right now, Moneypuck has us at like 84% to make the second round and 14% to win the cup.

I like those odds. 

Now, the other side of this...tonight, we root for Toronna. By tomorrow at 11 p.m., we could be one point from first in the East, and if the Sabres beat the Stars, potentially one point from the President's Trophy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Right now, Moneypuck has us at like 84% to make the second round and 14% to win the cup.

I like those odds. 

Now, the other side of this...tonight, we root for Toronna. By tomorrow at 11 p.m., we could be one point from first in the East, and if the Sabres beat the Stars, potentially one point from the President's Trophy.

also of note, tomorrow Boston plays Carolina. If Boston wins in regulation, we can clinch the division with a win. If Carolina wins in regulation, we can effectively clinch 1st in the east with a win (would just need 1 point from 3 more games). 

definitely just hope that doesn't go to OT lol. But Id rather Carolina win that game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bieser said:

I'd rather not play Tampa. 

It's this. 

Grizzled vet team, more experience than anyone in terms of what it takes to win in the playoffs, and Kucherov on absolute fire. 

I'd still have the Rangers as clear favorites and I don't really fear anyone, but I expect Tampa to make a series out of it against whoever they get.

The other teams we could get I really don't see doing that. 

I want the Capitals. I feel they will be the smallest threat. Would be happy to take on Philly or Pitt too though. Keep Tampa away; most likely to be the first round upset and we certainly don't want to be the Bruins of 2023.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

I want the Capitals. I feel they will be the smallest threat. Would be happy to take on Philly or Pitt too though. Keep Tampa away; most likely to be the first round upset and we certainly don't want to be the Bruins of 2023.

I’ve beaten Pittsburgh up verbally here for months. And rightfully so. The only reason they’re alive right now is because you have 4 crappy teams that are all fighting for 2 spots and no one can grab the bull by the horns for it. One hot streak is all it took to bring them back into the picture. In an ideal world, Toronto beats them tonight and takes some of the wind out of their sails. They have a tough schedule to close things out and it would be nice to see them out of the picture completely.

Caps, Detroit, Islanders, Flyers. The Rangers should, and I think would, make relatively quick work of those 4. I’d prefer to avoid the pageantry that would come with the spectacle of a series with the Islanders. But honestly? Wouldn’t effect too much because I think the Rangers should pound that team too.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’ve beaten Pittsburgh up verbally here for months. And rightfully so. The only reason they’re alive right now is because you have 4 crappy teams that are all fighting for 2 spots and no one can grab the bull by the horns for it. One hot streak is all it took to bring them back into the picture. In an ideal world, Toronto beats them tonight and takes some of the wind out of their sails. They have a tough schedule to close things out and it would be nice to see them out of the picture completely.

Caps, Detroit, Islanders, Flyers. The Rangers should, and I think would, make relatively quick work of those 4. I’d prefer to avoid the pageantry that would come with the spectacle of a series with the Islanders. But honestly? Wouldn’t effect too much because I think the Rangers should pound that team too.

It's why this week is going to be so goddamn important for us. We have three games against potential round 1 opponents who will be fighting for their lives.

Send a message. Bury them.

• Keeps it 100 1

On 4/7/2024 at 3:20 PM, RangersIn7 said:

What do you want bro?

To not have any anxiety going into the playoffs?

Have zero possibility of losing?

I bet that Colorado is worried that someone might shutdown or win a matchup vs MacKinnon in a short series (which happens). Because they need to have their top 3 forwards play 20+ minutes a night to beat people. 

I bet Florida is worried that they might have to play Toronto, cause that’s not a friendly matchup for them.

I bet Boston is worried due to their lack of depth at C. 

I bet Winnipeg is worried cause they don’t have enough high-end talent up front. 

I bet Dallas is worried cause their forwards aren’t the greatest defensively and Oettinger has been meh this year. 

No team is super dominant.

Especially this year.

You go in and play and take your chances.

What do I want?  I want Zibby to be an offensive contributor at ES and not a turnover machine in the offensive zone.  Can you make it happen, please?

4 hours ago, Sod16 said:

We've played Washington nine times in the playoffs since 1986.  Enough already.  Bring on the Wings, who we haven't played since 1950.

Original 6 matchup. Would love if this happened.

• Like 1

On top of the fact that I’m sick to death of Washington (who we will be locked up with should they win tonight), I’d prefer Detroit too. Like others have said, we haven’t played them in forever. So that would be nice. But from a team standpoint, I think they would be easier. They can score, for sure. But their defense and goaltending are both very average, whereas Lindgren kind of scares me a little bit with the Caps. Something about righty catching goalies, plus he played well against us this year. That said, neither of these teams should threaten the Rangers too much. And honestly, like Valiquette said last night, both those teams represent an opportunity for the Rangers to get off to a fast start through Round 1.

I also thought the same thing about the Rangers early opponents last year. lol I know this team looks more dominant and is better coached, etc. Nothing is a given in the postseason, ask the Bruins from last year. I don't think I'll ever feel totally confident in the playoffs. lol

We got the seed we want and should breeze through round one if we’re going to win the cup. We have the easiest match up on paper if any team in the playoffs and this year all of the contenders are really good. That extra week or few days of rest may actually be the difference. 

Could care less who it is, we should brush aside whoever is in that spot and if we don’t it’s going to be a short postseason 

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It's gonna be the Caps....I'd like to see us play somebody different too, but we know how this shit works.

Only reason I can see it being Detroit is that Philly has something to play for here too. They’re mathematically still in this. And the Caps played last night. Sure it’ll be all adrenaline tonight. But Detroit gets Montreal again. They had a close call last night, think they get the win in Montreal tonight. Caps have a tougher game in Philly.