• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Playoffs — Who Do You Want/Don't You Want?

See? I agree. 

I don’t think we would lose a series to Tampa. But I do think it would take a bit more out of them right out of the gate than landing a matchup like the Caps or Red Wings.

To me, that doesn’t scream that I fear an opponent. I don’t right now. I do fear them running out of gas, which I’ve seen happen with not only them but with others. I know it’s dealers choice as far as you get. And honestly, sometimes a matchup you think is favorable ends up being anything but that.

That being said, I would like to finally be able to see a Rangers team go in, land a favorable matchup and make quick work of an opponent as opposed to having to have a dramatic long series right out of the gate. Save that drama for later in the Spring and save the gas tank. That’s all I’m really trying to say.

• Applause 1

I don't fear any other EC team. I don't really care who's on the other side - we're favored no matter what and it's well deserved. Even against those Carolina Candycanes.

The only team that would be, let's say less than ideal in round 1. is Tampa. To me, that's not because we should fear them excessively, but more that they're far more battle-tested and likely to get us into a series.

I don't see Washington, Philly, Detroit. or even Toronto dragging us into a hard-fought series. Tampa has that self-discipline and wildcard in goal that they could drag us to 6 or 7, and I want the rest.

• Bullseye 1

We'll be out in 5 if we get either Leafs or Lightning.

Really, I don't think we get out of 1st round unless we get a real puffball like Detroit or Washington. 

I'm not buying any of this until we see what Panarin and Shesterkin do in R1. History says, probably not much.

Now you know the song by Nelly “Ride Wit Me” and the rhyme that goes with it … the phrase “hey must be the money!” 
Use the same thing but put in “Hey it must be Matt Rempe!”

If ya wanna know why the devils suck 
Can’t move the puck worth a fuck 
It’s all because of him …. 
Hey it must be MATT REMPE!

When Scott Stevens has a tear in his eye 
And Marty Broduers fat ass can’t save bye bye 
It’s all because of him ……
Hey it must be MATT REMPE! 

Devils fans cry, bitch and moan can’t take the hits now their all alone 
It’s all because of him ….. 
Hey it must be MATT REMPE ! 

27 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Really, I don't think we get out of 1st round unless we get a real puffball like Detroit or Washington. 

I'm not buying any of this until we see what Panarin and Shesterkin do in R1. History says, probably not much.

This is my line of thinking, except about Shesterkin. His track record in the playoffs is excellent, minus a couple of games in that Pittsburgh series two years ago that showed to be an aberration.

I'd rather not play Tampa but I'm not exactly afraid of them either. It might be some sweet justice to take some revenge on the way to a cup run.

Philly - We win that one in 5, maybe 6

Washington - I'll say in 5 just as a courtesy but that's a sweep

Detroit - that's a 5 game win

Devils - Want them to miss the playoffs out of spite. Want to face them so we can finish what we should have done last year

Islanders - 8 power play goals scored in a 4 game sweep

200.gif?cid=8354fbe5szm9amy50i87jfs930lc

I plan on continuing to use this gif as much as possible over the next few months 

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything
  • Believe 1

33 minutes ago, Dunny said:

"I don't like the Rangers because of playoff history, I'll go with ... Leafs".

Please turn in your credentials at the door on your way out. 

Edited by Pete

38 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is my line of thinking, except about Shesterkin. His track record in the playoffs is excellent, minus a couple of games in that Pittsburgh series two years ago that showed to be an aberration.

Probably harsh on Shesterkin.

As far as Panarin goes, we have entered the period where everyone has forgotten that he will almost assuredly disappear in a puff of smoke when the going gets tough, and the going will get tough. I don't know how anyone can any faith in this guy. It's going to be a boatload of TO's on backhanded passes from the half wall. Take it to the bank.

Panarin has 46 points in 57 playoff games in his career, not exactly disappearing. Last years playoffs he didn't do much, I'll give you that. but he's playing the best hockey of his career right now and I don't see any reason to think it will go away come playoff time. He's not been producing this much while playing 'soft' either 

• Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, Dunny said:

As far as Panarin goes, we have entered the period where everyone has forgotten that he will almost assuredly disappear in a puff of smoke when the going gets tough, and the going will get tough. I don't know how anyone can any faith in this guy. It's going to be a boatload of TO's on backhanded passes from the half wall. Take it to the bank.

The Matrix GIF

16 minutes ago, Dunny said:

This reminds me of all types of predictions about how diminished a player he would be this season, and then he went out and had an MVP caliber season and set a career high in goals after people complaining he didn't shoot enough. 

So respectfully, anybody who thinks they know the future, doesn't know shit. 

The idea that players are static is mind-boggling to me.

Edited by Pete

26 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I want no part of Tampa. Everyone else, fine.

It's gonna be 7 games anyway, the Rangers never win short series.

Rangers are 2-1 vs Tampa with one meltdown unlikely to be replicated. I'm not worried about them over a seven game series. 

Just now, Pete said:

Rangers are 2-1 vs Tampa with one meltdown unlikely to be replicated. I'm not worried about them over a seven game series. 

that was also, i believe a 4th game in 6 nights and they just ran out of gas. Tampa's Dzone coverage has been mostly suspect this year and I think we win that series still. With that said, they're on a bit of a heater right now and if they keep this up heading into the playoffs they wont be an easy out

You're not gaining anything except 2-1 and holding the opposition to 1 goal in 2 of the games is better than 0-3.

Tampa is beatable. Not sure why everyone thinks the Rangers would worry more about them than any other opponent, which you can say the exact same thing about (regular season is meaningless, which I said verbatim in another thread regarding anaytics).

Edited by Pete

Loving the general optimistic and confidence in this thread 👊

My personal first round preference would be Detroit. In terms of advanced stats, they have some of the poorest metrics amongst the playoff bound teams.

I totally get the cautiousness of facing TBL in the first round. I would feel fully confident against any opponent, but there's always this sense that TBL has this extra gear in the playoffs which might make for a challenging first round. Getting out of the East is going to be hard enough so would be ideal having an easier first round and keep some gas in tank for a likely Florida matchup.