• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Matt Rempe Suspended 4 Games for Elbow to Head on Jonas Siegenthaler

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I learned my lesson, we don't want people questioning and asking for verification if water is wet just because they don't like the person stating that water is indeed wet. "Can we confirm this?"

troll GIF

Let’s not pretend like anything trouba has done and this are equal. Trouba absolutely hits guys when they’re vulnerable and I am so here for it.

Rempe uses his immense size and trucks people while they’re looking at him, and this time he elbowed a guy in the face in a reckless manner. I am absolutely here for that too.

But these are different. I don’t want Rempe doing what Trouba does. I want Rempe doing what Rempe does, ideally while not getting five minute majors for elbowing but I will take that.

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

that’s what I said to use as a defense and at first glance its a good alibi but watch the replay enough and he’s totally sticking it out to make contact 

Rempe is just high on adrenaline. He's trying too hard to make that physical impact.  Can't run wild and I think this staff as well as his teammates will reign him in. 

If that goal counts,  I don't think he does something stupid like he did. He's looking for headlines and to build his name. I don't blame him for this either. It's been a wild ride nobody could imagine happening. He's on a roll. Just has to realize he doesn't have to be the center of attention. I'm sure it's hard to think like that when the crowd is chanting his name and standing up in excitement when he takes a shift. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

No word on him appealing it? 4 seems 1 too many. 

I mean, I guess he could if he really wants to, but seems like a hopeless effort to maybe scrape one game off, max.

Just take your medicine and come back ready to go.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, I guess he could if he really wants to, but seems like a hopeless effort to maybe scrape one game off, max.

Just take your medicine and come back ready to go.

1 game means back for the Isles game no? I'd certainly like that for sure. 

13 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Have we seen Bettman overturn a suspension before?

He has. Spezza comes to mind. Car I'll too when he was with us but that's going back a ways. It's not likely but I'm not sure what there is to lose.

When you mess up, fess up, and dress up.

There is no way a player with 10 games in the league should be appealing a suspension on the heels of 2 misconducts. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

18 minutes ago, Keirik said:

1 game means back for the Isles game no? I'd certainly like that for sure. 

Yes. I doubt Bettman reduces it, but I suppose he could try. Problem is, Gallagher also got his first suspension this year for a similar hit to the head and got 5, I think.

• Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

There is no way a player with 10 games in the league should be appealing a suspension on the heels of 2 misconducts. 

First off, Jeff-approved.

Second, agreed. Optics would be brutal. Just take the medicine.

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

Why not? Is there something in the rules that say seniority is a requirement to appeal your first career suspension? 

Just now, Keirik said:

Why not? Is there something in the rules that say seniority is a requirement to appeal your first career suspension? 

No but there's something in common sense that says he shouldn't do it. 

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

No but there's something in common sense that says he shouldn't do it. 

This isn't about sense or not. Players in sports routinely appeal suspensions. Hell, Tom Wilson of all people appealed a suspension after already being suspended multiple times and won the second appeal. It happens. They won't hold it against him going forward. 

Edited by Keirik
*he won independent arbiter appeal after Bettman upheld it

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

This isn't about sense or not. Players in sports routinely appeal suspensions. Hell, Tom Wilson of all people appealed a suspension after already being suspended multiple times and won the second appeal. It happens. They won't hold it against him going forward. 

Like most things, this isn't about player X doing something to it's OK if player Y does it.

Rempe has now been kicked out of 20% of his games, has about as many PIMs as minutes played, and has already had a run in with player safety. This isn't counting a borderline hit on Lybushkin. 

And.... He fucked up. The hit was dirty. 

He needs to take his medicine. He's been in the league for 10 games. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Pretty sure we're he not a Ranger, no one here would be suggesting he appeal, or defending him at all. Gotta be objective. 

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

29 minutes ago, siddious said:

1 down. 3 to go. We can do this guys.

Thinking about last night’s game, I definitely missed seeing him in the lineup. Brodz, as much as I appreciate what he’s done this year, didn’t do all that much. I’m not sure if Rempe is a factor in a game against Carolina either though. I think they’re too fast for him and create just enough interference that he wouldn’t be able to steamroll in on the forecheck like he’s been doing. 

27 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Thinking about last night’s game, I definitely missed seeing him in the lineup. Brodz, as much as I appreciate what he’s done this year, didn’t do all that much. I’m not sure if Rempe is a factor in a game against Carolina either though. I think they’re too fast for him and create just enough interference that he wouldn’t be able to steamroll in on the forecheck like he’s been doing. 

19 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

#FreeRempe

I was hugging my Rempe man pillow the whole time. So I made it through.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Like most things, this isn't about player X doing something to it's OK if player Y does it.

Rempe has now been kicked out of 20% of his games, has about as many PIMs as minutes played, and has already had a run in with player safety. This isn't counting a borderline hit on Lybushkin. 

And.... He fucked up. The hit was dirty. 

He needs to take his medicine. He's been in the league for 10 games. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Pretty sure we're he not a Ranger, no one here would be suggesting he appeal, or defending him at all. Gotta be objective. 

But this isn't about being objective or subjective. The "if he were not a ranger" talk really donesnt have a thing to do with it. No one is saying he shouldn't he suspended. I thought 3 so I just said 4 seems 1 game too much and I'd appeal to see if a game gets shaved off. That's all. All of this "do the deed take your feed and medicine" talk really is just muddying the water to skew the conversation. It l was discussed all day ad nauseum yesterday with a wide range of suspension guesses. There's nothing wrong with suggesting 4 games is a bit much for him. Great, you think 4 is bang on. I don't.  Myself and many thought 2-3 seemed about right.