• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Matt Rempe Suspended 4 Games for Elbow to Head on Jonas Siegenthaler

It was an elbow to the head.  I think 5 games is a real possibility.

We think of this as disciplinary action but the NHL, like all other sports right now, is trying to make sure nobody gets killed on the field of play.

27 minutes ago, phillyb said:

If last night reinforces anything it’s that there’s no such thing as deterrance in today’s NHL. MacDermid was on the ice at the time of Rempe’s hit on Siegenthaller. 

Correct, but "deterrence" isn't actually a thing. It hasn't been for decades (if it ever existed at all). Very few people earnestly argue for this. The purpose for these players is to exact revenge, not prevent violence from happening in the first place. Why do you think MacDermid is so Big Mad today? He wasn't able to.

• Keeps it 100 1

So Rempe thought he was a professional wrestler and flared the elbow for an elbow smash and probably get 2-3 games.  I sat 2, but we will see.  He isn't the first guy or the last guy to do it.  Unfortunately with his size he seems to be hitting a lot of guys in the head when he checks.  He'll learn to keep the elbow in.   

38 minutes ago, Phil said:

Green is who I was talking about. That wasn't clear, so that's on me.

And that's exactly the right response, too. Media should have literally followed up with "OK, so why did the Devils trade for MacDermid, then?"

Exactly.

If this was a stand alone hit and he'd had a pretty clean record maybe no suspension.  But they're going to have to look at the past 3 weeks (his career!), the penalties, the questionable hits and the fights.  

I say a 3 game suspension. 

I dunno, I kinda dig the "heel" persona from last night.  We all love Rempe, and the NHL can hate him if they want to.  ...kinda reminds me of when HBK put Marty Janetty through the window of the Barber Shop!

"Is there a problem???   "I don't think so?"  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • LOL 1

Adjustments will likely lead to reduced effectiveness. Both are inevitable with this type of player. I'm just going to enjoy the ride, as I dint think it's going to be a long one.

Personally, he doesn't play in R1 unless you need to shift momentum. I just keep him in my back pocket until you think you need to shift a series, then he's in the lineup and told to play exactly how he has been. Full bore. Hold nothing back.

If you want a neutered version of Rempe, just play Edstrom.

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Adjustments will likely lead to reduced effectiveness. Both are inevitable with this type of player. I'm just going to enjoy the ride, as I dint think it's going to be a long one.

Personally, he doesn't play in R1 unless you need to shift momentum. I just keep him in my back pocket until you think you need to shift a series, then he's in the lineup and told to play exactly how he has been. Full bore. Hold nothing back.

100%. Save him for the spots when a change in tide is needed in the playoffs. The shine and shimmer wears off if he doesn't come out at some point. Save the fight for the big games. I'd absolutely pull him and insert Edstrom back towards the end of season so when Rempe comes back, it's an awakening.

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Agree, except if he’s effective at hockey (screening the goalie, being tough to move in the dirty areas) there’s no way he sits R1. Even setting the edgy physical play aside, he’s still been more effective than Edstrom and Brodzinski, and I have not minded either of those players.

Guy needs reps.  He needs to play.  He needs to learn.  I don't think you can sit a kid like this and just whip him out whenever you want to, and then he's going to automatically be effective.

He's a part of this team now, and he needs to be in games.  If they were going to send him down, I think they would've done it at the deadline.  He's here to stay, and he's going to be a big part of what goes down going forward.

I wouldn't worry about this suspension...I've seen Scott Stevens do worse and NOT get suspended.  Irony right???

Any conversation about RD1 is determined by the opponent. If playoffs started tomorrow, it would be the Lightning. I'm pretty sure having Rempe in the lineup to pound on their defense in the corners is highly valuable to killing their ability to move up the ice quickly.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Any conversation about RD1 is determined by the opponent. If playoffs started tomorrow, it would be the Lightning. I'm pretty sure having Rempe in the lineup to pound on their defense in the corners is highly valuable to killing their ability to move up the ice quickly.

Talk about a nightmare round 1 matchup btw. I don’t care what TB’s record is

He is effective at screening the goalie.  He is highly effective with legal hits and he has shown the ability to steal a puck here or there with his long stick.  None of these things are impacted if he reduces the "dirty" part of his game. 

I agree with the idea that he needs minutes on the ice.  Not only to improve his skills but also to increase the wear and tear on opponents which is a cumulative thing.  All of this is possible if he is not taking game misconducts or suspensions.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

His two best features are his ability to create screens in front and his ability to wear down opposing skaters through physically punishing hits — especially defenders looking to transition from defense to offense by digging pucks out of corners and transitioning up the ice quickly.

We saw first-hand how much defenders might/will slow down to avoid his punishment in the Blues game. Of all people, Colton Parayko literally slowed up on multiple occasions to spare himself the pain. That can be a major benefit in the playoffs, especially in creating turnovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualObserver said:

If this was a stand alone hit and he'd had a pretty clean record maybe no suspension.  But they're going to have to look at the past 3 weeks (his career!), the penalties, the questionable hits and the fights.  

I say a 3 game suspension. 

Just wanted to take a moment and welcome you to the site and happy posting. Awesome place to talk Rangers hockey. LgR! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

His two best features are his ability to create screens in front and his ability to wear down opposing skaters through physically punishing hits — especially defenders looking to transition from defense to offense by digging pucks out of corners and transitioning up the ice quickly.

We saw first-hand how much defenders might/will slow down to avoid his punishment in the Blues game. Of all people, Colton Parayko literally slowed up on multiple occasions to spare himself the pain. That can be a major benefit in the playoffs, especially in creating turnovers.

That's a good observation. Parayko is huge by hockey player standards and if he's slowing up and paying mind, you're doing something right.

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

The boss has this on the money;

You can't de-ball the beast.  He's made this team and is being coached fabulously.  He's made more strides in 4 weeks than any other player I can remember,  He will be an absolute weapon of mass destruction when used properly.  He might even be the reason we take a team out by simply just his presense.  On top of it, he can play useful minutes and give us effort that's off the charts.

This kid stays and this kid plays....A LOT!

21 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Just wanted to take a moment and welcome you to the site and happy posting. Awesome place to talk Rangers hockey. LgR! 

You do realize this is why we miss you at meet ups!  😃

You're the man!

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The boss has this on the money;

You can't de-ball the beast.  He's made this team and is being coached fabulously.  He's made more strides in 4 weeks than any other player I can remember,  He will be an absolute weapon of mass destruction when used properly.  He might even be the reason we take a team out by simply just his presense.  On top of it, he can play useful minutes and give us effort that's off the charts.

This kid stays and this kid plays....A LOT!

You do realize this is why we miss you at meet ups!  😃

You're the man!

The other part of all of this and one that is so obvious that almost nobody even mentions it anymore is that in his limited time on ice we are a plus hockey team.  In other words he HAS NOT been a liability out there.  None of the rest of it works if he were giving away pucks and causing high danger scoring chances against.

Truly remarkable

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

The other part of all of this and one that is so obvious that almost nobody even mentions it anymore is that in his limited time on ice we are a plus hockey team.  In other words he HAS NOT been a liability out there.  None of the rest of it works if he were giving away pucks and causing high danger scoring chances against.

Truly remarkable

Exact-o-mundo

sexy happy days GIF

It's kinda funny how everyone has seemingly forgotten about Tortorella after this one!!!

Yea, I don't agree at all that an adjustment will reduce his effectiveness.

Make that same hit you made last night, just keep your elbow down. No one is saying not to make the hit on Bastian, even though the result was the same, the circumstance is different.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1