• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Matt Rempe Suspended 4 Games for Elbow to Head on Jonas Siegenthaler

18 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Correct. Rempe isn't Wilson. Wilson has and has had a far worse reputation for years yet his interactions with DOPS still get reduced, a blind eye with no suspensions at all despite them looking at incidents, arbitrarily odd, and no rhyme or reason to them.  I don't believe Rempe gets a giant target on his back and hammered at every hearing going forward considering a long time goon doesn't even after years of the same behavior. Literally he got a fine for the Panarin incident despite YEARS of behavior in question. 

Wilson wasn't suspended 10 games into his career. Wilson also appealed a 20-game suspension, not a four game suspension. There's no comparison. 

I get your opinion. I disagree. I'm not sure why we have to keep going back and forth on it. 

So don't. It's not written down anywhere that you have to answer every time someone replies to your post. 

Nope it's not. Nor is it a requirement to quote me when I'm quoting someone not named you. 

As I said, I get your opinion. I disagree with it and you disagree with me. We've been through this.  What else would u like to discuss?

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Wilson wasn't suspended 10 games into his career. Wilson also appealed a 20-game suspension, not a four game suspension. There's no comparison. 

So don't. It's not written down anywhere that you have to answer every time someone replies to your post. 

City Life Art GIF by Sherchle

• LMFAO 1

Just now, Keirik said:

Nope it's not. Nor is it a requirement to quote me when I'm quoting someone not named you. 

As I said, I get your opinion. I disagree with it and you disagree with me. We've been through this.  What else would u like to discuss?

Is it a requirement? No. But when anyone here posts it's an open forum to reply is it not? I didn't realize there were rules around what posts can be responded to. 

You're trying to make a comparison that doesn't hold weight and I'm pointing that out. 

I think I've proven my point pretty effectively, so there's nothing else to discuss.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Is it a requirement? No. But when anyone here posts it's an open forum to reply is it not? I didn't realize there were rules around what posts can be responded to. 

You're trying to make a comparison that doesn't hold weight and I'm pointing that out. 

I think I've proven my point pretty effectively, so there's nothing else to discuss.

Nope. You're giving your opinion and I am mine. Wilson had DOPS hearings going back to when he was 20 years old, yet his reputation and multiple suspensions still didn't get him suspended when he ragdolled Panarin and slammed his head to the ice. That's fine if you don't agree, but I don't think Rempe is going to get a target on his back for appealing a hockey play. 

All the rest of this is fluff, conjecture, and nonsense from both of us. There are no facts here. Just two opinionated stubborn people not agreeing. It happens. 

19 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Nope. You're giving your opinion and I am mine. Wilson had DOPS hearings going back to when he was 20 years old

His first suspension was in 2017, he was 23 years old and had multiple seasons under his belt. Not 10 games.

yet his reputation and multiple suspensions still didn't get him suspended when he ragdolled Panarin and slammed his head to the ice.

This has nothing to do with the conversation. We're discussing why a player with 10 career NHL games who got tossed from 2 of them shouldn't appeal a suspension. You're bringing Wilson up as a comparable, yet he didn't get his first suspension until he was in the league for a few years, not a few games, and the first time he appealed he was a 5 year pro and he appealed because the suspension was significant. Trying to appeal a 4 game down to 3 is, IMO, a fool's errand for a player in Rempe's position.

That's fine if you don't agree, but I don't think Rempe is going to get a target on his back for appealing a hockey play. 

Whether he gets a target is one thing, but it certainly doesn't make him look contrite, which is what he should be doing at this stage of his career, before he makes it worse than it already is. I think the NHL has already sent a message with a harsh suspension. I don't see how the situation gets better through an appeal. Firstly, it's not likely to go anywhere anyway, and secondly it's just a bad look for a young kid, IMO.

All the rest of this is fluff, conjecture, and nonsense from both of us. There are no facts here. Just two opinionated stubborn people not agreeing. It happens. 

There are facts. I outlined them. The rest, yes we both have our opinions. I've simply been rebutting the comparisons presented that don't apply. There's a reason the entire NHL is talking about this...his entry to the league is unprecedented. No one can remember a player coming in this hot. That's why it's news. There are no comparables.

You're right, we don't need to agree, and we likely won't, but if I was sitting here comparing an apple to a bowling ball (in your opinion), you'd point that out. That's all I'm doing 🍻

Edited by Pete

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

His first suspension was in 2017, he was 23 years old and had multiple seasons under his belt. Not 10 games.

This has nothing to do with the conversation. We're discussing why a player with 10 career NHL games who got tossed from 2 of them shouldn't appeal a suspension. You're bringing Wilson up as a comparable, yet he didn't get his first suspension until he was in the league for a few years, not a few games, and the first time he appealed he was a 5 year pro and he appealed because the suspension was significant. Trying to appeal a 4 game down to 3 is, IMO, a fool's errand for a player in Rempe's position.

Whether he gets a target is one thing, but it certainly doesn't make him look contrite, which is what he should be doing at this stage of his career, before he makes it worse than it already is. I think the NHL has already sent a message with a harsh suspension. I don't see how the situation gets better through an appeal. Firstly, it's not likely to go anywhere anyway, and secondly it's just a bad look for a young kid, IMO.

There are facts. I outlined them. The rest, yes we both have our opinions. I've simply been rebutting the comparisons presented that don't apply. There's a reason the entire NHL is talking about this...his entry to the league is unprecedented. No one can remember a player coming in this hot. That's why it's news. There are no comparables.

You're right, we don't need to agree, and we likely won't, but if I was sitting here comparing an apple to a bowling ball (in your opinion), you'd point that out. That's all I'm doing 🍻

You did a greet job outlining your opinion. Cheers for that. I'm aware of how you feel. 

• LINDY! 1

Wysh:

8:00 mark - This had very much the feel of a Brendan Shanahan Player Safety "This guy needs to chill out a little bit" suspension. Give him 4, when maybe 2 would suffice because maybe we need to get his attention...I can count and 4 takes him through the Islanders on Sunday at MSG on St Patrick's day where it's going to be a raucaus house...And he's got a little history with Matt Martin.

Edited by Pete

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

I'm sure they take history into account but they already deemed his play against Bastian as not even fine worthy, so they aren't tacking on a suspension based on that play in the past. 

This. The league deemed the Bastian hit as not breaking the rules. No fine. No suspension. Zero discipline handed out upon a review.  Many thought it shouldn't have even been a penalty.  

Not sure how an obvious bad call by the ref should be on his record.  Just because Travis Green thought he intentionally hurt Bastian  (league and media disagree) doesn't make it so. 

I see no harm in appealing the decision. But, they'd have already done it if they thought they should. 

Definitely eat it and learn to play hard within the rules.  He'll figure it out. He's got a solid coaching staff to guide him.

Peca was hard nosed forward, who would blow players up with some big hits . Let him deal with this learning curve of the rookie. 

10 hours ago, Pete said:

That's critical context that I feel like fans don't seem to account for with these suspensions. Injuries matter (to this process). A head hit where the victim isn't injured and/or doesn't lose games isn't treated the same as one where he is/does.

Example: Gallagher got five games for his head shot earlier this year on Adam Pelech despite never having been suspended before because Pelech got injured as a result. Maybe it would have only been two or three games if not, but that's not what happened, so he paid the piper. Rempe is, too.