• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Matt Rempe Suspended 4 Games for Elbow to Head on Jonas Siegenthaler

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

It's not just that.  When Rempe is moving around the ice his elbows are at face level for a lot of players.  He's going to get some incidental contact with his playstyle and he needs to learn how to keep his elbows below the danger line.  Can't tuck while you skate.  Going to have to find another solution that works.

That's not what happened. He saw that he mistimed the hit and he took his elbow out to get a piece of the player. Learn better angles and routes. It's not the AHL. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

Just now, Scott said:

The difference imo is in our day which goes a long long way back was a time when anything goes, no Oz?  I would never argue that DPS is consistent but that can be argued every day. But Rempe has a track record that Pete pointed out (ejections etc.) and I think this timeout could (will hopefully)help him.  He can truck guys without it, not seeing him get ejected would be great. I don't know what the up to the minute stats are but he was running more PIMS than time TOI a couple games ago.

cheers  

The NHL doesn't want the Goon Meta back again.  If Rempe is successful, and it looks like he is at least minimally skilled to play in the NHL, it will cause everybody else in the division to bring in a play action Goon to maintain competitive balance on the ice.

Rempe is going to have to learn how to be big and physical and bruising without making the odd dirty hit here and there because he is likely to take penalties on those marginal hits.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's not just that.  When Rempe is moving around the ice his elbows are at face level for a lot of players.  He's going to get some incidental contact with his playstyle and he needs to learn how to keep his elbows below the danger line.  Can't tuck while you skate.  Going to have to find another solution that works.

You don’t get 4 games for incidental contact

5 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

You don’t get 4 games for incidental contact

No, but you can easily get 2 or 5 minutes if the incidental contact was your elbow and their face and you have the rep Rempe is developing.

There are snowball effects in play after awhile.

Rempe Washington Post Article

The NHL’s department of player safety announced the ban after a disciplinary hearing Tuesday, handing the well-known rookie his first suspension 10 games into his career.

Rempe, 21, had taken the league by storm by fighting 11 times since being called up from the minors. He delivered a couple of borderline hits, and that rough play combined with fisticuffs gave him 54 penalty minutes — just below his total ice time of 56:28.

He clearly hasn't had 11 fights. But I think the PIMS to TOI seems about right. He'll not add any TOI (or PIMS) for the next 4. I think that hurts, short term, hopefully helps long term.

• Believe 1

8 minutes ago, Scott said:

The difference imo is in our day which goes a long long way back was a time when anything goes, no Oz?  I would never argue that DPS is consistent but that can be argued every day. But Rempe has a track record that Pete pointed out (ejections etc.) and I think this timeout could (will hopefully)help him.  He can truck guys without it, not seeing him get ejected would be great. I don't know what the up to the minute stats are but he was running more PIMS than time TOI a couple games ago.

cheers  

Pretty much, Scott! 

It was probably one of the most toughest games on Earth back then.  I tried to catch a video of a couple of incidents for anyone who hadn't seen these  But here's some fun:

Here's Tie:

Here's Keczmer:

If you fucked with Yzerman back in the day, it was a Death sentence...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

spacer.png

See earlier posts. Weapons will be weapons. They aren't perfect and we can't expect perfection, otherwise you're just neutering all of these players to completely eliminate this level of physicality from the game.

Most of Trouba's hits are clean and mean. The same should hold true of Rempe with some guardrails and guidance.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Br4d said:

No, but you can easily get 2 or 5 minutes if the incidental contact was your elbow and their face and you have the rep Rempe is developing.

There are snowball effects in play after awhile.

If you have a player regularly picking up 2 or 5 minute penalties because of his "naturally high elbows" then that player can't be in your lineup until he learns how to not incidentally elbow people in the face. 

• Keeps it 100 1

"Get that lumber in his teeth....Let him know you're there!"

I'm having fun with this today!!  I'm not worried about this kid.  He knows what he did, and he'll be even better for it!  Short term pain/long term gain!

He should hit the gym for a week straight, right after the rink...come back  to pot a few points and punch the crap outta some asshat!

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

• Phil changed the title to Matt Rempe Suspended 4 Games for Elbow to Head on Jonas Siegenthaler
13 minutes ago, Phil said:

See earlier posts. Weapons will be weapons. They aren't perfect and we can't expect perfection, otherwise you're just neutering all of these players to completely eliminate this level of physicality from the game.

Most of Trouba's hits are clean and mean. The same should hold true of Rempe with some guardrails and guidance.

Trouba hunts heads. If you want to get a player to stop doing that, you don't send them there. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Trouba hunts heads. If you want to get a player to stop doing that, you don't send them there. 

Send him wherever you like, then. All I'm saying is give him some guardrails and guidance and tell him to keep doing what he's doing. Hitting to hurt isn't just not illegal, it's beneficial to the success of this team. It opens ice. It can create advantageous scenarios for the Rangers to capitalize.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

No he doesn’t. He hunts big hits. Sometimes that means head contact, usually inadvertent and unavoidable, short of making a hit in the first place. Like the one you screenshotted.

• Bullseye 1
  • CK20! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

No he doesn’t. He hunts big hits. Sometimes that means head contact, usually inadvertent and unavoidable, short of making a hit in the first place. Like the one you screenshotted.

Agreed. He hits to hurt/punish. Just like Rempe. There's tremendous value in having that on your roster. The entire 2022 playoffs were a testament to this.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think he has headhunted. But maybe not all the time. I'll buy that. He also happens to go after players who are vulnerable. Rempe can't. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think he has headhunted. But maybe not all the time. I'll buy that. He also happens to go after players who are vulnerable. Rempe can't. 

He definitely can, he just might really hurt guys in the process (which would lead to more suspensions). That's what I meant about guardrails and guidance. He kinda has to be taught how to hit to hurt at his size. Even small things like angle can make a world of difference. At his size (and especially weight), I'd be telling him don't lean as heavily into the hit, but once you make contact, hit through it. In other words, don't lean in and make yourself a missile, but hit them more like a semi truck. Flat and hard, not angled, so there's never a "point" to his hits (shoulder, elbow).

Honestly, watching Chara maybe? Chara was kind of the master of dishing out punishing contact but not really kililng guys, and he and Rempe's frames are similar.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

He definitely can, he just might really hurt guys in the process (which would lead to more suspensions). That's what I meant about guardrails and guidance. He kinda has to be taught how to hit to hurt at his size. Even small things like angle can make a world of difference. At his size (and especially weight), I'd be telling him don't lean as heavily into the hit, but once you make contact, hit through it. In other words, don't lean in and make yourself a missile, but hit them more like a semi truck. Flat and hard, not angled, so there's never a "point" to his hits (shoulder, elbow).

Honestly, watching Chara maybe? Chara was kind of the master of dishing out punishing contact but not really kililng guys, and he and Rempe's frames are similar.

No. Simply cannot go after guys who are vulnerable. Agree with Chara, post breaking MaxPacs back. 

This guy is 6-8 240... Any hippie delivers will hurt.

He's not Edstrom... That guy played like he was six feet tall. 

Edited by Pete

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Adjustments will likely lead to reduced effectiveness. Both are inevitable with this type of player. I'm just going to enjoy the ride, as I dint think it's going to be a long one.

Personally, he doesn't play in R1 unless you need to shift momentum. I just keep him in my back pocket until you think you need to shift a series, then he's in the lineup and told to play exactly how he has been. Full bore. Hold nothing back.

If you want a neutered version of Rempe, just play Edstrom.

That depends on how the new acquisitions work out and what team the Rangers face. If they play Florida at any point,  I'm putting Rempe in. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

No. Simply cannot go after guys who are vulnerable. Agree with Chara, post breaking MaxPacs back. 

I mean, that's a case-by-case basis. I'm not telling a physically imposing player "you're too big to hit anyone who isn't basically staring you in the face."

But there are certain instances where anyone should be pulling up, like the Siegenthaler hit. It's why we have boarding rules, for example. I don't see the value in trying to create some unicorn standard for him, though. Sometimes he's going to end up on the wrong side of right, and that's OK. It happens to everyone who plays like this. Just give him some guidance and with time, he should develop better instincts that will reduce how often it happens.

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

FFS he's gonna be missing some big games this week (Carolina, TB, PIT, NYI)

Isles is the one you really wish you had him in.

• Keeps it 100 2