• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#55) Rangers @ New York Islanders — the One With the Big Ass Jersey Numbers

Phil

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

Certainly agree on the low effort just thought the white compared to the dark piles and devils were night and day better.

Definitely. I thought the Rangers and Flyers were the best ones. I saw comments on here calling the Islanders Russian gulag uniforms. LOL! I was thinking trick or treat bags, but that works too.

1 minute ago, Parsley said:

Definitely shocked by the comeback. Don’t know what else today say…

Me too. I had then penciled in for a loss in this one as I said earlier, but they found a way. This outdoor game going into the anals of history with that late comeback.

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

That is awesome. Shows how Laviolette has confidence in his own work to bring these legends into the locker-room. I'd think a less confident coach would not want to bring such icons into the room. Fear of being overshadowed is something Laviolette doesn't have.  

Didn't know he worked with Keenan in Boston.. I totally forgot about Keenans stop in Boston in 01.

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That is awesome. Shows how Laviolette has confidence in his own work to bring these legends into the locker-room. I'd think a less confident coach would not want to bring such icons into the room. Fear of being overshadowed is something Laviolette doesn't have.  

Didn't know he worked with Keenan in Boston.. I totally forgot about Keenans stop in Boston in 01.

I forgot about that too. Great and gutsy move by Laviolette to do that. How does something like that not fire you up?

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Easy enough to forget so don’t be hard on yourself!

Theres really not much to remember there.

If I do remember though, Dude, I think that was one of the first real fractures with Joe Thornton in Boston.

Though it’s so long ago, I can’t be certain. 

8 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Easy enough to forget so don’t be hard on yourself!

Theres really not much to remember there.

If I do remember though, Dude, I think that was one of the first real fractures with Joe Thornton in Boston.

Though it’s so long ago, I can’t be certain. 

I believe you're right. Keenan has had issues with so many players, ots hard to keep track. 

I thought the Rangers were going to lose this one because of a poor effort throughout most of the game.  But they pulled themselves together well enough to beat the Islanders who basically lost the game as much as the Rangers won it.  The fighting penalties to Matt Rempe and Matt Martin once again prove my point about the Rangers needing a "goon" or enforcer.  The NHL made a big deal out of taking fighting out of the sport and created a host of penalties to accompany the 5 minute major.  This past year the refs stopped calling the other penalties - instegator, roughing, 10 minute misconducts, etc.  In a world where penalties matter the refs could have called a bench minor on the team that started the fight at the drop of the puck - delay of game or unsportsmanlike conduct.  They could have looked at the replay and figured out which player started the fight and called an instegator penalty.  They could have given each player an additional 10 minutes for fighting at the drop of the puck - which to me means the game was not being played at the time the fight started.  BUT the refs did not call anything extra.  To me the game is back to the team and players defending themselves when necessary.  The Rangers simply are not built to defend themselves when the play gets dirty  If they want to make a run in the playoffs they are going to have to find someone who can play dirty and defend their stars when their stars are being run at or hit by opponents.  Igor should never be touched, Fox should never be hit.  Those 2 in particular should draw a crowd of Rangers and the opponent should be "punished" at some point in the game for their indiscretion.  The lack of effort by this team of Rangers is obvious and fixable (I hope) but the inability to defend yourself and your teammates when necessary is not fixable with the current roster - unless that is going to be Rempe's role???  If the refs won't do their job it is up to the players and the team to do theirs.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I believe you're right. Keenan has had issues with so many players, ots hard to keep track. 

He was notoriously difficult to play for.

And as you said, the list of players that he had issues with is long and distinguished.

Thornton couldn’t stand him. Granted he was still a kid then. But IIRC, numerous players on that Bruins team were opposed to him even being hired.

That team was really talented up front.

No great player on D, but decent.

Goaltending was bad though. That killed them. 

That was Thornton’s first 30 goal season he had. Really was his breakout season.

He only scored 30+ twice in his career. Both in Boston.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Wait, you are telling other people that their effort is low and to do better...when your only response for being wrong all season about every prediction you had about his regular season is now "only playoffs matter"?

The irony is thick as Hank's wrench. 

Look man, I'm not coming at you too hard. We all say a lot of stuff here. A lot of it is wrong. You have no problem keeping receipts, so man up when yours are getting called.

It’s not a pride thing or a man up thing. It’s just a common sense thing. “Can he do it in the playoffs for the Rangers” is not a pullable receipt right now. You’ve been trying to at various points during the regular season, and it’s really low effort. You know it too. Do better.

You should try enjoying the win for what it was today like I did. Lucky and undeserved, but I don’t give a shit because it was against a hated rival and their fans got sent home sad after blowing hundreds or thousands of dollars to sit in cold weather for 4 hours.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

21 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Keenan would've pulled Igor after the first period. 😆

Keenan gets a bad rap in hindsight, and he did plenty to deserve it.

To his credit, now, he does admit to that and own it.

He couldn’t survive today with his methods and psychology, but for the first half of his career, he was one of the 2-3 best coaches in the game. 

Keenan’s first 10 seasons as HC/GM in the NHL are absolutely incredible.

Edited by RangersIn7

• Phil unpinned this topic
16 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Keenan gets a bad rap in hindsight, and he did plenty to deserve it.

To his credit, now, he does admit to that and own it.

He couldn’t survive today with his methods and psychology, but for the first half of his career, he was one of the 2-3 best coaches in the game. 

Keenan’s first 10 seasons as HC/GM in the NHL are absolutely incredible.

Indeed. Pretty much Hall of Fame worthy, or at least on that pace for sure.

Watched the Rempe fight again. His face after is awesome. Kid looks like an animal. I’d love for him and edstrom to stick on the fourth line because the two of them are absolutely huge and can both skate. Intimidation matters.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Indeed. Pretty much Hall of Fame worthy, or at least on that pace for sure.

If you include the one year in 92-93, where they forced him to just GM in Chicago, in 10 seasons:

Won a Cup

Finals 4 times

7 division titles

6 times to at least Conference finals 

3 President’s Trophies 

Only 1 losing season

Insane

• Morphinity 2.0 changed the title to [RS] (#55) Rangers @ New York Islanders — the One With the Big Ass Jersey Numbers
3 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

One of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had at a sporting event. 

even sitting super high up, had a good view. The comeback 

yelling. YES YS  YES on the way out l, seeing all the isles fans who talked so much shit scurry away. Oh man what a day 

What was the Islanders/Rangers fan ratio? Even just watching on TV, it looked like 80/20 Rangers fans, at least.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

If you include the one year in 92-93, where they forced him to just GM in Chicago, in 10 seasons:

Won a Cup

Finals 4 times

7 division titles

6 times to at least Conference finals 

3 President’s Trophies 

Only 1 losing season

Insane

It would have been interesting to see what would've happened if he stuck around with the Rangers. 

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s not a pride thing or a man up thing. It’s just a common sense thing. “Can he do it in the playoffs for the Rangers” is not a pullable receipt right now. You’ve been trying to at various points during the regular season, and it’s really low effort. You know it too. Do better.

You should try enjoying the win for what it was today like I did. Lucky and undeserved, but I don’t give a shit because it was against a hated rival and their fans got sent home sad after blowing hundreds or thousands of dollars to sit in cold weather for 4 hours.

I'd say you deserve any win where you come back from four down. They showed an incredible amount of resiliency. I don't understand why you don't give them credit for that and you only look at the negative, but that's been your perception for a while.

You said more about Panarin regarding the regular season and how he was destined for a decline, and since you were wrong about that you're now defaulting to "well, only playoffs matter". You also fired up the trade Panarin thread when his production "dipped" from 140 point pace to "only" 100 point pace. He's now on pace for about 47 goals and 110 points. 

Maybe you should just try enjoying his regular season for what it is, being that you yourself just admitted the playoffs aren't a pullable receipt right now. It's just your default position because you're being proven wrong about his regular season.