• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#48) Rangers vs. Vegas Golden Knights — Thank You, Sir. May I Have Another?

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I just think that possession time, while great, isn’t the be all end all. Like Herb Brooks said: “it’s not weaving for weavings sake.” At some point, the puck needs to go on net, even if it’s a low percentage play. It can’t just be cycling, cycling, cycling and looking for the perfect pass through the perfect seam. Sometimes flinging it on net, you’ll find a body or a skate. The mentality needs to be to find more greasy goals and look for puck luck as opposed to pretty passing and zone possession.

I don't disagree, but we also can't act like the weaving isn't worth it. It wears out defenses, it wears out the goalie. 

It's not any different than cycling, the idea is to keep it going until the other team makes a mistake and somebody winds up open.

A totally get that it has to result in shots, but the opposition goalie is literally saying that what they're doing is making it tough for him.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Shit you guys are totally right, last night wasn't on Shesty...

Donald Trump Ugh GIF by Election 2016

Gotta score more than one goal to win though. I’m not counting Kakko’s meaningless goal in garbage time.

Valley only shares all strengths too.

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

In all fairness have you ever heard an NHL player say “other team sucks, game was so easy”?

He didn't have to say anything at all about how difficult it was or not difficult it was. He could have just ended it at "They were really good team that has a lot of zone time and possession time."

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Shit you guys are totally right, last night wasn't on Shesty...

Donald Trump Ugh GIF by Election 2016

Gotta score more than one goal to win though. I’m not counting Kakko’s meaningless goal in garbage time.

A real dud last night for Igor.  Honestly, that's about the worst goaltending performance I've seen since I played in High School! 

I thought we had a decent first period and seemed to have the puck a lot before the roof caved in.  It was 3-1 before we knew it, and that was all she wrote.

And here are the Top 16 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Finlandia, whose Swiss cheese has less holes than Igor!

15 hours ago, phillyb said:

We've been on the road for so long, I forgot about my favorite song. 

15 hours ago, Karan said:

Were you not paying attention or just distracted by Emily's new mob boss wife look?

14 hours ago, phillyb said:

At the rate this game is going, Bonino is gonna score from the AHL

14 hours ago, Art20c said:

Wrong guy got waived

14 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not that this game is over but almost every loss is about giving up goals in bunches.  It’s the same problem over and over.  Call it Rangers Ground Hog Day. 

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Hey, there's Aiden Hill with a routine save on a wrist shot from 15 ft out... 

14 hours ago, knedragon said:

Bonino could have stopped 2 of them shots 

14 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

That sounds like something @Albatrosss says pre-game with his score prediction

5-1 Vegas

Lafreniere wins a puck battle

14 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Holy crap the world is going to end.   For the first time ever I agree with Subban.  

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Trocheck looking like he is about to bust out singing Bohemian Rhapsody in this awful PK segment.  

Freddy Trocheck. 

13 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

And Shesterkin's glove makes you think Mike Piazza was a gold glove catcher.

13 hours ago, VegasRanger said:

I would say "it's a 3 goal lead, so, we got a chance now", but fuck this team.

13 hours ago, Karan said:

Benoit Allaire must be on an around-the-world cruise or something.

13 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

See what Adin Hill just did? That's called a "glove save"

Igor, can you say "glove save"?

13 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Why we're they all shaking the referees hand after the game, congratulating him for staying awake all game?

13 hours ago, The Dude said:

I had my first colonoscopy today. The Rangers effort today matched what came out of me during the prep hours last night.

Just limping into the break, with very little hope to think we can pull off winning a game on the road tonight.  Lindgren is hurt again, and the one thing I never thought we would be concerned about has shown it's ugly face; Igor has been pretty piss poor of late.

...and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @jsrangers JS!  I was wondering the same!

Ok, let's just get one tonight and give us a little hope that we're gonna be alright!   ...and shoot the fucking puck, please?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Igor let in two bad goals to start the second period, and it deflated everybody. That's the long and short of it. 

Just now, Pete said:

Igor let in two bad goals to start the second period, and it deflated everybody. That's the long and short of it. 

I don’t agree the 2nd goal was bad. It was a really nice shot and sometimes you get beat. 79 and 10 shouldn’t have played hot potato on the opposing blueline. That’s called dumb hockey.

I didn’t like Igor on the 3rd goal. Bad rebound and had to take the follow up shot out of position. Vegas got an incredibly lucky carom off the boards on the wide shot though.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t agree the 2nd goal was bad. It was a really nice shot and sometimes you get beat. 79 and 10 shouldn’t have played hot potato on the opposing blueline. That’s called dumb hockey.

I didn’t like Igor on the 3rd goal. Bad rebound and had to take the follow up shot out of position. Vegas got an incredibly lucky carom off the boards on the wide shot though.

He got beaten by a 4th liner on a half breakaway from outside the circles. It's a bad goal. He had full vision of the puck and plenty of time and space to make a save. It's not like Kolesar cut to the middle and deked a few times. He literally took a few strides and shot high glove.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Not sure CSA watched the game, but i did

CSA - Vali also a couple games ago in a rhetorical way said he knows what the stats show but why are the Rangers getting outgoalied in virtually every game.  That's really not what's always going on. A big part of the answer is in his opinion if you are getting HDC's by guys that can't finish (there's a long list of those guys) it's much easier to make those saves.  So those opportunities aren't necessarily that dangerous at all.

That and Igor being league average or worse at times leads to exactly what we're seeing.  Igor isn't keeping any goals from going in the other teams net, barely keeping them out of his own.

Edited by jsrangers

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

He got beaten by a 4th liner on a half breakaway from outside the circles. It's a bad goal. He had full vision of the puck and plenty of time and space to make a save. It's not like Kolesar cut to the middle and deked a few times. He literally took a few strides and shot high glove.

His glove was just above his pad when the puck was shot. As a goalie, you want to keep that glove shoulder height because it's easier to drop your glove than it is to raise your glove. And his gloves stinks to begin with. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

His glove was just above his pad when the puck was shot. As a goalie, you want to keep that glove shoulder height because it's easier to drop your glove than it is to raise your glove. And his gloves stinks to begin with. 

Meh. Goalies typically don't have their glove up high in a high five fashion.

Maybe mid chest. 

Edit- also, it may be easier to drop your glove as in less muscle used. But I find it alot quicker and more fluid to raise the glove in an effort to make a save. There's a reason why short hops are terrifying for goalies. Rising shots that flatten out are harder to read and stop. Hand is typically going down to stop it. 

His glove doesn't stink to begin with either. It used to be pretty damn good. 

He's having an awful season. Let's not exaggerate and make things up about his past, due to how bad he is now. There's not much comparison of what he's playing like now, to the last few years. 

Edited by The Dude

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is just flat out not true. spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I can show pictures too. 

I'd say the only time a goalie actually stands like that is when they are struggling and trying to find a shortcut.  Or mayyyybe on a faceoff.

You have Lundqvist in there as one of your pictures. Notorious shitty glove hand. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I can show pictures too. 

I'd say the only time a goalie actually stands like that is when they are struggling and trying to find a shortcut.  Or mayyyybe on a faceoff.

You have Lundqvist in there as one of your pictures. Notorious shitty glove hand. 

Lundqvist had to have his glove high because he played deep in the crease (that’s what she said). That was his style. Shesterkin has a completely different style. He is more aggressive and has no problem going way out to cut angles down.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I can show pictures too. 

Half of those guys have their gloves up lol. But good job googling "goalies with their glove down"

Bro, you're wrong, just eat it.

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Lundqvist had to have his glove high because he played deep in the crease (that’s what she said). That was his style. Shesterkin has a completely different style. He is more aggressive and has no problem going way out to cut angles down.

That is not the reason goalies should keep their gloves up. Again, it's easier to bring your glove down than it is to bring your glove up. This little thing called gravity, you know. 

But you guys just want to argue everything and then blame everybody else for wanting to argue everything.

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Half of those guys have their gloves up lol. But good job googling "goalies with their glove down"

Bro, you're wrong, just eat it.

You're saying shoulder. I'm saying mid chest. My pictures are mid chest. Youres are next to their head, like they're waiving hello to you. 

That's a 10" to a foot difference.  The fact that you see no difference is funny. 

Edited by The Dude

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

That is not the reason goalies should keep their gloves up. Again, it's easier to bring your glove down than it is to bring your glove up. This little thing called gravity, you know. 

But you guys just want to argue everything and then blame everybody else for wanting to argue everything.

But gravity has nothing to do with range of motion. It's easier to lift your arm than it is to MOVE it down.  There's a difference between dropping your arm and physically moving it. 

You're not going to just drop your arm to make a save. You're going to physically move it. It's a bit more awkward.  Try it. Do it right now. Wave your arm up in a glove save motion. Now wave you're arm down.  It's harder. 

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

You're saying shoulder. I'm saying mid chest. My pictures are mid chest. Youres are next to their head, like they're waiving hello to you. 

That's a 10" to a foot difference.  The fact that you see no difference is funny. 

I'm not going to quibble about chest or shoulder height. The fact of the matter is Shesty glove was too low. You're arguing just to argue. "It's not shoulder height! It's chest height!" What are you trying to prove? 

Even Valliquette tweeted this right after the goal.

Edited by Pete

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Oh I agree. It’s what you said, but the deeper you play the more imperative it is to play glove high because there’s more net to cover.

Shesterkin came out on the goal we are talking about. Glove lower is not egregious because the further out, the less “high” you have to cover because of the angle. If they shoot over your glove it’s going high above the net. I think Igor wasn’t out quite far enough yet and the quick shot surprised him. It was also a perfectly placed shot. This is not a dribbler that squeezes through his arm and body. That’s why I don’t think it’s some egregiously bad goal that should be getting highlighted when it’s painfully obvious Miller and Panarin were the problem on the play. The nonchalant attitude is the problem.

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But gravity has nothing to do with range of motion. It's easier to lift your arm than it is to MOVE it down.  There's a difference between dropping your arm and physically moving it. 

You're not going to just drop your arm to make a save. You're going to physically move it. It's a bit more awkward.  Try it. Do it right now. Wave your arm up in a glove save motion. Now wave you're arm down.  It's harder. 

If you're seriously trying to tell me that lowering your arm is harder than raising your arm with a catching glove on, then there's nothing left to say.

Again, you're just wrong. But I'm not going to argue about it anymore. 

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Oh I agree. It’s what you said, but the deeper you play the more imperative it is to play glove high because there’s more net to cover.

Shesterkin came out on the goal we are talking about. Glove lower is not egregious because the further out, the less “high” you have to cover because of the angle. If they shoot over your glove it’s going high above the net. I think Igor wasn’t out quite far enough yet and the quick shot surprised him. It was also a perfectly placed shot. This is not a dribbler that squeezes through his arm and body. That’s why I don’t think it’s some egregiously bad goal that should be getting highlighted when it’s painfully obvious Miller and Panarin were the problem on the play. The nonchalant attitude is the problem.

I think it's more the case that you want to blame specific players but the buck stops with the goalie. That was a stoppable shot. 

3 of the 4 goals Shesterkin is partly to blame for but all 4 goals there’s also a mistake by the Rangers that contributes to the goals.  They need less defensive lapses and more timely big saves.  Shesterkin after a so so regular season last year was money in the playoffs so I’m hoping he can right the ship.  Defense has been a problem for a few years and not sure if it gets fixed.   Bone headed plays seem to be made by the same players over and over.  And we know who the main culprits are.  

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not going to quibble about chest or shoulder height. The fact of the matter is Shesty glove was too low. You're arguing just to argue. "It's not shoulder height! It's chest height!" What are you trying to prove? 

Even Valliquette tweeted this right after the goal.

You have been quibbling. It's why you brought pictures.  

OK fix exposure to high glove. Doesn't mean hold your fucking glove next to your head. 

Know what's an easier goal to score? In between a goalies arm and his body. By holding your glove high (in the sense that you're saying.---- waive to grandma!) you are giving away crucial ner space. 

Meh. I find it harder to wave my arm down in a concentrated motion. You think goalies just go flail to drop their glove in a save attempt.  You know? Gravity...  right? Wrong.

subzero GIF

Edited by The Dude