• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #39] Rangers vs Vancouver Canucks — Jack Adams Battle

Goaltending was the difference and some sloppy D. We scored 3 goals on 42 shots while our "all star" goalie failed to stop 5 of 26. Where's the big save or hell, the routine save?

The D can be worked out; ride Quick till the wheels fall off. 

42 shots is indicative of a good offensive game. I can't get on anyone outside of Shesty, and most of the D corp. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He's got a few months yet to get this team's shit in gear, but I think he's going to have to start getting creative and send some messages. It might lead to some short term pain in exchange for long term gain.

Lavi is what, the third or fourth HC trying to change the core players? I do hope that he can, but there’s a tough road ahead. Whatever he has in mind might meet some resistance, or even resentment. At least time is on his side….

• Believe 1

Not looking so good right now. Goaltending is very questionable, team make up is not too far behind that. Swiss cheese team defence with the holes bigger than Grand Canyon. 

Edited by Art20c

21 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Don’t be. Othmann had a decent first game. Nothing since. Kid has nothing to do with the team winning or losing 

Because he doesn't see the ice. Can't produce,  can't get into  the game,  if you get 2 shifts a period. 

Laviolette is riding the shit out of the top 6. They're all over 20 minutes except for Lafreniere and Wheeler. Bottom 6 are all under utilized. He's not spreading the icetime more equally, like he was earlier on. 

This is a different gameplan and a different mindset than earlier in the season.  Its not only the players. This line juggling and benching players to the point of having anyone get under 9 minutes of icetime,  is NOT what got them off to a good start. It's gone from the coach preaching team play, to double shifting the top 6 players. 

If he's not happy with the structure of the bottom-6. Move your 3.6 million dollar 4th liner up a click, with some of the wasted youth that is rotting on the bench. Move your non physical D man down to the 3rd pair. He's not being creative. He's turning into GG. 

Any chance Drury is pushing buttons and making decisions? The philosophy we saw is out the window. 

All you had to do was watch Tampa vs Toronto, or Boston vs Florida in the first round of the playoffs last season to understand what the Rangers lacked. I didn't like blaming Gallant (although he said some stupid things) last season, just as I don't want to blame Laviolette this season. When this team isn't interested in doing the things necessary to win, it's noticeable. It's up to Laviolette (and Drury), by any means necessary, to do the things that send the message to the players that performances like tonight (or Carolina) are not acceptable.

8 minutes ago, jamsim1967 said:

All you had to do was watch Tampa vs Toronto, or Boston vs Florida in the first round of the playoffs last season to understand what the Rangers lacked. I didn't like blaming Gallant (although he said some stupid things) last season, just as I don't want to blame Laviolette this season. When this team isn't interested in doing the things necessary to win, it's noticeable. It's up to Laviolette (and Drury), by any means necessary, to do the things that send the message to the players that performances like tonight (or Carolina) are not acceptable.

I feel like if anyone is blaming Laviolette for the team's shortcomings, they haven't been paying enough attention. He's an undeniably good coach with a good track record, sans Washington.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

2 things;

Can't keep rolling Wheeler out there. He's a black hole.Simply too slow. Not gonna beat him up. In a long playoff run, who knows. But having him take up a slot on one of the top 2 lines is not working. 

Think there's  a very strong possibility they cut bait on Miller. Still has trade value because there's talent on offense, but he's a defensive disaster. Canucks seemed to sense every time he stepped on the ice and pounced. 

Another game like Sens where a good forecheck appears to stifle them. Approaching a point there's gonna be a reckoning as to whether Kakko and Chytil are coming back, and the trades that have to be made no matter how you flow chart things.

Team is lucky they piled up points.

Edited by Bugg

52 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The problem is the Rangers have too many guys who want to make the great pass and not enough that want to take a decent shot instead of trying to make that great pass.

Been endemic here for a while. Lav knows this better than anyone. 42 shots and felt like if they played more straight line to the goal could have been 15 more. 

Miller sucks. Either try him at wing or get rid of him. Every time we score he and trouba are on ice for next shift and we either give up a goal or come close to it. He is physically weak and only gets excited to play during an offensive rush or a poke check with his reach. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I feel like if anyone is blaming Laviolette for the team's shortcomings, they haven't been paying enough attention. He's an undeniably good coach with a good track record, sans Washington.

I feel the same way.

1 hour ago, torontonyr said:

This team needs Ryan Reeves.

Comic relief?  The man turns 37 this month and was slow at 27.  He had one point in 21 games and was -11 with a good team before getting hurt this year.  

The NY Softies have zero shot at a cup if this is how they choose to play.  Unless they rediscover their balls and decide to play a much more physical game, the first round is where they exit.  

Edited by delneggs
spelling

33 minutes ago, Mdk154 said:

Miller sucks. Either try him at wing or get rid of him. Every time we score he and trouba are on ice for next shift and we either give up a goal or come close to it. He is physically weak and only gets excited to play during an offensive rush or a poke check with his reach. 

The defensive awareness is just not there. He has some speed and a long reach, and it's only effectively on display when he's chasing the play after getting beat.

watched the highlights...and they were plenty deflating...

question is...if this team is pretty much a guaranteed 1 or 2 series and done...is it worth giving up any picks at the deadline?

• Bullseye 1

5 hours ago, Mdk154 said:

Well he's no Kravtsov, that's for sure. 

10 hours ago, The Dude said:

Because he doesn't see the ice. Can't produce,  can't get into  the game,  if you get 2 shifts a period. 

Laviolette is riding the shit out of the top 6. They're all over 20 minutes except for Lafreniere and Wheeler. Bottom 6 are all under utilized. He's not spreading the icetime more equally, like he was earlier on. 

This is a different gameplan and a different mindset than earlier in the season.  Its not only the players. This line juggling and benching players to the point of having anyone get under 9 minutes of icetime,  is NOT what got them off to a good start. It's gone from the coach preaching team play, to double shifting the top 6 players. 

If he's not happy with the structure of the bottom-6. Move your 3.6 million dollar 4th liner up a click, with some of the wasted youth that is rotting on the bench. Move your non physical D man down to the 3rd pair. He's not being creative. He's turning into GG. 

Any chance Drury is pushing buttons and making decisions? The philosophy we saw is out the window. 

It’s Othmann’s third game. Maybe he should get eight or nine minutes. Who cares - it has no impact on the game.

This was one of those "bury your faces in your hands" game!  Just slow and sloppy.  The inability to simply get the puck out of our zone is killing us.  Not to mention we can't get a fucking save from our future $10 million goalie!

It looks like our injuries are catching up to us, and we were simply outclasses by a pretty damn good team.

Here are the Top 21 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”...Yeah, it was a pretty "happenin' thread" last night!

15 hours ago, Dem said:

Glad we are back in the States so the Rangers don't indulge in the pre-game Poutine. Let's go you fucking mopes. Get in gear move the puck, pin them in their own zone n make the Van goaltender look like fucking Lurch

13 hours ago, mbob said:

Krieders 70s stache somehow makes him look less tough, that’s a first. 

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

2018 Wheeler buries that. 2024 Wheeler is buried. 

13 hours ago, Phil said:

2018 Wheeler did shoot that. It took until 2024 to reach its destination, cause Wheeler.

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

2023 Lafrenière doesn't bury that 

2024 Lafrenière is a revelation and still doesn't bury that. But Wheeler sucks.   

12 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

Why is it I can picture Wheeler doing commercials for Depends?

12 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I get that some of these goals are skill goals, but Shesterkin has to make a save. Dude couldn't stop kielbasa from going through a colander right now.

12 hours ago, Dem said:

I knew I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue

12 hours ago, phillyb said:

When this team loses, this team fucking LOSES. 

11 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Might be time to bring the plants in from the ledge. Gonna’ need plenty of room for Rangers fans out there. 

11 hours ago, siddious said:

I need to call Verizon and work out a plan where I get my money back in games the rangers refuse to show up in. 

11 hours ago, Phil said:

New GDT title: Jacked Up Adams Battle.

11 hours ago, Phil said:

Let's Go Rest?

11 hours ago, Valriera said:

Kreider breaking out the wrist shot of old. Haven’t seen that since the last president

11 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Good god, that mustache on Kreider....is he banned from every playground in Manhattan, or just running a 1970s themed nightclub?

11 hours ago, Dem said:

Put some Slayer on the sound system at the garden and start banging some fucking bodies. Let's go girls

11 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

“…and they’re on their feet in the Garden.”

”Yeah, dick! We’re getting the fuck outta’ here!!”

11 hours ago, Phil said:

Yeah, in the same way that one flat tire is better than two. You still ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

10 hours ago, siddious said:

I think it’s time for dryer to make a move or two. 

~I wrote “drury” and it autocorrected to dryer. Somehow it feels appropriate. 

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

All the help from the family over the holidays is gone. He's back to sleepless nights and shitty hockey.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Well he's no Kravtsov, that's for sure. 

...and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to The G-Man @LindG1000!!! 

I was looking at Kreider and I just had to giggle.  That fucking thing looks ridiculous on him.  I'm actually surprised the Canucks didn't fall down on the ice laughing, looking at that thing!

There's probably something brewing and soon, kids.  This game felt like a wake up call to either bring in some help, or get your shit together!  It's still only January, so let's scooch in from the ledge and have a brewsky!

St. Lou on Thursday!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Drury fell in to same trap many do. A rotting corpse, like Wheeler, can't even fukin move out there, brought in under the guise of experience and leadership. How you can watch a guy like that and think he's going to help os beyond me. Why do you employ scouts? 

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

The problem isn’t that they signed wheeler. The contract is a joke and the gamble was worth it. 

the problem is that he’s getting top 6 minutes right now. That on lav just as much as drury who needs to make a hockey trade right now. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

The problem isn’t that they signed wheeler. The contract is a joke and the gamble was worth it. 

the problem is that he’s getting top 6 minutes right now. That on lav just as much as drury who needs to make a hockey trade right now. 

They’re missing guys. There’s 2 AHL’ers in the lineup. 
Bonino and Wheeler have slotted in UP the lineup. 

It’s what it is right now. 

I'd also like for them to send Brodz back down and slide Edstrom back in there. I wouldn't mind seeing him more at this point. Brodz is a good plug for a few games, can give you some energy for a bit. After that, he looks like what he is, a fringe NHL player.