• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

Maybe they should have traded Zac Jones for a 3rd round pick to regain a draft pick.....WTF are the Rangers going to do with him?  Can't go through waivers.  He doesn't fit, they couldnt trade him for a piece at the deadline.  He's wasting a way here.  

2 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Maybe they should have traded Zac Jones for a 3rd round pick to regain a draft pick.....WTF are the Rangers going to do with him?  Can't go through waivers.  He doesn't fit, they couldnt trade him for a piece at the deadline.  He's wasting a way here.  

Honestly....I feel bad for the kid.

7 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Summer move...He's depth at a postion that takes a beating in the playoffs.  He might just be forced in there one day.  Never bad to have too many serviceable players.

We went to the ECF with Vatrano and Copp....this is another iteration of that lineup with Wennberg and Roslovic. I'm a big fan and think it was the right move. One alone wasn't enough but both fill depth and holes for a roster needed to be complemented not reworked. Let's do this!!

• Applause 1
  • Believe 1

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

We went to the ECF with Vatrano and Copp....this is another iteration of that lineup with Wennberg and Roslovic. I'm a big fan and think it was the right move. One alone wasn't enough but both fill depth and holes for a roster needed to be complemented not reworked. Let's do this!!

Vatrano and copp > Wennberg and roslovic though. 

and also we had a first line center then 

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

Vatrano and copp > Wennberg and roslovic though. 

and also we had a first line center then 

What are you basing this on?

At the time of acquisition, Copp only had 10 more points than Wennberg does, and is nowhere nearly as good defensively.

Vatrano had 19 points, Roslovic has 23.

These are just the boxcars, I haven't looked at any metrics but right off the bat I'm not seeing any validity to that statement. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

What are you basing this on?

At the time of acquisition, Copp only had 10 more points than Wennberg does, and is nowhere nearly as good defensively.

Vatrano had 19 points, Roslovic has 23.

These are just the boxcars, I haven't looked at any metrics but right off the bat I'm not seeing any validity to that statement. 

I didnt realize ther numbers (copp and vatrano) were so low. Copp in particular. 

Fair points, I concede.

• Applause 1

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

I didnt realize ther numbers (copp and vatrano) were so low. Copp in particular. 

Fair points, I concede.

🤝

Again, that's just glossing over the boxcars. It's not exactly a deep dive into the data, I just think the moves made today were the right ones, even if they weren't the splashy or sexy ones. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I find it very hard to be upset. Perhaps a little conservative, but the adds are tangible and cost virtually nothing.

This and didn’t get forced into over paying for anything.  Some people will cry that he didn’t do anything but what was there really to do?  It’s not about the names, it’s about the fit.  We added a great defensive centerman to go against top players and who know what roslovic can be on a top line with Zib and Kreider.  Who knows, maybe he turns into a version of Buch for that line

• Cheers 2
  • Believe 2

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

I find it very hard to be upset. Perhaps a little conservative, but the adds are tangible and cost virtually nothing.

All in all, it didn't impact the ability to do big game hunting in the summer. That's a great thing. It's not that big a boost to the roster this year, but that's A-OK for me.

I'd be disappointed if I was in the "we so good" camp though.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

I think Jones is signed for next season. He should’ve never signed a 2 year deal. 

On 3/8/2024 at 1:19 PM, Blue Heaven said:

On 3/8/2024 at 3:04 PM, RJWantsTheCup said:

I think Jones is signed for next season. He should’ve never signed a 2 year deal. 

He is signed for next year and should be able to fill Gus' spot just fine.

• Keeps it 100 1

On 3/8/2024 at 3:19 PM, Blue Heaven said:

He's going to go in a summer deal.  He'll be the throw-in that nobody will say no too even if they don't really want him all that much.

I don’t even view someone like Vatrano as someone who was out there. Could he have been had? Sure, every player has a price and every team has a price for that player. Especially a team as bad as Anaheim. But just because he fit our needs and Anaheim stinks doesn’t mean they’re gonna fork him over for free; especially when he has another affordable year left on his deal. You can sell high now, which they sound like they would have been willing to do, or you can hold him and see what the future holds as far as maybe being an attractive option next year at the deadline or if you can get him to re-sign moving forward.

So really outside of Guentzel, no sure fire game changer were really “available”on the market. Pittsburgh had to move him. Anaheim didn’t have to move Vatrano. So I think we did okay. I’ve mentioned some questions about Duclair, which I stand by for now. But that’s just debating to debate really. I like Roslovic and I like Wennberg.

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I don’t even view someone like Vatrano as someone who was out there. Could he have been had? Sure, every player has a price and every team has a price for that player. Especially a team as bad as Anaheim. But just because he fit our needs and Anaheim stinks doesn’t mean they’re gonna fork him over for free; especially when he has another affordable year left on his deal. You can sell high now, which they sound like they would have been willing to do, or you can hold him and see what the future holds as far as maybe being an attractive option next year at the deadline or if you can get him to re-sign moving forward.

So really outside of Guentzel, no sure fire game changer were really “available”on the market. Pittsburgh had to move him. Anaheim didn’t have to move Vatrano. So I think we did okay. I’ve mentioned some questions about Duclair, which I stand by for now. But that’s just debating to debate really. I like Roslovic and I like Wennberg.

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/anaheim-ducks/latest-news/report-ducks-offered-rangers-a-deal-including-vatrano-henrique-kakko-and-a-draft-pick-the-rangers-rejected

Interesting move by Drury here.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

I mean, that’s not saying they’re “available.” That’s saying: “If you’re willing to overpay, you can have the asset.” For instance, look at the rumors with Alex Tuch. He’s not what you would call available, but nothing stopped Drury from picking up the phone because he fit a need for us. But like Anaheim, Buffalo likely either walled him off or said he’s yours for a massive haul. It’s the same thing. You can pry anyone away if you have the assets. That doesn’t mean it’s always in your best interest to do so.

Edited by RichieNextel305

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mean, that’s not saying they’re “available.” That’s saying: “If you’re willing to overpay, you can have the asset.” For instance, look at the rumors with Alex Tuch. He’s not what you would call available, but nothing stopped Drury from picking up the phone because he fit a need for us. But like Anaheim, Buffalo likely either walled him off or said he’s yours for a massive haul. It’s the same thing. You can pry anyone away if you have the assets. That doesn’t mean it’s always in your best interest to do so.

💯

It's like when husbands ask wives for sex... If all the stars align and you're prepared to fork over the moon and the stars, you might get to hit it.

So Drury just went to the bathroom and whacked off... You still get the same release, but it's Wennberg and Roslovic.

It's not always about who's the sexiest it's about who gets it done. 

• LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Yeah. But they did push Kakko up to the Zibanejad line again with Verbeek in the building.  

My opinion is that the truth is somewhere in the middle. Either the Rangers wanted more from Anaheim (retention), the Rangers didn't want to add the first or someone talked Drury out of this package and he backed out of something he may have had on the table. 

I think they may have had intentions of trading Kakko. Pushing him up the lineup for that game suggests a showcase. 

The price was certainly steep. Tough call.  Maybe the right call. 

Edited by The Dude
  • VINNY! 1