• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

6 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

IMO the GMs were trying to aim high for the Rangers top prospects + Kakko but Drury wasnt budging on them.  Didnt help that the Rangers don't have any 2nd and 3rd round picks until like the year 2090

This is why you can't keep paying draft picks for rentals: eventually you run out of draft picks and the rentals fly the coop.

• Like 1

Just now, Scott said:

We're going to regret not having a 1RW. That hole just didn't pop up unless we're going to discard the last several months.

Time for Kakko to shine 

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is why you can't keep paying draft picks for rentals: eventually you run out of draft picks and the rentals fly the coop.

How do you suggest addressing lineup holes at the headline?

Rangers could put Wennberg at RW on line 1.

It'd be like shock therapy for Zibanejad.  Every time he passed the puck to Wennberg it'd bounce right back onto his stick.  Have to shoot eventually right?

• LOL 1

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

We can easily re-stock draft picks when our window starts to close, I believe, Brad.  It's guys like Kakko, Miller, and the rest we can't get back so easily.

I see how hard it was to try and get Buchnevich outta St. Louis.  I'm not gonna worry about picks this year in a draft that's about 15 players deep. 

I'm up for taking a swing with the guys that got us here. 

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Time for Kakko to shine 

He may someday, hope he does. That day hasn't happened to this date and I would be surprised if he magically found it in the playoffs.  Almost everybody to a man on this board acknowledged we didn't have a 1RW for almost if not the entire season. Now we're supposed to believe we're fine nothing to see here.

Edited by Scott

Just now, Br4d said:

Rangers could put Wennberg at RW on line 1.

It'd be like shock therapy for Zibanejad.  Every time he passed the puck to Wennberg it'd bounce right back onto his stick.  Have to shoot eventually right?

Zib says "Hold my beer..."

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

It appears this is what we’re gonna roll with going into the playoffs. 

We are where we are for a reason. And I don’t agree with not doing something about addressing that hole.

That said, we are where we are for a reason. Nut up or shut up time.

Sometimes this is just how the chips fall. If you miss out on your targets, that's not a reason to make bad trades for the sake of a trade. They've gotten this far in spite of their flaws. I'd rather take my chances than make bad deals for bad players who'll probably end up being a waste of time/assets anyway.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Hey if we really got through the deadline with a strong possibility that Edstrom or Rempe is in the playoff lineup we did it right.

Edited by Br4d
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Half the reason they are in this predicament is because Drury had to pay two future 2nds to unload Nemeth’s contract, who he signed less than 12 months prior. He spent over 6m on long term contracts for Goodrow and Nemeth.

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

He may someday, hope it does. That day hasn't happened to this date and I would be surprised if he magically found it in the playoffs.  Almost everybody to a man on this board acknowledged we didn't have a 1RW for almost if not the entire season. Now we're supposed to believe we're fine nothing to see here.

It's put up or shut up time for a kid that's in a contract year.  This is his chance to make good on a year that's not been his best by far.  He has all the talent in the world, and it needs to come together.  Why not now?

He's been given the chance and now we get to see what he's really made of.  I'm all for it.  I think we're going to be pleasantly surprised too.

Edited by Ozzy

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Half the reason they are in this predicament is because Drury had to pay two future 2nds to unload Nemeth’s contract, who he signed less than 12 months prior. He spent over 6m on long term contracts for Goodrow and Nemeth.

The other half of the reason is he refused to part ways with KK, BO, and GP for rentals. That's good business.

THey used their 2nd on the guy they wanted. You see what guys are going for? Late rounds as like 5ths in 2027.

Just now, Pete said:

The other half of the reason is he refused to part ways with KK, BO, and GP for rentals. That's good business.

THey used their 2nd on the guy they wanted. You see what guys are going for? Late rounds as like 5ths in 2027.

Correct. He pissed away a lot of picks, and at least he isn't doubling down by pissing away the next layer of more valuable assets.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Correct. He pissed away a lot of picks, and at least he isn't doubling down by pissing away the next layer of more valuable assets.

Be a glass half full guy. I know you can do it. It'll hurt, but you can do it.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

So every team that traded picks this year is doing it wrong?

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

No, every team that traded picks this year is facing the same reality the Rangers are: there can only be one.

So by definition all those teams took a 1 in 16 chance to be that one.  Maybe it's a 1 in 8 actual chance.  Even then the Rangers are still in that 8 right now and adding a merc rental or two wouldn't have changed that.

Vladimir Tarasenko - cup winner 1 RW.

Patrick Kane - cup winner 1 RW.

That's the blowout on merc rentals.  If you can't make a difference with them adding a Frank Vatrano isn't going to do it either.

The difference is already on the roster.  That guy, whoever he is, just needs to play like the difference maker.

Rangers can send Rempe and Edstrom back down for the AHL playoffs.  That's probably better experience than they will get sitting up here.

Next camp they'll both be in a similar position to Cuylle this season: a good camp could open eyes for them to stick.