• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

I agree.

Brodz has played hard and results aside, he really has done an admirable job.

But if you had a real player there, it could really be something.

Imagine if that line had a legit NHL center on that line and not Brodz?

• VINNY! 1

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

we dont really need a RW.  Upgrade of Wheeler would be nice but at what cost?  Need to spend whatever assets we have on a Center

Would much, much rather pay to get a legitimate center than pay to get a winger. Zib/Trocheck/real 3C (Jenner/Hartman were my suggestions) is way better than spending assets to get like Duclair or even Tarasenko IMO.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

10 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

we dont really need a RW.  Upgrade of Wheeler would be nice but at what cost?  Need to spend whatever assets we have on a Center

Yep, just noting the guy has changed agents again. At the same time failing to upgrade at center and compared to some of the other names out there you could do way worse than Tarasenko.

Taking into consideration Sphere is the top target overall.

32 minutes ago, Phil said:

Would much, much rather pay to get a legitimate center than pay to get a winger. Zib/Trocheck/real 3C (Jenner/Hartman were my suggestions) is way better than spending assets to get like Duclair or even Tarasenko IMO.

While I agree, I don’t think Tarasenko or Duclair are going to break the bank as far as cost of return goes. If whoever we acquire to be a 3C leaves us with some cap room, I can see a world where, if some draft capital is left over, Drury would investigate renting one of those 2 again for a stretch run.

18 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

While I agree, I don’t think Tarasenko or Duclair are going to break the bank as far as cost of return goes. If whoever we acquire to be a 3C leaves us with some cap room, I can see a world where, if some draft capital is left over, Drury would investigate renting one of those 2 again for a stretch run.

Not what I'm saying. They might be completely affordable. I'm saying I'd rather pool the resources required to get a legitimate upgrade at center (Jenner or Hartman) before spending to work the margins.

In other words, I'd rather spend to get Jenner and then give up very little to get Duhaime than spend to get Tarasenko (even if it's not as much as Jenner) only to end up with whoever the hell this year's John Mitchell is at center (probably Nic Dowd).

A right winger who can drive the Zib line is more important than a 3C now. Zib is no longer a line driver. He's a complimentary player, much like Kreider. That line needs a driver if this team wants to be serious about competing. You can't have a 2nd line like this that contributes way too little offensively. A high impact right wing on that line is needed in the worst way. That's not Tarasenko or Duclair. It would need to be someone of much higher quality.

It's probably worth finding out if that RW line driver is already here. Lafreniere is the next closest thing to a line driver this team has after Panarin. Put him with KZ and see what happens. Maybe he's ready to bring out the best in others. Panarin and Trocheck would be fine with Wheeler.

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

A right winger who can drive the Zib line is more important than a 3C now. Zib is no longer a line driver. He's a complimentary player, much like Kreider. That line needs a driver if this team wants to be serious about competing. You can't have a 2nd line like this that contributes way too little offensively. A high impact right wing on that line is needed in the worst way. That's not Tarasenko or Duclair. It would need to be someone of much higher quality.

It's probably worth finding out if that RW line driver is already here. Lafreniere is the next closest thing to a line driver this team has after Panarin. Put him with KZ and see what happens. Maybe he's ready to bring out the best in others. Panarin and Trocheck would be fine with Wheeler.

You can survive with what you have on right wing. You can't survive with Johnny Brodz as a third line center in the playoffs. 

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

You can survive with what you have on right wing. You can't survive with Johnny Brodz as a third line center in the playoffs. 

Disagree. Brodz isn’t getting enough recognition as one of the best defensive forwards on the team. He’s not contributing to depth scoring enough, but he’s not hurting you either. Very similar to Kakko.

Having Zib play like a checking center in a primary scoring role in the top 6 is a major problem.

• Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Disagree. Brodz isn’t getting enough recognition as one of the best defensive forwards on the team. He’s not contributing to depth scoring enough, but he’s not hurting you either. Very similar to Kakko.

Having Zib play like a checking center in a primary scoring role in the top 6 is a major problem.

I'm not going to have this debate again about Mika because it's a waste of time.

In no world is Johnny Brodzinski a third line center on a team that wants to make noise in the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not going to have this debate again about Mika because it's a waste of time.

In no world is Johnny Brodzinski a third line center on a team that wants to make noise in the playoffs.

You’re not winning with this iteration of Zibby as a primary option. Sorry.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

You’re not winning with this iteration of Zibby as a primary option. Sorry.

You're trying to fix a paper cut when there's a gunshot wound bleeding out. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

You're trying to fix a paper cut when there's a gunshot wound bleeding out. 

Quite the contrary. Fixing primary scoring is the gunshot wound. You’re more worried about depth scoring from a line that gets 10-12 min a night.

56 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Quite the contrary. Fixing primary scoring is the gunshot wound. You’re more worried about depth scoring from a line that gets 10-12 min a night.

Depth wins in the playoffs. You're trying to fix something that no one else thinks is broken... Across the entire hockey community. 

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

It is when Brodz is your third line center. 

Both are a significant areas of weakness for a team that hopes to make any kind of serious run.  If Mika and Kreider and whoever is playing RW can't get going at 5v5 I think they run outta offense quickly. Mika can't be this ineffective, they're going to need goals from him again imo. I don't think they're going to get by on goaltending this season.

No doubt Brodzinski is nowhere good enough either. 

Guess we'll see what happens, hopefully sooner rather than later.

1 minute ago, jsrangers said:

Both are a significant areas of weakness for a team that hopes to make any kind of serious run.  If Mika and Kreider and whoever is playing RW can't get going at 5v5 I think they run outta offense quickly. Mika can't be this ineffective, they're going to need goals from him again imo. I don't think they're going to get by on goaltending this season.

No doubt Brodzinski is nowhere good enough either. 

Guess we'll see what happens, hopefully sooner rather than later.

I don't think MZ problem is solved by a right wing. I think it's solved by him shooting more. Adding a right wing isn't going to help that. I think you would get better results with a different left wing. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Depth wins in the playoffs. You're trying to fix something that no one else thinks is broken... Across the entire hockey community. 

The entire hockey community thought Kakko was a can't miss 2nd overall. Who cares what they think? I watch more Rangers games than they do.

Zibanejad hasn't scored a 5v5 goal in 18 games. That's before Christmas. Sorry. That's a bigger problem. You're worried about a nail in the tire and I'm here telling you the engine is on fire.

• Applause 1

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The entire hockey community thought Kakko was a can't miss 2nd overall. Who cares what they think? I watch more Rangers games than they do.

Zibanejad hasn't scored a 5v5 goal in 18 games. That's before Christmas. Sorry. That's a bigger problem. You're worried about a nail in the tire and I'm here telling you the engine is on fire.

Yeah, he needs to shoot more. I don't think adding a right-wing fixes that. 

It doesn't matter who watches more games. Every summer I lay out of my backyard and watch the stars, it doesn't make me an astronomer and it doesn't mean I can work for NASA. 

Edited by Pete

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, he needs to shoot more. I don't think adding a right-wing fixes that. 

It doesn't matter who watches more games. Every summer I lay out of my backyard and watch the stars, it doesn't make me an astronomer and it doesn't mean I can work for NASA. 

The Rangers have a winger on the 4th line with the 4th most 5v5 goals on the team, and 3 more than Zibanejad. Kakko has 1 fewer 5v5 goal than Zibanejad and he missed 21 games. Cuylle has more 5v5 goals than Zibanejad. I don't think depth scoring is the problem you think it is. Well, maybe it is if you think Zibanejad should be considered a depth player. At this point, maybe you'd be right.

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree that these lines are a logical thing to give a shot. I've said this many times. 

But. I think the 3C is still the bigger need. 

This is some rut for Zibanejad. As much as I am down on him, I fully expect him to flip a switch and get back on track.  And as cold as he is. .... He's had 7 assists in his last 10 games. ... Trust me. I think he's been totally invisible and weak. Playing some serious pussy hockey. He's overdue. It's going to come back. 

I'll also add that Tarasenko could possibly be a line driver, despite his output this season. I don't see any better options available that are in the Rangers cost in assets range. 

2 hours ago, jsrangers said:

I don't think Wheeler playing with Mika and Kreider is a papercut.

The same Wheeler that has 4 goals and 2 assists in his last 10 games? 

Zibanejad? 7 assists (only 1 on the PP) in last 10 

Kreider? 3 goals and 6 assists (3 assists on PP) in last 10?

The line is actually quietly producing and at ES (coincidence again... that it has happened with Wheeler there, but....)

No doubt it should be way more. Zibanejad has dried up on the PP.  So has Kreider. It's time to switch up PP1. It's dead. 

Blaming Wheeler for everything is getting old.