• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

Zibby definitely needs to shoot more, but I'd feel a ton better with Boone Jenner as our 3C.  I'd live with Hot Wheels as RW, and Jenner between Cuylle and Kakko.  I'd go as far to say we'd be a serious contender for the Cup the next 2 years if we land Jenner.

9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Rangers have a winger on the 4th line with the 4th most 5v5 goals on the team, and 3 more than Zibanejad. Kakko has 1 fewer 5v5 goal than Zibanejad and he missed 21 games. Cuylle has more 5v5 goals than Zibanejad. I don't think depth scoring is the problem you think it is. Well, maybe it is if you think Zibanejad should be considered a depth player. At this point, maybe you'd be right.

Most teams top players neutralize each other during the playoffs. They either score at the same pace, or they defend each other to the point where it's all nullified.

Depth wins in the playoffs.

The issues with Zib are there, no one is denying it. But the difference is he can play better, and he probably will. Brodz can't, and he'll probably regress. 

If you're so gung ho on keeping him around, he can always play right wing. 

Unfortunately I think they are going to stick it out with Brodzinski as 3C.  

Only move I see them making is for a RW for Zibanejad and Kreider's line and it's probably going to be someone we've seen before aka Vatrano or Tarasenko.

Not going off of anything just a hunch.

2 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Unfortunately I think they are going to stick it out with Brodzinski as 3C.  

Only move I see them making is for a RW for Zibanejad and Kreider's line and it's probably going to be someone we've seen before aka Vatrano or Tarasenko.

Not going off of anything just a hunch.

After what I watched last night, before figuring out the RW situation for that line, they need to figure out how to get the 2 guys already on that line to get going consistently. What’s been said about Zibanejad has been said. But man, what about Kreider? I was talking a little bit about it in the GDT last night with Pete, but can he be anymore of a passenger? Not just as far as driving play, but as far as simple things where it just seems like he is beyond blasé in almost every single facet of the game.

We have all seen those 2 play with more passion and more energy and more confidence. And I’m not saying that every single second is like a Game 7 across 82 games. But Kreider literally looked like he was treating last night like a free skate on an off-day in October. He really needs to screw his head on straight and get back into the thick of things here. We can all see Mika gripping the stick too hard. But Kreider needs to start treating these games like they’re something more than preseason games too if we have any hope of seeing that line wake up.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

18 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

After what I watched last night, before figuring out the RW situation for that line, they need to figure out how to get the 2 guys already on that line to get going consistently. What’s been said about Zibanejad has been said. But man, what about Kreider? I was talking a little bit about it in the GDT last night with Pete, but can he be anymore of a passenger? Not just as far as driving play, but as far as simple things where it just seems like he is beyond blasé in almost every single facet of the game.

We have all seen those 2 play with more passion and more energy and more confidence. And I’m not saying that every single second is like a Game 7 across 82 games. But Kreider literally looked like he was treating last night like a free skate on an off-day in October. He really needs to screw his head on straight and get back into the thick of things here. We can all see Mika gripping the stick too hard. But Kreider needs to start treating these games like they’re something more than preseason games too if we have any hope of seeing that line wake up.

100% this. I know he's getting the odd goal here and there, but man does he look completely different. He's not driving to the net much for those tip-ins, don't see much of the speed & hustle we know he has, even his passes seem half-assed. He's just a passenger at this point. A part of me wonders if that's actually affecting Zib more than we think, since he's trying to make plays with a non-existent Kreids, and Wheeler on the other side who enters the zone a full half hour after the play has ended.

Edited by RangerDanger
spelling
  • LMFAO 1

10 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Agreed. Adding a right wing doesn't solve anything for those 2.

I'd certainly look at swapping centers on the 1st and 3rd line. Gotta get Zib and Kreider away from each other. Brodz scored last night because he actually shot the puck. I think you will see Zib shoot more if he's not always looking for Krieder.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, RangerDanger said:

100% this. I know he's getting the odd goal here and there, but man does he look completely different. He's not driving to the net much for those tip-ins, don't see much of the speed & hustle we know he has, even his passes seem half-assed. He's just a passenger at this point. A part of me wonders if that's actually affecting Zib more than we think, since he's trying to ake plays with a non-existent Kreids and Wheeler who enters the zone a full half hour after the play ended.

CK has 3 goals in his last 14 games. That's just not good enough.

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I just don't see Lavi splitting the 2 of them up.  Zibanejad you can see is at least giving an effort.  Kreider looks like the only thing he's interested in is trying to deflect shots standing to the side of the goalie.

He's in love with himself a little too much these days.

I don't subscribe to any kind of "country club" and "entitled vets" narrative, but I'll continue to beat the drum around the idea that if you want to change the culture in that room, he'd be the first to go for me.

• VINNY! 1

23 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's in love with himself a little too much these days.

I don't subscribe to any kind of "country club" and "entitled vets" narrative, but I'll continue to beat the drum around the idea that if you want to change the culture in that room, he'd be the first to go for me.

Kreider started the season ok, but his effort has disappeared.

• Keeps it 100 1

You guys are right.  I think I've seen enough of Kreider on the top line with Zibby.

I get the whole Bro-mance thing, but I don't really see anything coming out of that at even strength any longer.  I don't mind Kreider playing with Zibby on PP1.  I think that would be excellent, but at even strength, I really think Lavvy should, or at least I hope to see some experimentation with possibly Cuylle up with Zibby.

I don't even mind Wheeler up there because he seemed to mash with Cuylle pretty well for a few games.  Or, maybe even put Kakko up there with Cuylle and Zibby.  Either way,  I think it's high time to move Kreider down to the 3rd line.

I think he gets most of his points on the PP, or though it seems.  (You guys have the point totals, but at least that's what I'm seeing).

We're most likely going to make a trade for a 3C, or at least I hope we do.  If we get a guy like Jenner.  We can have Jenner between Kreider and Vesey, and maybe move Brodz to the 4th line where he could be more useful, and go Goody/Brodz/PitBull.

Listen, they’re both streaky. And when they’re going, they can score goals and create chances with the best of them. So I do get the allure of going to the well with them because it always is a matter of when they start going, not if.

That said, the streakiness of it and the inconsistency of them both right now is infuriating. And what makes it worse is when you see Kreider out there coasting around the ice as if it’s preseason.

The worst part about it is it seems to have leaked into their ability to produce on the PP, which is where they both earn their keep. And it’s no surprise to see our PP efficiency slipping a bit hand in hand with them both having difficulties and facing some adversity here. Mika can’t handle a pass for a shot and since everything is fed through trying to open him up for a shot, the other guys holding the puck a lot on the PP in Fox and Panarin aren’t shooting a whole lot, which leaves Kreider less opportunity for a deflection in front.

Again, when they’re going and they’re on, they’re really fucking on. But man, are they off right now. And as much as I don’t disagree with people saying Mika needs to get out of his own head, not enough is said right now about Kreider looking like he’s dogging it right now. He needs to bring it more.

33 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Listen, they’re both streaky. And when they’re going, they can score goals and create chances with the best of them. So I do get the allure of going to the well with them because it always is a matter of when they start going, not if.

That said, the streakiness of it and the inconsistency of them both right now is infuriating. And what makes it worse is when you see Kreider out there coasting around the ice as if it’s preseason.

The worst part about it is it seems to have leaked into their ability to produce on the PP, which is where they both earn their keep. And it’s no surprise to see our PP efficiency slipping a bit hand in hand with them both having difficulties and facing some adversity here. Mika can’t handle a pass for a shot and since everything is fed through trying to open him up for a shot, the other guys holding the puck a lot on the PP in Fox and Panarin aren’t shooting a whole lot, which leaves Kreider less opportunity for a deflection in front.

Again, when they’re going and they’re on, they’re really fucking on. But man, are they off right now. And as much as I don’t disagree with people saying Mika needs to get out of his own head, not enough is said right now about Kreider looking like he’s dogging it right now. He needs to bring it more.

This is why they need a RW to bring a bit more consistency and stability of production. 

• Applause 1

15 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

This is why they need a RW to bring a bit more consistency and stability of production. 

I’m not saying they don’t. And I’m not saying it shouldn’t be near the top of Drurys list of wants before the deadline. What I am saying is that it doesn’t matter who they acquire or if they acquire anyone if they both don’t figure their own issues out.

I think they just need to be split up, and just played on the PP.

I think we need a 3C more than Oxygen right now.  Jonny Brodz has played admirably, and this is not a take on him...but we're going to go in a deep playoff run, I want a Boone Jenner to play that role.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think they just need to be split up, and just played on the PP.

I think we need a 3C more than Oxygen right now.  Jonny Brodz has played admirably, and this is not a take on him...but we're going to go in a deep playoff run, I want a Boone Jenner to play that role.

I highly doubt Columbus trades Jenner especially since we aren't parting with our #1 pick.  Any decent 3C is going to cost that #1 pick.

I could be wrong but I think the Rangers think they are ok with Brodzinski as the 3C.  Not that I agree.

15 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I highly doubt Columbus trades Jenner especially since we aren't parting with our #1 pick.  Any decent 3C is going to cost that #1 pick.

I could be wrong but I think the Rangers think they are ok with Brodzinski as the 3C.  Not that I agree.

We gotta deal that #1 for Jenner.  I don't give a rat's ass about his fucking sphere, or draft day bullshit.  Dolan can't tie Drury's hands and expect him to win.  That #1 is probably the biggest asset we have right now that fits what Columbus is going to need going forward.

Jenner is still signed through 2026, so it's really a good hockey trade.

When was the last time we'd have been that solid up the middle, RJ? 

Dude, think of Zibby, Trocheck, Jenner, and Goody as our 4 Centers...That's a Cup Finals type lineup, no?

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

We gotta deal that #1 for Jenner.  I don't give a rat's ass about his fucking sphere, or draft day bullshit.  Dolan can't tie Drury's hands and expect him to win.  That #1 is probably the biggest asset we have right now that fits what Columbus is going to need going forward.

Dude, think of Zibby, Trocheck, Jenner, and Goody as our 4 Centers...That's a Cup Finals type lineup, no?

That is solid center ice depth this team has not had in the recent past. I def want to shore up that center ice but I just can't see us going far without a scoring threat on Zib and Ck's line. I'd prioritize that RW spot moreso than the 3c honestly. Our third line is playing very well. I'm cool with Brodz in that spot; he will most likely close the season around 30ish points pending he sticks there. He is speedy, isn't afraid to shoot, creates chances and forechecks like crazy. Sure id like it if he finished more but this guy has earned his spot imo.

14 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

That is solid center ice depth this team has not had in the recent past. I def want to shore up that center ice but I just can't see us going far without a scoring threat on Zib and Ck's line. I'd prioritize that RW spot moreso than the 3c honestly. Our third line is playing very well. I'm cool with Brodz in that spot; he will most likely close the season around 30ish points pending he sticks there. He is speedy, isn't afraid to shoot, creates chances and forechecks like crazy. Sure id like it if he finished more but this guy has earned his spot imo.

I hear ya.  I'm not saying Brodz can't be helpful.  We could even use him on RW.  I just think that in the playoffs, the center position is where it's won and lost.  I respect your point though, J.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

The RW issue is adjacent, it's not going to change anything if MZ doesn't shoot and Chris Glider is still hanging around.

Edited by Pete
  • LOL 1

41 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It totally makes sense to get Jenner but it isn’t happening.  Dolan won’t let Drury trade the #1 and I don’t think Jenner is getting traded any way

Kreider is 2nd on the team in 5v5 goals and 4th in 5v5 points. Any notion that the team would improve 5v5 by reducing his minutes, linemate quality, and role is not backed by data. He's a top 6 complimentary player, a very good one, and because of that he needs to be with line drivers/playmakers who get the most out of him. If that playmaker isn't at center, it needs to be on the right side. I don't see a non-Zib option at center (internal or rental) who can do that, and as has been established, Zib isn't doing it either with his season long rut.

I love the idea of Cuylle-Zibanejad-Kakko though. That's a really nice shutdown and forechecking line, but that's about all anyone should expect. They would likely struggle to generate too much offensively, but possession and defense should be very, very good and that's important especially if they are matched up against the other team's better players. I could be sold on Kreider-X-Lafreniere. I mentioned yesterday that Lafreniere is probably the next closest thing to a playmaking line driver they have after Panarin, and that might work if you get Henrique or Jenner and play them in the middle.

Panarin-Trocheck-Wheeler (Primary scoring)

Kreider-Henrique/Jenner-Lafreniere (Secondary scoring)

Cuylle-Zibanejad-Kakko (big time shutdown line)

Vesey-Goodrow-Brodzinski (would be one of the best 4th lines in the league IMO)

I think I could get behind this.

Edited by BrooksBurner

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

The RW issue is adjacent, it's not going to change anything if MZ doesn't shoot and Chris Glider is still hanging around.

Idk if you came up with this but...Chris Glider is the funniest thing I've heard all day.

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

yet that fucker is almost a PPG player.  go figure