• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Struggle Continues with Kaapo Kakko

The Dude

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

For this reason, I still think an argument exists to extend him for 4 years or so like Chytil. Maybe he comes in a little less. 4x4. At worst it’s a slightly overpaid 3rd liner.

With that said, I’m not holding Kakko out of trade talks if they can land a legitimate top 6 winger with some term left.

Depends on the age of the winger, but I don't fully disagree. 

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, I wouldn't either. Send him to Ottawa as part of a deal for Tarasenko or something. I don't know if Ottawa would do it, it depends what else is in the deal. But, I think he'll be available one way or another.

I'm not opposed to moving Kakko for a top 6, but think we can land Tank back for less!  Then again depends on who else wants him.

5 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

as of right now he looks to be the biggest Rangers bust in the modern era.  

Lias Andersson and Kravtsov say hello. But yeah, he actually might be even more disappointing than those guys. Those two were basically reach picks whereas Kakko was chosen in the top two.

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Lias Andersson and Kravtsov say hello. But yeah, he actually might be even more disappointing than those guys. Those two were basically reach picks whereas Kakko was chosen in the top two.

he's bigger than any of them.  Closest might've been McIlrath, but that was just a brain fart (one of many) of the previous administration. 

Edited by Albatrosss

36 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Kakko has played Center in the past.  Maybe flip him into the middle on the 3rd line and move Goodrow or Vesey up to play RW?

He'll have a really hard time getting lost in the corner at Center.

He’s struggling at his natural position.

Hard to justify a move to a more difficult position under those circumstances.

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

He’s struggling at his natural position.

Hard to justify a move to a more difficult position under those circumstances.

Because it didn't work for Laffy?

Just saying, the Rangers are playing Nick Bonino at Center on line 3.  Kaapo has how many games at RW that suggest he is years away from being a good one?

31 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Because it didn't work for Laffy?

Just saying, the Rangers are playing Nick Bonino at Center on line 3.  Kaapo has how many games at RW that suggest he is years away from being a good one?

When did Kakko play center? I don't remember that happening honestly and a quick look shows he's taken 24 total faceoffs in his 250+ game career. 

8 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I believe he played there sparingly when still in Finland.

Ah. I wouldn't exactly count what he did sparingly as a teenager as holding too much weight. Maybe wing to wing but wing to center is a whole other animal and takes quite a long time to develop. Maybe? Sure. Likely? Not really, unless he wants it. 

Laviolette is exactly the kind of coach who could help Kakko with a change to Center.  His system has precisely assigned roles for each of the forwards and a lot of the who what where would go away as Kakko adjusted.  Yes, he hasn't gotten instruction yet in playing Center in the system but he has played with two different Centers who were being instructed and surely he was not absent as that was happening.

I'm not suggesting that this is an obvious move but the Rangers need another Center right now and Kakko has not been good at RW in the new system this season.  At some point they probably need to make an out of the box move with him to at least shake things up and give him a chance.

One of the obvious benefits of playing Kakko at Center is that he would be in proximity to the crease more often.  Even if that was primarily behind the net instead of in the corner it would give his skills more of a chance to amount to something offensively.

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If we’re that concerned about Chyti’s health and center depth, just trade Kakko for a real center. Win win all around except Chytil’s noggin, unfortunately.

Who is going to trade a 25-26 year old Center with the chops to play on our 2nd/3rd line for Kaapo Kakko right now?  That's what the Rangers would need to get back for a 22 year old with talent who can't find his asshole for his elbow at the moment.  🙂

Well, Trocheck has been great as our 2c (7 points in 5 games) so I don't think you mess with that. Obviously our 1c is Ziby. That means you'd put Kakko at 3c instead of his natural 3rw where he currently is. I don't see the sense of that since we aren't deep on RW as it is. Personally, id have left Kakko in the 1st line since technically, his presence isn't hurting the team metrics wise. Results league for sure but we are getting results already and I'd like to give Kakko the highest chance of success. 

Learning a new position isn't the best idea during a season for a struggling kid on a team that overall is actually still learning a entirely new system. That's just my take. 

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Well, Trocheck has been great as our 2c (7 points in 5 games) so I don't think you mess with that. Obviously our 1c is Ziby. That means you'd put Kakko at 3c instead of his natural 3rw where he currently is. I don't see the sense of that since we aren't deep on RW as it is. Personally, id have left Kakko in the 1st line since technically, his presence isn't hurting the team metrics wise. Results league for sure but we are getting results already and I'd like to give Kakko the highest chance of success. 

Learning a new position isn't the best idea during a season for a struggling kid on a team that overall is actually still learning a entirely new system. That's just my take. 

Line 1 was not scoring goals at 5v5.  A change had to be made to fix that.

I'd probably have split up the bromance and promoted Cuylle to line 1 and given it a few games to see if Kakko or Zibanejad woke up.

However there's probably an equal argument at this point for moving Zibanejad to line 3 for a bit.  there's no Center to replace him on line 1 so that won't happen.

22 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Line 1 was not scoring goals at 5v5.  A change had to be made to fix that.

I'd probably have split up the bromance and promoted Cuylle to line 1 and given it a few games to see if Kakko or Zibanejad woke up.

However there's probably an equal argument at this point for moving Zibanejad to line 3 for a bit.  there's no Center to replace him on line 1 so that won't happen.

I don't necessarily agree with any of that. Yes they weren't scoring goals at 5 v 5 but that's changing it up for changes sake.  They are winning. Hell, they won with Louis Domigue in goal.  There's no rush to change everything up just becuase one stat isn't perfect along the way. Are you worried Zibanejad isn't a 1c anymore?  It's a long season.