• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Paying Attention to Patrick Kane; Sike! No, They Aren't

Phil

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Buffalo makes the most sense. They've always made the most sense. I'm also not holding my breath on how long he has left. Jovanovski lasted the longest at 37 games post surgery.

Buffalo just lost Tage Thompson for what looks to be a significant amount of time. I’m not sure they’re going to be competitive without him.

My worst case scenario would be him going to Carolina.

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Buffalo just lost Tage Thompson for what looks to be a significant amount of time. I’m not sure they’re going to be competitive without him.

My worst case scenario would be him going to Carolina.

I don't think he's going to last or be very effective anywhere he goes. No one has ever come back from this. Jovanovski lasted the longest at 37 days before the Panthers opted to pull the plug.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I don't think he's going to last or be very effective anywhere he goes. No one has ever come back from this. Jovanovski lasted the longest at 37 days before the Panthers opted to pull the plug.

The Panthers opted to pull the plug because of his cap hit and he was 39 turning 40.

Every athlete is different. Why can't we just hope he's the first successful recovery and wish him well?

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Panthers opted to pull the plug because of his cap hit and he was 39 turning 40.

Every athlete is different. Why can't we just hope he's the first successful recovery and wish him well?

We can. I just don't want the Rangers to risk it. I hope for Kane's sake he bucks the trend.

You know me — I'll never root for any athlete's early retirement. Hold on and play as long as you possibly can. Just not here.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

We can. I just don't want the Rangers to risk it. I hope for Kane's sake he bucks the trend.

You know me — I'll never root for any athlete's early retirement. Hold on and play as long as you possibly can. Just not here.

So let's reframe, when is the last time a player tried to come back from this at the League minimum? Because every other player got forced out by the cap. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

So let's reframe, when is the last time a player tried to come back from this at the League minimum? Because every other player got forced out by the cap. 

That's not true. It wasn't true for Jovo, either. He returned in January, made it 37 games, and the Panther shut him down. He had every intention of finishing his contract. It had nothing to do with the cap. Same goes for Backstrom, Kesler, and others. Every team who's player has undergone this has welcomed the players back. The surgery is just a career-ender, sadly.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

That's not true. It wasn't true for Jovo, either. He returned in January, made it 37 games, and the Panther shut him down. He had every intention of finishing his contract. It had nothing to do with the cap. Same goes for Backstrom, Kesler, and others. Every team who's player has undergone this has welcomed the players back. The surgery is just a career-ender, sadly.

Jovo was bought out. That's Cap.

Backstrom makes 6M.

Kelser had money left.

I'll ask again, who was on league minimum? 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Jovo was bought out. That's Cap.

Backstrom makes 6M.

Kelser had money left.

I'll ask again, who was on league minimum? 

No one. But in almost every case, the cap was a non-factor in the decision. The orgs encouraged the players to return. Jovo was the only one who it kind of applied to because he was bought out at the end of that final season. But the call wasn't made purely for financial reasons, it was because the team recognized he couldn't play the game anymore. It's why no one signed him the following season and why he sat the entire year before announcing his retirement.

Backstrom, Kesler, and Hagelin all had it done. Hagelin also had major eye surgery, which complicates his case, but all these players were welcomed back and encouraged to return. They just can't do it.

Like I said, I hope for Kane that he can buck the trend, but it doesn't bode well when the most any player has ever made it back is 37 games. WWE's Undertaker also had the procedure done and went from a perpetual headliner to someone who performed exactly twice a year after.

It's a career-killing surgery.

It's hard to play in pain and with reduced flexibility and that's what the hip-shaving winds up doing to you when you push the hip afterwards.

This BTW is well-known.  You will not find any orthopedic surgeons recommending contact sports after the surgery.  In fact you won't find any recommending non-contact sports except with limitations.  E.g. you can swim but please no breaststroke or butterfly because both are very tough on the hip.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

It's a career-killing surgery

Yes when it happens to a 39 year old, a one eyed man, and a player who also needed his other hip done. There's not nearly enough data to support this statement. 

There's nothing else wrong with Kane. Even if he comes back to be a 50 point player... That's better than a lot of other NHLers and surely a middle 6 contributor. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yes when it happens to a 39 year old, a one eyed man, and a player who also needed his other hip done. There's not nearly enough data to support this statement. 

There's nothing else wrong with Kane. Even if he comes back to be a 50 point player... That's better than a lot of other NHLers and surely a middle 6 contributor. 

Better than Kappo kakko 

8 hours ago, Pete said:

He is (was) a great American born player and by all accounts a good human being. I wish him well and hope he bounces back, just not on the Rangers and not in our division. I think last year it really destroyed the chemistry when he came in. There wasnt a round hole for the round peg. His game is more of what we were overdosing on (finesse etc.).

I think we have what we need to get to the dance, just hope we have the speed and grit to make a move when we get there. If we add anything I personally hope its a young speedy player who likes to bang and w no quit in his game.

8 minutes ago, Dem said:

He is (was) a great American born player and by all accounts a good human being. I wish him well and hope he bounces back, just not on the Rangers and not in our division. I think last year it really destroyed the chemistry when he came in. There wasnt a round hole for the round peg. His game is more of what we were overdosing on (finesse etc.).

I think we have what we need to get to the dance, just hope we have the speed and grit to make a move when we get there. If we add anything I personally hope its a young speedy player who likes to bang and w no quit in his game.

Will Cuylle is waving at you from the bench......

• Applause 1