• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Interactive Power Rankings

BrooksBurner

I don't think there's any question that Panarin and Kreider are the top 2 players based on production and consistent performance thus far. Would I expect it to stay that way? No, probably not, but it seems pretty clear cut for now. After that, you can make a case for several players. I can look at 3 through 8 right now and probably make a good argument for any order between them. That's a great problem. In the years past, too frequently I've had to look at the rankings after the top 3 or so through a lens of "who has been worse than who". About the same could be said for the next bracket, 9-13.

This is the most competitive ranking I've seen since posting here. Zibanejad is 8! He deserved to be low, in part because of his play, and in part because guys like Gus and Trocheck have been playing incredible, but he's been excellent the last 5 games and he's still grinding his way back up because other players have also been good.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 1

It's very difficult for me to compare Fs and Ds (and Gs for that matter) when looking at this thread and its list. It's hard for me to weigh the importance of Vesey's huge goals to Trouba's blocks and hits. Same can even be said (for me) when the reverse is taken into consideration: K'Andre Miller's huge goals vs. Bonino's PK abilities. 

Quick being 6-0-1 is absolutely stellar, but when you put it into perspective, he's only played (started) 7 of 21 games. He's only made a difference in a third of the team's games (read: success). How do you rank that?

I think the Ranger's win-loss record puts us into an elite class with Boston, Colorado, Vegas, and Vancouver that may or may not be a mirage.  Boston, Colorado, and Vegas have a stronger track record in recent years than either Vancouver or the Rangers to suggest elite rather than small sample size (20-23 games).  I think we've benefitted from a favorable schedule and some grit to pull out some 50/50-type games, to our credit.

I would expect we will need more production from the Kreider-Zib line - that relying on the power play and the Panarin-Laf line isn't a formula for sustained success.

I'm enjoying Quick's play, but don't expect .930 save percentage 1.99 GAA is sustainable for an entire season.

It's great Fox is back, but injuries to Kakko, Chytil affect our lineup and give other players an opportunity to step up.

I won't be terribly surprised or worried if we have a 3 or 4 game losing streak soon, but hope we can continue to pile up the points in the standings.

1 hour ago, fletch said:

I won't be terribly surprised or worried if we have a 3 or 4 game losing streak soon, but hope we can continue to pile up the points in the standings.

I'm going to be surprised if we see a two game losing stream any time soon.

The Rangers are getting a bit lucky in terms of first goals and we're getting a bit lucky in terms of third period comebacks.  However all the lines are playing to their potential at this point in the roles they are used in and that's the first time this season that has been true.

Until the last half dozen games or so this team was living off of the production of the PP, line 1a and the defense being willing to take shots.  Now line 1 has woken up and line 4 is on a heater thanks to Vesey and everything looks better.

Guess I'll have a stab at this with my weak ass talent evaluation skill

1. Artemi Panarin

2. Chris Kreider 

3. Igor Shesterkin

4. Vincent Trocheck

5. Alexis Lafrenière 

6. Jacob Trouba

7. Mika Zibanejad

8. Ryan Lindgren

9. Erik Gustafsson 

10. Adam Fox (gonna be moving up fast)

11. Jonathan Quick

12. K'Andre Miller

13. Jimmy Vesey

14. Will Cuylle

15. Blake Wheeler 

16. Barclay Goodrow

17. Braden Schneider

18. Nick Bonino   

19. Tyler Pitlick

20. Jonny Brodzinski

1. Chris Kreider

2. Artemi Panarin

3. Adam Fox

4. Igor Shesterkin

5. Vincent Trocheck+2

6. Jacob Trouba 

7. Alexis Lafrenière

8. Mika Zibanejad

9. Erik Gustafsson

10. Ryan Lindgren

11. K'Andre Miller

12. Jimmy Vesey

13. Jonathan Quick

14. Will Cuylle

15. Blake Wheeler

16. Barclay Goodrow

17. Nick Bonino

18. Braden Schneider 

19. Zac Jones

20. Tyler Pitlick

21. Jonny Brodzinski

That was possibly Tro’s best game as a Ranger

• Keeps it 100 1

1. Chris Kreider

2. Artemi Panarin

3. Adam Fox

4. Igor Shesterkin

5. Vincent Trocheck

6. Jacob Trouba 

7. Alexis Lafrenière

8. Mika Zibanejad

9. Erik Gustafsson

10. Ryan Lindgren

11. K'Andre Miller

12. Jimmy Vesey

13. Jonathan Quick

14. Will Cuylle

15. Blake Wheeler

16. Barclay Goodrow

17. Nick Bonino

18. Braden Schneider 

19. Jonny Brodzinski +2

20. Zac Jones

21. Tyler Pitlick

1. Artemi Panarin +1

2. Adam Fox 

3. Chris Kreider -1

4. Igor Shesterkin

5. Vincent Trocheck

6. Jacob Trouba 

7. Alexis Lafrenière

8. Mika Zibanejad

9. Erik Gustafsson

10. Ryan Lindgren

11. K'Andre Miller

12. Jimmy Vesey

13. Jonathan Quick

14. Will Cuylle

15. Blake Wheeler

16. Barclay Goodrow

17. Nick Bonino

18. Braden Schneider 

19. Jonny Brodzinski

20. Zac Jones

21. Tyler Pitlick

--

Watched the first and the second and heard part of the third on the radio as I was driving to the rink. Maloney was not kind to Kreider. Said he was gliding around all night with one hand on the stick.

The return of Chris Glider.

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Pete said:

1. Artemi Panarin +1

2. Adam Fox 

3. Chris Kreider -1

4. Igor Shesterkin

5. Vincent Trocheck

6. Jacob Trouba 

7. Alexis Lafrenière

8. Mika Zibanejad

9. Erik Gustafsson

10. Ryan Lindgren

11. K'Andre Miller

12. Jimmy Vesey

13. Jonathan Quick

14. Will Cuylle

15. Blake Wheeler

16. Barclay Goodrow

17. Nick Bonino

18. Braden Schneider 

19. Jonny Brodzinski

20. Zac Jones

21. Tyler Pitlick

--

Watched the first and the second and heard part of the third on the radio as I was driving to the rink. Maloney was not kind to Kreider. Said he was gliding around all night with one hand on the stick.

You and Maloney should get your eyes checked. Kreider's screen was why Panarin scored goal #1, and his great pass set up Zib's goal. 

• JIMMY! 1

6 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

You and Maloney should get your eyes checked. Kreider's screen was why Panarin scored goal #1, and his great pass set up Zib's goal. 

What does that have to do with him skating around with one hand on a stick the rest of the game?

Bread's first goal went off of somebody's foot and it wasn't Kreider's. There were about 4 guys there. 

The Rangers scored 6 goals and Kreider recorded 0 shots on goal. Zero shots. Top line left wing. Zero shots on goal. Also recorded 0 hits. 6-3, 225... Zero hits.

He had a bad game and I moved him down one. Bread had a fantastic game and I moved him up one. Get over it. 

Edited by Pete

1. Artemi Panarin

2. Adam Fox 

3. Chris Kreider

4. Igor Shesterkin

5. Vincent Trocheck

6. Jacob Trouba 

7. Alexis Lafrenière

8. Mika Zibanejad

9. Ryan Lindgren

10. Erik Gustafsson -1

11. K'Andre Miller

12. Jimmy Vesey

13. Jonathan Quick

14. Will Cuylle

15. Blake Wheeler

16. Barclay Goodrow

17. Nick Bonino

18. Braden Schneider 

19. Jonny Brodzinski

20. Tyler Pitlick

21. Zac Jones -1

--

Housekeeping for cooling off.

12 hours ago, Pete said:

You've waited two years for an opportunity to say this. How'd it feel?

1. Artemi Panarin

2. Chris Kreider 

3. Adam Fox -1

4. Vincent Trocheck +1

5. Igor Shesterkin

6. Jacob Trouba 

7. Alexis Lafrenière

8. Mika Zibanejad

9. Erik Gustafsson

10. Ryan Lindgren

11. K'Andre Miller

12. Jimmy Vesey

13. Jonathan Quick

14. Will Cuylle

15. Blake Wheeler

16. Barclay Goodrow

17. Nick Bonino

18. Braden Schneider 

19. Jonny Brodzinski

20. Zac Jones

21. Tyler Pitlick

Fox (who's played 13 of 23 games) does not deserve to be #2. He's been good, but nothing more than usual Fox. The team won almost all the games without him.

Shesterkin with 2.58 GAA and .916 save% is also below expectations for him, so don't see why he's ranked that high. Trocheck has had a great season so far and deserves to be over Igor.

• Keeps it 100 1

Lots of talent on the team right now.  I would flop Trouba and Fox because I think Trouba has clearly been the Rangers best D this season.  There's a pretty good argument the MVP race on the team is between Panarin and him.

12 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

You know he’s still pacing 50 goals and 80 points right?

And wasn't great last night and I moved him down, what's your point?

Panarin's been on pace for over 100 points and was 3rd.

Maybe we need to bring back the pool where we don't whine about other people's moves, you just make your own. 

Edited by Pete

I wonder what a "Bang-for-the Buck" ranking would like like?

That would be the ranking where you take a player's cap number into account alongside their contributions to figure out where they stood in terms of the team's success.

That would lower players like Trouba in the rankings and raise players like Vesey.

The question is at what point does irreplaceability outweigh absolute cost?

For instance, you cannot replace the level of contribution that Panarin is making right now whereas you can probably find a half dozen players in the NHL to make a similar contribution to Vesey at the same TOI and cap number.

Is there an influencer/author for the NHL who is similar to what Bill James did for baseball in the 80's?  Not just a statistician but a guy who explains well and entertains in the process?

1. Artemi Panarin

2. Chris Kreider 

3. Adam Fox

4. Vincent Trocheck

5. Jacob Trouba 

6. Alexis Lafrenière

7. Igor Shesterkin -2

8. Mika Zibanejad

9. Erik Gustafsson

10. Ryan Lindgren

11. K'Andre Miller

12. Jimmy Vesey

13. Jonathan Quick

14. Will Cuylle

15. Blake Wheeler

16. Barclay Goodrow

17. Nick Bonino

18. Braden Schneider 

19. Jonny Brodzinski

20. Zac Jones

21. Tyler Pitlick

Average goalie this year.

22 minutes ago, Br4d said:

If Shesty doesn't watch it he will drop to #2 on the all-time saves percentage leaders with at least 100 starts.

I know you're being facetious, but he'll drop a lot further than that if he doesn't correct his career course (disclaimer: I think he will, so I'm not worried). He's currently establishing a downtrend though after the decline from Vezina to last year's numbers, to a further decline so far this year. This year features a team that is playing a bit better defensively than in years past too, so there's not much excuse. Outplayed by Jonathan Quick.

Shesty's primary problem this year is that he's no longer making the majority of unconscious stops from point-blank range by unmolested shooters.

He still makes a great save here and there but we were spoiled by him making all the stops for a couple of years and so when the Rangers leave a wide-open shooter 12 feet from him we expect it to be a save and of course at that range it's a 50/50 thing for even great goalies.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Shesty's primary problem this year is that he's no longer making the majority of unconscious stops from point-blank range by unmolested shooters.

He still makes a great save here and there but we were spoiled by him making all the stops for a couple of years and so when the Rangers leave a wide-open shooter 12 feet from him we expect it to be a save and of course at that range it's a 50/50 thing for even great goalies.

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

• LOL 1

She's-twerkin is fine.  The problem is he set the bar as being the greatest goalie on the planet and when he isn't (currently) everyone is disappointed in his play.  He was money last year's playoffs and the year before after he started shaky.  Not worried about him at all.  If he's the biggest worry (nowhere near) then we are more than fine.

• Bullseye 1