• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-sign Alexis Lafreniere to 2-year, $4.65m Contract; $2.325m AAV

LindG1000

8 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Gotta love it. Roster is set. New coach in. Run it back. We got the team, leadership and whole coaching staff. Expectations are and should be sky high!!! Who is ready for this ride?!? Sign me up. I'm pumped!!

Maybe Patrick Kane back in November/December too!

My actual take on this is that I assume the laf camp were the hold up and hoped for an offer sheet. I don’t see any other reason it took a couple of months to settle on almost exactly what most of us were saying a year ago. 

I just hope this really motivates him. He has two years now to show he’s worth more than a 13 TOI type player

37 minutes ago, Keirik said:

My actual take on this is that I assume the laf camp were the hold up and hoped for an offer sheet. I don’t see any other reason it took a couple of months to settle on almost exactly what most of us were saying a year ago. 

I just hope this really motivates him. He has two years now to show he’s worth more than a 13 TOI type player

What are some other theories as to why this would take this long? He can't think he's worth more, does anything else come to mind?

Just now, phillyb said:

What are some other theories as to why this would take this long? He can't think he's worth more, does anything else come to mind?

Maybe the Rangers were trying to unload some salary (Goodrow) to give Lafrenière a little more and it never shook out. 

I honestly think it's more likely in line with the scenario @Keirik just suggested. 

I figured on that a year ago. Lafrenières camp was probably thinking of quite a bit more money too. But, with no offersheet and I'm guessing small amount of interest from around the league, they figured it'd be best to sign and figure out his future as the season moves on. 

I always thought this player and team relationship was going to end poorly. I wouldn't be surprised if Lafrenière is (or has been) on the trade block or is seeking a trade. I don't think Laviolette is going to like Lafrenières tendencies and Lafs camp knows this. I don't think he lasts the season. 

All my own speculation. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Keirik said:

One*

They're not gonna sit around and wait for him to completely die on the vine.

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

One*

They're not gonna sit around and wait for him to completely die on the vine.

Yeah, true possibly but if he puts up anything north of what he did last year, I could see the, buying the fools gold. I guess if he went with a ho hum 47 point season you hope another team buys into it. 

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Maybe the Rangers were trying to unload some salary (Goodrow) to give Lafrenière a little more and it never shook out. 

I honestly think it's more likely in line with the scenario @Keirik just suggested. 

I figured on that a year ago. Lafrenières camp was probably thinking of quite a bit more money too. But, with no offersheet and I'm guessing small amount of interest from around the league, they figured it'd be best to sign and figure out his future as the season moves on. 

I always thought this player and team relationship was going to end poorly. I wouldn't be surprised if Lafrenière is (or has been) on the trade block or is seeking a trade. I don't think Laviolette is going to like Lafrenières tendencies and Lafs camp knows this. I don't think he lasts the season. 

All my own speculation. 

I know that I was in the camp of no team really offer sheeti g him and he would end up with this basic contract. I think we all really don’t understand just how strong of a collusion most teams have in this league to not upset the apple cart too much. They still are a rarity and to be honest, LAF was near the perfect candidate for an offer sheet that the Rangers couldn’t match but didn’t get a boat load of picks from. 

• TroCheckmark 1

29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

All my own speculation. 

I actually agree that Lafreniere is a short timer with the Rangers.  I think he just doesn't want to be here and in the end that always winds up with the player moving on.

7 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I know that I was in the camp of no team really offer sheeti g him and he would end up with this basic contract. I think we all really don’t understand just how strong of a collusion most teams have in this league to not upset the apple cart too much. They still are a rarity and to be honest, LAF was near the perfect candidate for an offer sheet that the Rangers couldn’t match but didn’t get a boat load of picks from. 

Offer sheets and RFA in general are a sham that the CBA promotes because the players want to protect veteran players and want to keep kids on ELC's from getting totally dicked around.  21-25 is the price non-superstars pay to make both of those things happen.