• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-sign Alexis Lafreniere to 2-year, $4.65m Contract; $2.325m AAV

LindG1000

10 hours ago, Br4d said:

I actually agree that Lafreniere is a short timer with the Rangers.  I think he just doesn't want to be here and in the end that always winds up with the player moving on.

Kind of a depressing thought, but you're probably right. Yeah, I do think it took this long because they were trying to move a player or two and it just didn't happen. Actually, it could have been both that and coming to an agreement on terms as well.

You guys are way off base....here's what really happened:

There was an All-you-can-eat buffet last month at a popular restaurant downtown last month.  Fatass was the first online as usual, and got a seat way in the back.  He actually ate so much that it took a "Jaws of Life" an entire month and a half to pry him out of his fucking booth.

It took a lot of time and caution just to not disrupt the foundation of the building, in fear that if Chunky ass tipped the building that it would damage the foundation of the entire island of Manhattan.

I'm glad to say he was finally extricated safely, and his chubby little fist is now able to grab a pen without thinking it's a Latte stirrer and sign a contract.  It was also noted that on the way to signing his new deal, Laff stopped off for his annual weigh it.  Suffice it to say that when he stepped off the scale, the fortune came out and said "ONE AT A TIME PLEASE!"

I know this to be the factual real story on why this took so long. 

Also got an inside shot of Laff doing his off season workout...see below:

fat guy GIF

Edited by Ozzy
  • LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • ALEXIS! 1

16 hours ago, Keirik said:

My actual take on this is that I assume the laf camp were the hold up and hoped for an offer sheet. I don’t see any other reason it took a couple of months to settle on almost exactly what most of us were saying a year ago. 

I just hope this really motivates him. He has two years now to show he’s worth more than a 13 TOI type player

If that’s the case then I hope he has a monster year and we trade him before he becomes a UFA

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Lots of interesting quotes from Friedman about Laugh and his Rangers' future here:

The big takeaway is this one:

"This is a two-year deal but it's a one-year deal in New York, and then we'll see."

I’m still not 100% sold on it being a one year with us. He’s still RFA at the end of this contract so that gives the NYR leverage still even when this is done. He’s just as tradeable mid 24/25 as he is at any other time. He still so young at this point and would be 23 going into his last rfa year. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m still not 100% sold on it being a one year with us. He’s still RFA at the end of this contract so that gives the NYR leverage still even when this is done. He’s just as tradeable mid 24/25 as he is at any other time. He still so young at this point and would be 23 going into his last rfa year. 

Agree. They aren’t punting him if he’s a 45-50 point player without legitimate PP work. A 45-50 point player without that is pretty easily a 60-65 point player with it. It’s a different story if he posts 30-35 and loses ice time because he’s not good enough.

Edited by BrooksBurner

42 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agree. They aren’t punting him if he’s a 45-50 point player without legitimate PP work. A 45-50 point player without that is pretty easily a 60-65 point player with it. It’s a different story if he posts 30-35 and loses ice time because he’s not good enough.

I mean, I can't speak for Friedman, but my guess is he's assuming a repeat year. In other words, the latter of your scenario. If he finishes the year with like 17 goals and 38 points, I could absolutely see them pulling the chute. It's also complete speculation on my part, but my guess is that this is more coming from the Laugh camp than it is NYR. I think Laugh is thinking/preparing for wanting out because his path is so rocky here. My guess is that was part of the long delay in signing this deal. His agent was probably hoping for an offer sheet or trade that never manifested.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You guys are way off base....here's what really happened:

There was an All-you-can-eat buffet last month at a popular restaurant downtown last month.  Fatass was the first online as usual, and got a seat way in the back.  He actually ate so much that it took a "Jaws of Life" an entire month and a half to pry him out of his fucking booth.

It took a lot of time and caution just to not disrupt the foundation of the building, in fear that if Chunky ass tipped the building that it would damage the foundation of the entire island of Manhattan.

I'm glad to say he was finally extricated safely, and his chubby little fist is now able to grab a pen without thinking it's a Latte stirrer and sign a contract.  It was also noted that on the way to signing his new deal, Laff stopped off for his annual weigh it.  Suffice it to say that when he stepped off the scale, the fortune came out and said "ONE AT A TIME PLEASE!"

I know this to be the factual real story on why this took so long. 

Also got an inside shot of Laff doing his off season workout...see below:

fat guy GIF

Bro, you were seen at the restaurant too.  

talking young jeezy GIF

4 hours ago, Phil said:

I think Laugh is thinking/preparing for wanting out because his path is so rocky here. My guess is that was part of the long delay in signing this deal. His agent was probably hoping for an offer sheet or trade that never manifested.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't see this as the ideal opportunity.  The question is whether he ever did.

The Rangers blocked him from giving interviews in French early on.  That's a quick way to make a guy feel like he wants to go home.

42 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers blocked him from giving interviews in French early on.  That's a quick way to make a guy feel like he wants to go home.

Well, he speaks English perfectly, why give it in French?

Do you see how many athletes have to clarify comments given to their native press in their native language? Pretty smart IMO to keep it all in English.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

I mean, I can't speak for Friedman, but my guess is he's assuming a repeat year. In other words, the latter of your scenario. If he finishes the year with like 17 goals and 38 points, I could absolutely see them pulling the chute. It's also complete speculation on my part, but my guess is that this is more coming from the Laugh camp than it is NYR. I think Laugh is thinking/preparing for wanting out because his path is so rocky here. My guess is that was part of the long delay in signing this deal. His agent was probably hoping for an offer sheet or trade that never manifested.

I am not sure what pulling the chute involves. 

Getting a high second round draft pick(or other change of scenery prospect) which is kind of what he is worth right now vs. what they got for Kravtsov which was a little more than a bag of used pucks. A high 2nd round draft pick isn't worth that much much more than used pucks.

I say let it ride for 2 years.

#sunkcost  

Edited by MuddyInTheMiddle

6 hours ago, Phil said:

It’s tough though. Here is why I don’t think he would go anywhere though, barring a huge overpayment.

Let’s say he does score 17 goals and 30 points. First, that’s still a good amount of production for that salary. You aren’t getting a 40 point player for under 3m or would at least be hard pressed to. Second, if he had a repeat of the same season he is at a sell low commodity. Outside of some team overpaying because they see something we all don’t, I’m not sure he goes anywhere. He certainly wouldn’t for peanuts. 

I actually think the only way it’s possible for him to leave is if he puts up a decent bump up from last year in a situation where the Rangers believe it was more smoke and mirrors rather than an upward trend. Think 25 goals, 30 assists. Something that’s a decent improvement but isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire. That’s when his pedigree kicks in for value as other GMs think he’s just on the verge. It would be on our management to decide if it’s 18 carats or cubic zirconium. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

Well, he speaks English perfectly, why give it in French?

Do you see how many athletes have to clarify comments given to their native press in their native language? Pretty smart IMO to keep it all in English.

No, it's not smart.  The Rangers didn't do that for the players who were asked questions in Russian or Swedish or any other language.  Just to Lafreniere when reporters or interviewers wanted to ask questions in French.

Give it up Pete.  I know you always want the last word but you're just wrong here.

Yeah, sorry, it’s not just Pete. It’s absurd to me to insinuate that Lafreniere would be a flight risk because he doesn’t get to answer questions in French for locker room interviews.

You’re telling me that outweighs all of the positives that being in the Rangers organization provide him? Does he seem at all like a depressive? 

You’re looking for controversy where there is none. I guarantee that fans want Lafreniere moved elsewhere more than he personally does. He’s comfortable. Too comfortable.

• ALEXIS! 1
  • Applause 1

Weird and inconsistent? Sure. A reason for him to want out? Absolutely not.

It’s just something to fit the narrative that he “doesn’t want to be here” when there’s literally nothing to support that narrative.

Might as well come up with fake grievances. Lafreniere doesn’t like NYC tap water! Lafreniere is afraid of the costumed foreigners in Times Square! Lafreniere is confused that they don’t speak French at Au Bon Pain!

11 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Weird and inconsistent? Sure. A reason for him to want out? Absolutely not.

It’s just something to fit the narrative that he “doesn’t want to be here” when there’s literally nothing to support that narrative.

Might as well come up with fake grievances. Lafreniere doesn’t like NYC tap water! Lafreniere is afraid of the costumed foreigners in Times Square! Lafreniere is confused that they don’t speak French at Au Bon Pain!

There's not enough Tim Horton locations in NY.  It's the obvious reason Donut Hole wants out.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

No, it's not smart.  The Rangers didn't do that for the players who were asked questions in Russian or Swedish or any other language.  Just to Lafreniere when reporters or interviewers wanted to ask questions in French.

Give it up Pete.  I know you always want the last word but you're just wrong here.

What am I wrong about?

You realize you're speculating that he's angry over not being able to give an interview in French two years ago with absolutely nothing to back that up, and positioning it as fact. And yet this is the first time you brought it up after 3 years of debate over this guy.

You are literally fabricating scenarios and then falling on your sword to defend it.

And it's not the first time you posted other speculation and treated it as fact. You've completely made up things like Panarin poisoning the locker room, insubordination from the players, etc. None of it has a shred of evidence to back it up.

Maybe the players who were giving interviews in their native languages didn't have as good a grasp on English as Laf does. And it really doesn't matter whether or not you think it's a good idea, you still have no evidence that the player is pissed off by that. You are making it up and treating it as if it happened.