• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft RW Gabriel Perreault in 1st Round (23rd Pick)

Drew a Penalty

56 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

His scouting report gives me Panarin-lite vibes tbh

Yeah I mentioned it in the other thread. Sounds like a Panarin that likes to shoot a bit more.

The high level dekes, elite vision and playmaking, sometimes the last man back in the D-zone, but still knows what to do when he's there, smaller size and average skating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Considering the Rangers didn't have a ton of picks going in to the draft, I thought they made out quite well overall. Getting this guy alone, especially at 23, gets Drury a draft win in my book.

From what I was reading, this guy was supposedly a late Top 10 pick.

https://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1&sort=finalRank&year=2023

On 6/28/2023 at 11:43 PM, BrooksBurner said:

From the tape I've seen already, I don't see the skating as a big problem. He's not as polished of a skater as a guy like Will Smith and that's evident by the tape, but I think they've missed the mark a bit on where Perreault's skating is at.

The absolute sell job of shot before the pass on the first play of this video is excellent. He seemed to know where he wanted to go with that puck before he even got it. Enough speed at 35 seconds - not blazing by any stretch of the imagination, but enough. Good awareness and play anticipation to crash the net at 1:32. Great hands in tight, high skill play at 1:45. Good cut and penetration to middle of ice and finding the trailer for the goal at 2:40.

As always, a highlight tape can make a lot of shit players look good, but I see enough here to be reasonably excited about the pick.

God these goalies suck. 

The little I have seen video wise the kid looks tenacious. If so excellent sign. Worming your ass off makes up for a fair amount of sin as far as ability. Hopefully he has this trait and its not just on highlight reels. Promising!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If you're looking for something to kill time until the Jets' weekly abomination, Perreault in action on NHLN right now in a Canada/USA "friendly" exhibition before the WJC (starts 12/26). 1-1, early 2nd. 

Edited by Bugg

Perreault scored the game-saving shootout goal last night in a game we won in the second shootout round against Czechia.

The US coaches had him shooting 5th in a 5 shot rotation and he hit the shot with us down 1-0 and then Czechia missed shot 5.

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Now he just needs to learn to skate and he'll be OK. 

100% on this.  He skates like a slow, awkward Gretzky.  Kind of slithery, lots of hips and shoulders and no push at all in open ice.

The USA coaching staff obviously thinks he is very talented otherwise.  He's on PP1 and he was in the 5 slot on the shootout.

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

100% on this.  He skates like a slow, awkward Gretzky.  Kind of slithery, lots of hips and shoulders and no push at all in open ice.

The USA coaching staff obviously thinks he is very talented otherwise.  He's on PP1 and he was in the 5 slot on the shootout.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

• LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

This kid seems to be successful at each level he plays. When do we expect to see him with the Pack?

Maybe two years or so. I'd like for him to play through his junior season because he needs the time to build up muscle and work on his skating. Not sure if he or the team agree there, but he should be back at BC next year at the very least with a chance for a WJC Gold repeat.

• Bullseye 1

• 3 months later...