• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft RW Gabriel Perreault in 1st Round (23rd Pick)

Drew a Penalty

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Big point there!

I'm learning how to be patient as a fan, which is never easy...especially in the wake of what we've experienced up here with Laff and Kakko just recently.  But I like where we're headed!  All those names listed will also most likely get a boost with new UFA signings, and whatnot!

I think we're going to be in pretty good shape going forward.  The future looks pretty good, and a lot of these guys are getting some really valuable playoff experince at such a young age!

Agreed on the patience aspect. It's incredibly hard to watch other teams get number one and number two picks who immediately come in and make an impact. But Lafreniere's draft class especially has taken some time to come into their own.

For example I'm much more patient with Miller and Schneider as late first round picks, and even Othmann. I don't think there's anything wrong with high expectations from top three picks, because what else have we known over the past decade? 

Turns out these guys need a lot more seasoning for various reasons. I'm in no rush to move any of them. 

• Keeps it 100 1

I think part of the problem for Ranger fans (myself included) is that we dont ever get to draft high and see those guys turn into stars so its all uncharted territory for us.

Its also such a typically Rangers thing to have those high picks either be rushed or be busts which doubly makes us desperate.

I love that they havent rushed Othmann.. especially since seemingly theres no spot for him. I feel like in the past they would have put him on the 4th line or something.

Edited by siddious
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, siddious said:

I think part of the problem for Ranger fans (myself included) is that we dont ever get to draft high and see those guys turn into stars so its all uncharted territory for us.

Its also such a typically Rangers thing to have those high picks either be rushed or be busts which doubly makes us desperate.

I love that they havent rushed Othmann.. especially since seemingly theres no spot for him. I feel like in the past they would have put him on the 4th line or something.

I think that's part of it. I'd add a few things:

1- Not all first-round picks are equal, and we're not calibrated that way as fans. Once you hit 10 or so in the draft, success is completely re-defined. Any "playoff team" pick that gives you a middle-of-the-lineup to top 9 players is a hit, anything in the second round that gives you a playable NHLer is a hit, and anything beyond that gives you "NHL Games" is a hit. In case I need to provide context - Alexander Wennberg was 15th overall - and a successful one. For some additional context, our 2020 draft class will go down as our best draft class in literally two decades. I don't even need to wait to say that - we've got a star player, a regular top4 D, a regular mid-line wing, a likely backup goalie, and two bottom 6 wings (assuming Berard cracks a lineup in the next two years). That's a bonkers as fuck draft class.

2 - It is extremely rare that the whole league misses on a guy of Perreault's talent to the point that they fall to 23. It does happen - David Pastrnak comes to mind (oddly enough, because when he was drafted, he was 165 pounds soaking wet), but he's the exception that proves the rule.

3 - We tend to overhype our own, and we tend to be disappointed when we do. So when we finally have a guy worth the hype, we temper expectations and pick apart his flaws.

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I think that's part of it. I'd add a few things:

1- Not all first-round picks are equal, and we're not calibrated that way as fans. Once you hit 10 or so in the draft, success is completely re-defined. Any "playoff team" pick that gives you a middle-of-the-lineup to top 9 players is a hit, anything in the second round that gives you a playable NHLer is a hit, and anything beyond that gives you "NHL Games" is a hit. In case I need to provide context - Alexander Wennberg was 15th overall - and a successful one. For some additional context, our 2020 draft class will go down as our best draft class in literally two decades. I don't even need to wait to say that - we've got a star player, a regular top4 D, a regular mid-line wing, a likely backup goalie, and two bottom 6 wings (assuming Berard cracks a lineup in the next two years). That's a bonkers as fuck draft class.

2 - It is extremely rare that the whole league misses on a guy of Perreault's talent to the point that they fall to 23. It does happen - David Pastrnak comes to mind (oddly enough, because when he was drafted, he was 165 pounds soaking wet), but he's the exception that proves the rule.

3 - We tend to overhype our own, and we tend to be disappointed when we do. So when we finally have a guy worth the hype, we temper expectations and pick apart his flaws.

Agreed on all fronts.

2) I don’t get it. I’m no expert but watching Perrault 5-10 times since we drafted him and the guy looks fantastic (at that level). Chiclets was alluding to possibly will smith and Ryan Leonard signing with their nhl teams this off season and I think that would be interesting.. seeing Perrault without those two guys and how he performs.  I think they should would float.

3) yes and no. You can praise laf and kakko all you want and put the blame on the fans for expecting too much but you also would like to see more out of top 2 picks. Both things can and in fact are true me thinks. With that said I still have hope kakko can turn into a top 6 guy.

Edited by siddious
  • Believe 1

Looking forward to 2026.  Perreault on RW with Laf on LW playing the Panarin role for him.  Panarin on line 2 with Zib with Kreider in front of the net playing the same flexible wing thing that Panarin and Laf have going on now.

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

Looking forward to 2026.  Perreault on RW with Laf on LW playing the Panarin role for him.  Panarin on line 2 with Zib with Kreider in front of the net playing the same flexible wing thing that Panarin and Laf have going on now.

Panarin's deal ends in the 25/26 season, or this summer—depending on his playoff.

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

Panarin's deal ends in the 25/26 season, or this summer—depending on his playoff.

If Panarin is still scoring goals at an accelerated pace he's going to get re-signed.

37 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Perreault should play with Zib to handle the puck carrying and distributing so Zib can get back to shooting.

Ain't no rookie getting to carry the puck on Zib's line.  We've been through this at least once before.

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

If Panarin is still scoring goals at an accelerated pace he's going to get re-signed.

It's two seasons away so there's no way to say what will happen, but you can't count on it. He might not even want to play here. He might want to go to Florida.

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's two seasons away so there's no way to say what will happen, but you can't count on it. He might not even want to play here. He might want to go to Florida.

Don't we all..... Well maybe not all but get me the hell outta snow territory.

6 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Don't we all..... Well maybe not all but get me the hell outta snow territory.

Just get me to some weather where I can play golf again!  ...The last 2 balls I hit was when I stepped on a rake on my lawn in October!

• LMFAO 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Greenwich, CT.  No place like it in Florida.

Also, Manhattan and Brooklyn have some of the best Russian restaurants in the USA.  Not going to find those in Tampa.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Greenwich, CT.  No place like it in Florida.

Also, Manhattan and Brooklyn have some of the best Russian restaurants in the USA.  Not going to find those in Tampa.

I grew up in Brooklyn. I'm aware. It also didn't stop Bobrovsky and Tarasenko from wanting to be in Miami.

Point being, you can't pencil him into the lineup. There's but a 50/50 shot of him re-signing, IMO.

Edited by Pete