• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Devils Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. LGR!

13 hours ago, mbob said:

Icelanders with the fastest 4 goals in playoff history beating the canes. They ticked off the last 3 seconds due fights in this one too. Hope the Canes take the next hate the Isles. 

You have to pinch your nose and hope the Fish Sticks take it to 7.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

Isn't that what happened in 1994 too? Won the first two, mailed it in for 3, the Guarantee, and then Matteau.

Nope. Lost game 1. Then won 2 straight and had a chance to take it back to the Garden 3-1. Instead they didn't show up and lost the next 2, facing elimination in g6 which was the guarantee. 

I don't want to get cute here, but I don't see it happening. A split at the Garden at the worst.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, goondman said:

Anyone else have a nagging fear, that ugly green monster known as first period blah will show up today?

this is a new monster, Goondman!!  Playoff Rangers!!!  Wooooooooo!!!!

Watch the sparks fly tonight, my man!!!

Lindy loses faith in his goalie 2 games into a series??  Wow!   I smell blood in the water!!!

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

32 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

this is a new monster, Goondman!!  Playoff Rangers!!!  Wooooooooo!!!!

Watch the sparks fly tonight, my man!!!

Lindy loses faith in his goalie 2 games into a series??  Wow!   I smell blood in the water!!!

Word, that's what I'm talking about!

• Cheers 1

Here's how I'm rationalizing: it took us going 0-5 on our previously-lethal power play, plus two near-misses by Panarin with 5 minutes left in the game, plus everything else they could throw at us, simply to get two goals instead of one. We outshot them by a wide margin, albeit not quality chances. 

I'm a little annoyed that the killer instinct still seems to be lacking. I was hoping Cup champs like Tarasenko and Kane would've fixed that. But, if that's the best the Devils have, we will still win this series. They barely got away with a win, whereas when we've won we've dominated. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 1

18 hours ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

Here's how I'm rationalizing: it took us going 0-5 on our previously-lethal power play, plus two near-misses by Panarin with 5 minutes left in the game, plus everything else they could throw at us, simply to get two goals instead of one. We outshot them by a wide margin, albeit not quality chances. 

I'm a little annoyed that the killer instinct still seems to be lacking. I was hoping Cup champs like Tarasenko and Kane would've fixed that. But, if that's the best the Devils have, we will still win this series. They barely got away with a win, whereas when we've won we've dominated. 

I hope you're right but I feel like one of these nights they are going to have a good offensive game and put up some goals.  When you do hold them to 1 goal in regulation you need to come a way with a win. 

I wasn't expecting a sweep however, they definitely let the Devils get away with one the other night and gave a young goaltender making his first postseason start a lot of confidence. They had no answers for him. Maybe they were just feeling him out, I don't know. But, when you have a young team like this on the ropes, you can't give them an inch.

Edited by Sharpshooter

I was disappointed (although not surprised) when reading the GDT after game 3 for the posters that expressed the sentiment 'same old Rangers'... that this year's team lacks a desire to put away the Devils as quickly as possible, eased up, and are going to let the Devils back into the series.

The Rangers dominated the Devils for much of the first 3 games of the series.  Game 3 was different in that it was a tight game with few chances generated by either team.  It was a strategic shift by the Devils after getting blown out in the first two games, and the Rangers were willing to play sound, disciplined hockey.  If the Rangers had been more aggressive by activating their defensemen they could have generated more chances in the offensive zone, but would have also given up more odd-man rushes.  I was disappointed by the result but not by the Rangers play or strategy.  If the Rangers got the goal in OT the narrative would be how the Rangers have outclassed the Devils for 3 straight games and it would be a foregone conclusion who was going to win the series.   But with a disappointing result, all the negativity pours out from some elements of the fanbase. 

The Oilers and Kings are 2-2 because of how 3 OT games broke.  It could easily be 3-1 Oilers or 3-1 Kings and the narrative (and relative strength) of each team would be viewed vastly different although the on-ice performance was similar, just with a different player finishing each game.

The Rangers are still on track to win this series in 5 or 6 games.  They are justly favored and should be expected to win Game 4.  Based on how the team has played the first 3 games of the series we should be expecting the Devils to be facing an elimination game in Game 5.   Doesn't mean that the Devils can't win game 4 with some lucky breaks.  But the Rangers have superior goaltending, a superior lineup, a superior power play, and if they play to their potential, should win this game.        

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 3
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, fletch said:

I was disappointed (although not surprised) when reading the GDT after game 3 for the posters that expressed the sentiment 'same old Rangers'... that this year's team lacks a desire to put away the Devils as quickly as possible, eased up, and are going to let the Devils back into the series.

The Rangers dominated the Devils for much of the first 3 games of the series.  Game 3 was different in that it was a tight game with few chances generated by either team.  It was a strategic shift by the Devils after getting blown out in the first two games, and the Rangers were willing to play sound, disciplined hockey.  If the Rangers had been more aggressive by activating their defensemen they could have generated more chances in the offensive zone, but would have also given up more odd-man rushes.  I was disappointed by the result but not by the Rangers play or strategy.  If the Rangers got the goal in OT the narrative would be how the Rangers have outclassed the Devils for 3 straight games and it would be a foregone conclusion who was going to win the series.   But with a disappointing result, all the negativity pours out from some elements of the fanbase. 

The Oilers and Kings are 2-2 because of how 3 OT games broke.  It could easily be 3-1 Oilers or 3-1 Kings and the narrative (and relative strength) of each team would be viewed vastly different although the on-ice performance was similar, just with a different player finishing each game.

The Rangers are still on track to win this series in 5 or 6 games.  They are justly favored and should be expected to win Game 4.  Based on how the team has played the first 3 games of the series we should be expecting the Devils to be facing an elimination game in Game 5.   Doesn't mean that the Devils can't win game 4 with some lucky breaks.  But the Rangers have superior goaltending, a superior lineup, a superior power play, and if they play to their potential, should win this game.        

Bravo @fletch. Truly a great post.

I thought the Rangers looked better than the Devils in G3, but the margin for error in winning or losing was made significantly smaller by the adjustment the Devils made. They tightened up defensively like the Rangers have been playing, rather than simply hoping for the Rangers to allow for a more open game to happen. This inevitably makes games closer where it can come down to a single bounce/call/play/mistake being the difference between winning or losing.

The Rangers should be thankful they were spotted a two game lead before the Devils adjusted. They only need the bounce to go their way two more times, compared to the Devils three more times, if both teams insist on playing the same kind of game as G3. As a younger, more inexperienced team, I suspect the Devils are generally more susceptible to making the crucial mistake even if it didn’t happen to pan out that way in G3.

• VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Bravo @fletch. Truly a great post.

I thought the Rangers looked better than the Devils in G3, but the margin for error in winning or losing was made significantly smaller by the adjustment the Devils made. They tightened up defensively like the Rangers have been playing, rather than simply hoping for the Rangers to allow for a more open game to happen. This inevitably makes games closer where it can come down to a single bounce/call/play/mistake being the difference between winning or losing.

The Rangers should be thankful they were spotted a two game lead before the Devils adjusted. They only need the bounce to go their way two more times, compared to the Devils three more times, if both teams insist on playing the same kind of game as G3. As a younger, more inexperienced team, I suspect the Devils are generally more susceptible to making the crucial mistake even if it didn’t happen to pan out that way in G3.

This what losers say

5 hours ago, fletch said:

Great post Fletch

This team has no killer instinct.

It's a collection of highly skilled guys who go with the flow.  Talent abounds but the only guy on the roster who has any killer in him is Trouba and his is a double-edged sword.

40 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This team has no killer instinct.

It's a collection of highly skilled guys who go with the flow.  Talent abounds but the only guy on the roster who has any killer in him is Trouba and his is a double-edged sword.

This was my concern with quadrupling down on skill and not adding a prick or two. The entire top nine are the same player. They all do the same thing over and over and are incapable of playing any other way. You can't be "hard to play against" if you're easy to defend because the players aren't willing to dump the puck in ... ever.

They're being beaten by a simple 1-2-2 because they refuse to do anything other than high-creative, pass-first hockey and we're all suffering watching them frustratingly try and fail on every rush. Whenever they do get the zone, their game is kept entirely to the walls for 80% of their OZ time and any "chances" they have are extremely low danger.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1