• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Devils Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. LGR!

It's really pathetic. I was pretty against the Kane trade. Not as much as I railed against the MSL trade, but this one definitely fit under the banner of "doing it just because we can." Two years ago we became obsessed with getting tougher. Now for some reason we're back to deciding that throwing enough skill and money at the problem fixes everything. 

I always had the fear of the Kane thing leading up to an epic "LOL Rags" first round exit, which is precisely where this is headed. Just another exceptional embarrassment in a century of them. But beyond that general sense of impending doom that permeates being a fan of this team, I truly believe Kane sunk the season for us. We slumped when we could've been contending for the Metro title with roster hijinks to accommodate adding him. Now we're forcing him into situations he has no business being in. He turned a dynamic, puck moving powerplay into something static, predictable and overly cute. 

He's barely an AHL player. He's slow, passionless, and terrible on defense. And yet we keep trotting him out there. 

Couple that with Gallant getting flatly out-coached ever since Game 2 and it's a recipe for disaster. 

Mike Keenan had the balls to bench Brian Leetch. Gerard Gallant just keeps saying "I like our game." 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

57 minutes ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

It's really pathetic. I was pretty against the Kane trade. Not as much as I railed against the MSL trade, but this one definitely fit under the banner of "doing it just because we can." Two years ago we became obsessed with getting tougher. Now for some reason we're back to deciding that throwing enough skill and money at the problem fixes everything. 

I always had the fear of the Kane thing leading up to an epic "LOL Rags" first round exit, which is precisely where this is headed. Just another exceptional embarrassment in a century of them. But beyond that general sense of impending doom that permeates being a fan of this team, I truly believe Kane sunk the season for us. We slumped when we could've been contending for the Metro title with roster hijinks to accommodate adding him. Now we're forcing him into situations he has no business being in. He turned a dynamic, puck moving powerplay into something static, predictable and overly cute. 

He's barely an AHL player. He's slow, passionless, and terrible on defense. And yet we keep trotting him out there. 

Couple that with Gallant getting flatly out-coached ever since Game 2 and it's a recipe for disaster. 

Mike Keenan had the balls to bench Brian Leetch. Gerard Gallant just keeps saying "I like our game." 

Bench Kane.

If the Rangers didn't go in a PP drought after the first 2 games, this series would have been over in 4 games. Kane having a couple of PP assists in Game 2 was fool's gold and was the worst thing that could have happened. I knew I was right about him not being a fit there, and backed off after that performance. He's 98% useless.

2 minutes ago, Ranger Lothbrok said:

Agree 100%, but he's our darling new player that we brought in to win us a Cup. Surprised he's not on both PP units.

Play Vesey, and Goodrow in the top 9. Those guys will be working their asses off in a larger role. Put Kane, Laf and Motte on the fourth if Kane is going to stay in. The incompetence is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

Promoting Laf who has done nothing. Keeping Kane on line 2. Some real message sending. Outshot 20-2 in a game they we were down 3-0.......Enjoy those minor tweaks for a long time GG because you'll be watching next season from your couch.

All they had to do was stay away from Kane and bring in another Trochek like guy. Drury couldn't help himself. 

19 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Promoting Laf who has done nothing. Keeping Kane on line 2. Some real message sending. Outshot 20-2 in a game they we were down 3-0.......Enjoy those minor tweaks for a long time GG because you'll be watching next season from your couch.

All they had to do was stay away from Kane and bring in another Trochek like guy. Drury couldn't help himself. 

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko is a significantly better line than the listed "line 2".

I don't think putting an order on the lines matters very much though. The top 9 all get about the same amount of ES time. The ice time differences are overwhelmingly special teams. If there is some kind of subliminal message Gallant is trying to send exclusively to Panarin, he'd be demoted from PP1 -> PP2.

Edited by BrooksBurner

The only problem with GG's approach here is that it may just make the passing on the perimeter more frenetic.  It may make the long-lead pass attempts a bit more precise.

The problem with the Ranger's even strength offense the last *two* seasons is that the players endlessly pass looking for a perfect shot, often giving up good shots to make another perfect pass.