• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Devils Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. LGR!

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

It has been an equally shared team effort to try and stifle Hughes and Hischier.

G1 (forward opposition TOI against at 5v5 w/ 4 minutes or more):

Hughes against: Panarin 7:01, Tro 6:30, Tarasenko 6:18, Kakko 4:37, Chytil 4:27, Laf 4:16 (Zib 3:25)

Hischier against: Kane 4:51, Laf 4:42, Kakko 4:33, Kreider 4:31, Chytil 4:31, Zib 4:16

G2

Hughes against: Tro 5:16, Panarin 4:52, Tarsenko 4:28, Chytil 4:12, Motte 4:09, Goodrow 4:01 (Zib 1:55)

Hischier against: Kane 5:01, Kreider 4:52, Zib 4:49

G3:

Hughes against: Goodrow 5:43, Kreider 5:19, Zib 5:10, Tro 5:01, Panarin 5:00, Kane 4:58, Tarasenko 4:40, Motte 4:34, Vesey 4:30 

Hischier against: Tro 6:10, Panarin 5:52, Zib 5:42, Kreider 5:37, Tarasenko 4:31, Chytil 4:21

G4

Hughes against: Tro 8:28, Panarin 7:55, Kane 6:48, Kreider 6:28, Tarasenko 6:22, Zib 5:13, Goodrow 4:16

Hischier against: Zib 4:43, Panarin 4:37, Kane 4:21, Laf 4:03

Zibanejad gets no more credit than anyone else for it. It is major copium to be satisfied with a 40 goal 90 point #1 C being JAG in the game plan. It is simply not enough and he's choking. Panarin too. Inexcusable offensive production and it is very disappointing.

Firstly, source the data, and secondly, wingers aren't part of the conversation.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

praise-satan-praise-him.gif

It would be better to have two clear PP units. There’s really no reason to overload one PP unit, especially since PP2 is not great as it currently exists. It’s catering to egos at this point. Just double shift Fox on both units too. It’s not that exhausting to be on the PP.

Kreids

Zib Tro Kane

Fox

Laf

Panarin Chytil Tarasenko

Fox

Maybe even flip Tarasenko and Kane, but the approach here is to mix playmakers with shooters. Kane with Zib. Panarin with Tarasenko.

• Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It would be better to have two clear PP units. There’s really no reason to overload one PP unit, especially since PP2 is not great as it currently exists. It’s catering to egos at this point. Just double shift Fox on both units too. It’s not that exhausting to be on the PP.

Kreids

Zib Tro Kane

Fox

Laf

Panarin Chytil Tarasenko

Fox

Maybe even flip Tarasenko and Kane, but the approach here is to mix playmakers with shooters. Kane with Zib. Panarin with Tarasenko.

I agree with spreading it out between 2 lines.  The PP1 has too much of the same with Panarin, Kane and Fox.  Once their minute or so is up, the PP2 is basically 5 on 5 hockey.

6 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

It has been an equally shared team effort to try and stifle Hughes and Hischier.

G1 (forward opposition TOI against at 5v5 w/ 4 minutes or more):

Hughes against: Panarin 7:01, Tro 6:30, Tarasenko 6:18, Kakko 4:37, Chytil 4:27, Laf 4:16 (Zib 3:25)

Hischier against: Kane 4:51, Laf 4:42, Kakko 4:33, Kreider 4:31, Chytil 4:31, Zib 4:16

G2

Hughes against: Tro 5:16, Panarin 4:52, Tarsenko 4:28, Chytil 4:12, Motte 4:09, Goodrow 4:01 (Zib 1:55)

Hischier against: Kane 5:01, Kreider 4:52, Zib 4:49

G3:

Hughes against: Goodrow 5:43, Kreider 5:19, Zib 5:10, Tro 5:01, Panarin 5:00, Kane 4:58, Tarasenko 4:40, Motte 4:34, Vesey 4:30 

Hischier against: Tro 6:10, Panarin 5:52, Zib 5:42, Kreider 5:37, Tarasenko 4:31, Chytil 4:21

G4

Hughes against: Tro 8:28, Panarin 7:55, Kane 6:48, Kreider 6:28, Tarasenko 6:22, Zib 5:13, Goodrow 4:16

Hischier against: Zib 4:43, Panarin 4:37, Kane 4:21, Laf 4:03

Zibanejad gets no more credit than anyone else for it. It is major copium to be satisfied with a 40 goal 90 point #1 C being JAG in the game plan. It is simply not enough and he's choking. Panarin too. Inexcusable offensive production and it is very disappointing.

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

naturalstattrick. Do you need me to tell you who the centers are? It doesn’t make a difference re: the point made.

What point are you making?  Looks like, Zib line is the main match-up against Hischier.  Hischier and his most common linemates (Bratt, Meier, Mercer) are goalless at 5v5 and have 4 assists.  Hughes has 2 5v5 goals.  One was a penalty shot the other was a breakaway from his own blueline after a blocked shot.  If the PP didn't go cold the last 2 games we aren't even talking about this.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

What point are you making?  Looks like, Zib line is the main match-up against Hischier.  Hischier and his most common linemates (Bratt, Meier, Mercer) are goalless at 5v5 and have 4 assists.  Hughes has 2 5v5 goals.  One was a penalty shot the other was a breakaway from his own blueline after a blocked shot.  If the PP didn't go cold the last 2 games we aren't even talking about this.

I was refuting this point:

I'm not disappointed at all. He's [Zibanejad] held Hughes and Hischier to 2 points each through 4 games.

This isn’t a sole effort and it’s clear from the gameplan that the team is playing a specific way to stifle the Devils speed as a whole. It has nothing to do with an individual player’s “shutdown defense”. Not being disappointed in Zibanejad because he’s a JAG in the team approach and style in the first 4 games is some heavy copium.

48 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I was refuting this point:

This isn’t a sole effort and it’s clear from the gameplan that the team is playing a specific way to stifle the Devils speed as a whole. It has nothing to do with an individual player’s “shutdown defense”. Not being disappointed in Zibanejad because he’s a JAG in the team approach and style in the first 4 games is some heavy copium.

Centers going up against Zib have scored 1 5v5 goal, if that makes you feel better. His metrics are fantastic. The argument is, there are many times in the playoffs where the top lines cancel each other out, and that's happening now. This is not a new phenomenon.

So where is the secondary scoring? Where's the vaunted Kid Line? Where's Fox in the last 2 games, besides giving the puck away? Where's Kane, Tarasenko, Trocheck?

So no, I'm not going to be disappointed in Zib for going up against one of the top 2 center tandems and basically breaking even. That would be giving no credit where it's due to Hughes and Hischier. And it would matter if our top draft picks played like theirs.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Centers going up against Zib have scored 1 5v5 goal, if that makes you feel better. His metrics are fantastic. The argument is, there are many times in the playoffs where the top lines cancel each other out, and that's happening now. This is not a new phenomenon.

So where is the secondary scoring? Where's the vaunted Kid Line? Where's Fox in the last 2 games, besides giving the puck away? Where's Kane, Tarasenko, Trocheck?

So no, I'm not going to be disappointed in Zib for going up against one of the top 2 center tandems and basically breaking even. That would be giving no credit where it's due to Hughes and Hischier. And it would matter if our top draft picks played like theirs.

Career years for all of em!!!! 🤪 From fringe NHLers to 3rd line staples. What were you expecting from a #1 and #2 OA picks?......

I'd give all 3 for Jack Hughes and our first this year ....

For all you GG fans out there...

We've seen Ruff make an actual noticeable adjustment to the PK. They are way more aggressive on the puck up top and are just letting the Rangers have the puck down low because they saw nothing materialized below the hash the play-making was coming from up top.

At ES they sat back (not their usual style) and held the blue line and didn't allow the Rangers to skate it in which we know is their Kryponite.

Other than a reshuffling of personnel on the PP, and flipping 1C and 2C, what adjustments has GG made to the way the team plays to compensate for these new tactics the Devils have adopted?

Edited by Pete

28 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Can we play the next 2 games on the road?  Road teams are 23-14 so far this postseason.  

Given that the Rangers have been a really good road team under Gallant, I haven't hated the fact they haven't had home ice in most of these series, except for the Pittsburgh series last year.

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

For all you GG fans out there...

We've seen Ruff make an actual noticeable adjustment to the PK. They are way more aggressive on the puck up top and are just letting the Rangers have the puck down low because they saw nothing materialized below the hash the play-making was coming from up top.

At ES they sat back (not their usual style) and held the blue line and didn't allow the Rangers to skate it in which we know is their Kryponite.

Other than a reshuffling of personnel on the PP, and flipping 1C and 2C, what adjustments has GG made to the way the team plays to compensate for these new tactics the Devils have adopted?

Pretty true on all fronts. 

Let's see what Grandpa has in store for us tonight.

Can we fire the coach mid-playoffs? Ever happened before? His idea of coaching is line juggling rather than actually changing how we play. He’s gotten out coached the last series and is on the brink of the same thing here. At this point we could try it since if e lose next game he’s gone anyway. What is this guy thinking?

8 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Can we fire the coach mid-playoffs? Ever happened before? His idea of coaching is line juggling rather than actually changing how we play. He’s gotten out coached the last series and is on the brink of the same thing here. At this point we could try it since if e lose next game he’s gone anyway. What is this guy thinking?

He'll tell ya himself...."stick to the plan." Loser mentality when the plan ain't working.

This is the absolute worst they have looked.  Couldn't get anything going.  No adjustments to counter what the Devils are doing.  Making another rookie goalie look world class.  Watch whomever the Devils play next round light their goalie up, unless by some miracle the Rangers squeak out a couple of wins.

• Applause 1

Went to bed after Panarin missed that 3-on-1 by shooting the puck right into Shits' glove. Fluke goal in the 1st minute and Panarin doing Panarin Playoffs things, I knew how this would turn out.

But holyyy shit I didn't know it was possible to be this bad. Am I reading the box score right when it says 20-2(!!!) in SOG for Devils in the 3rd period? They gave up a shortie at the end of the 2nd, down 3 goals and that's what they perform in the 3rd? Gallant obviously deserves some blame here, but there's just no excuse whatsoever for that embarrassing effort in such an important time of the season. TWO SHOTS ON GOAL?!

I won't go full maniac before the season is truly over. After the 2nd period of game 1 I really thought they would sweep them. After game 2 I was sure they would. Now I'm struggling to see them score a goal. Playoff hockey is weird and it can change fast. Just win the first period of game 6 and we're right back in it.

That said, I'm struggling to see the way back in here. The offense is completely gone, everyone looks clueless and lost while the Devs look fast, dedicated and hungry. Kinda like the Rangers team from last year. You can say that Gallant needs to adjust, and he should (but won't), but I don't think the players would even listen to him. They do their own thing no matter what they're told. Gallant repeats "Shoot the puck and crash the net" before and after every game, but they're still doing the PASS PASS PASS TURNOVER thing every time they have O-zone possession. He tells them to dump the puck in and go for the forecheck, but they continue to try and carry the puck into the O-zone while doing some fancy bullshit move.

They've done it before so I don't want to count them out just yet, but this feels different for some reason...

• Like 1