• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Devils Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. LGR!

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

light turn off GIF by Alexis Tapia

I'm expecting a totally different Kane to show up. One who will dominate almost every shift he is out there. You also have Tarasenko, who is a playoff beast.  These guys alone can set a standard of play, shifting all attention to them. Freeing everyone else up to do what they do. Nevermind how hot Shesterkin has been lately.  He too, is a guy that ups his game in the playoffs. Goodrow,  Fox, Lindgren, Trouba, Schneider, Chytil Motte and even Lafrenière ramped it up last year in these meaningful games. Trocheck seems like he has the type of game we want to see in the playoffs too. 

It's really just a flip of the switch for some of these guys. Zibanejad,  Panarin,Miller and Kreider are what I'm nervous about.  They need to find that playoff gear. 

Get excited.  

Zib had 10 goals and 24 points in 20 playoff games last year.  He'll be fine. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

15 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

I really believe that the secret of both TBL and COL last year was that they played fewer games. They each had a sweep which allowed them a 5-day+ layoff to rest up. The Rangers have this habit of getting ahead and letting up - "taking their foot off the gas," if you will - both in games and in series. I want the Rangers to somehow, some way find their killer instinct. Don't get a lead and then let them back in it. Finish them off in regulation and finish them off in 5-6 games or less. Play less, win more.

Absolutely. I haven't really seen a kilter instinct from them that often, and will remain skeptical until I actually see it. It still happens aplenty during the regular season, even in meaningless games, let alone the playoffs. On the plus side, they've won most of their game sevens in recent memory, to further enhance their record. On the downside, they're basically dead by the Conference Final.

56 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Absolutely. I haven't really seen a kilter instinct from them that often, and will remain skeptical until I actually see it. It still happens aplenty during the regular season, even in meaningless games, let alone the playoffs. On the plus side, they've won most of their game sevens in recent memory, to further enhance their record. On the downside, they're basically dead by the Conference Final.

Yep. Rangers need to finish atleast one of these series relatively fast. They can’t do this 7-games every single round shit if they want to win a Cup.

It’s part of the reason I want NJ. They’re tough, they’re difficult. But if we are catching them unprepared for the rigors of playoff hockey, they also might just represent our best chance of winning a series relatively fast.

• Bullseye 1

12 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Yep. Rangers need to finish atleast one of these series relatively fast. They can’t do this 7-games every single round shit if they want to win a Cup.

It’s part of the reason I want NJ. They’re tough, they’re difficult. But if we are catching them unprepared for the rigors of playoff hockey, they also might just represent our best chance of winning a series relatively fast.

I would just like to see them win one playoff series here in less than six games. Just one. That's it. lol

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

I would just like to see them win one playoff series here in less than six games. Just one. That's it. lol

6 of the last 9 (excluding the bubble) 1st rounds have gone 7 games for the Rangers, so it'd be nice to win one playoff series in less than 7 games.  

On 4/14/2023 at 10:28 AM, Pete said:

They had absolutely no answer for Crosby other than Trouba's elbow.

They can't let Hughes take over the way Crosby did, he'll get his points and there's nothing you can do but limit the damage...and they can't let guys like Meier and Palat beat them. Bratt and Sharangovich will be deer in headlights, I'm fairly certain.

How about we get a little physical with Hughes. I don't think he likes being hit

On 4/17/2023 at 12:24 PM, The Dude said:

light turn off GIF by Alexis Tapia

I'm expecting a totally different Kane to show up. One who will dominate almost every shift he is out there. You also have Tarasenko, who is a playoff beast.  These guys alone can set a standard of play, shifting all attention to them. Freeing everyone else up to do what they do. Nevermind how hot Shesterkin has been lately.  He too, is a guy that ups his game in the playoffs. Goodrow,  Fox, Lindgren, Trouba, Schneider, Chytil Motte and even Lafrenière ramped it up last year in these meaningful games. Trocheck seems like he has the type of game we want to see in the playoffs too. 

It's really just a flip of the switch for some of these guys. Zibanejad,  Panarin,Miller and Kreider are what I'm nervous about.  They need to find that playoff gear. 

Get excited.  

This guy gets it. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bieser said:

Great defensive effort.  Did I hear correctly...they had 0 SOG during their power plays??

I also think the Rangers had more of a just shoot mentality last night.  One too many passes during the year.

The Rangers can't do the pass-pass-pass cycling thing against the Devils.  Too much speed going the other way.

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Does the pass-pass-pass cycling thing ever lead to anything positive for the Rangers?

Depends which line. It is great and a huge help when the kid line can grind down the opponent. The 4th line too. That's what you hope for from them. 

But it's a waste and super frustrating to watch Panarin, Kane and Fox try to out- stupid pass- each other.

• Applause 1

Just wanted to add. Kreider looked a bit more engaged and willing to play a bit more physical in game 1.  If we get the 2014 version of Kreider who would run goalies and play chippy, the Rangers are going to be much harder to play against.  They need that. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Keeps it 100 1

They looked like a team on a mission. They overwhelmed the Devils. As I said, and without disrespecting a good Devils team, they are young and can be exposed. Not once this year have they felt heat. 

But now, you are in the playoffs against your arch rivals, who as a whole shut you down and beat you 5-1 at home in your first playoff game in 5 years. And now suddenly, you’re staring at the possibility of going to MSG down 0-2. Tomorrow is a must-have for them, and I’m not sure they’ve felt that kind of pressure yet this season. Feasting on them early again is key. Make them really feel the heat and the weight of the moment.

• Keeps it 100 1