• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Devils Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. LGR!

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I hope the last game taught this group to hate that team. Because they HATE us. And we need to match up everything here, including that. Have to be physical.

I like where we are at. I like what we can do and the fact that the talk is about finishing a job. Step 1 is that. Don’t let these little bastards take you down. Burn them to the ground.

Whether it's the Islanders or Devils, the Rangers never take these games seriously at all, like they're beneath them. That really needs to stop, but it's been that way for a couple of decades now at least. If the Rangers play like they have been a lot of season defensively, this is going to be a short series. The Devils are fast and have skated circles around them in pretty much all of the meetings this year. They are also much more skilled. This is not a team I would wave my hand at and say that the Rangers should be able to dispatch them in five or six games. They certainly can, but they need that extra gear that we haven't seen most of the season.

I remember the way they came flying out of the gate against Pittsburgh last year in the first period. Hell, probably the first period and then like the first few minutes of the 2nd. We were on fire. We hit everything, we were playing like our hair was on fire. And it was relentless. We generated tons of chances, scored a few goals. That is exactly the way they need to come flying out on Tuesday. This team has that gear and they need it.

My copium for most of the year was that they were cruising through the season and getting selectively hot to conserve for the postseason. Tampa Bay would do it, and I'm hoping that's the case for this team. If they don't match the intensity they had in last year's playoffs, New Jersey is going to make short work of them.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I remember the way they came flying out of the gate against Pittsburgh last year in the first period. Hell, probably the first period and then like the first few minutes of the 2nd. We were on fire. We hit everything, we were playing like our hair was on fire. And it was relentless. We generated tons of chances, scored a few goals. That is exactly the way they need to come flying out on Tuesday. This team has that gear and they need it.

The problem was they blew their load in that first period. They played great, it looked like a short series. And then they got their shit pushed in the rest of the game.

They need to manage their intensity. 

28 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The problem was they blew their load in that first period. They played great, it looked like a short series. And then they got their shit pushed in the rest of the game.

They need to manage their intensity. 

They had absolutely no answer for Crosby other than Trouba's elbow.

They can't let Hughes take over the way Crosby did, he'll get his points and there's nothing you can do but limit the damage...and they can't let guys like Meier and Palat beat them. Bratt and Sharangovich will be deer in headlights, I'm fairly certain.

Rangers need to stop missing the shot or getting stoned by the goalie on high danger scoring chances.

We've had a few stretches like this during the season and we're in one of them now.

Edited by Br4d

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

They had absolutely no answer for Crosby other than Trouba's elbow.

They can't let Hughes take over the way Crosby did, he'll get his points and there's nothing you can do but limit the damage...and they can't let guys like Meier and Palat beat them. Bratt and Sharangovich will be deer in headlights, I'm fairly certain.

Hughes is not nearly as strong nor does he use his body to keep puck possession like Crosby. Those traits, or lack thereof, generally come to the forefront in the playoffs where time and space disappear. Hughes' strengths have a tendency to get neutered in the playoffs.

I smell a disappointing series for Hughes incoming.

The Devils feed off the rush.  That's a bad match for us, as we give up opportunities off the rush (statistically among the worst in the league).  That's because we spend a lot of time in the offensive zone passing the puck around, and eventually it gets turned over and the other team transitions to a rush the other way.  

We need to play north-south, go to the net, and shoot the puck.  If we do nicey nice stuff in the offensive zone, we will get hammered by their transition game, and our forwards won't get back fast enough.

• Keeps it 100 1

53 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

The Devils feed off the rush.  That's a bad match for us, as we give up opportunities off the rush (statistically among the worst in the league).  That's because we spend a lot of time in the offensive zone passing the puck around, and eventually it gets turned over and the other team transitions to a rush the other way.  

We need to play north-south, go to the net, and shoot the puck.  If we do nicey nice stuff in the offensive zone, we will get hammered by their transition game, and our forwards won't get back fast enough.

So true.....turn the puck over a lot at the blue line - we lose in 5. Learn how to play north/south, get the puck deep and keep it there - we can win this series.  

5 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not sure if there's going to be a ballsy playoff prediction thread, but I'm going with Kakko out scores Jack Hughes in round 1.

My goodness planning on Hughes getting hurt early in game one.  King kong sized balls on display here with the prediction RJ.

Good guys in 6 but an uphill battle all the way and if Igor is anything but at the top of his game I can see it going the other way.  I think the key is we can out goalie them and my belief is we should, doesn't mean we can hang the guy out to dry because if we do that they can beat us by putting up big numbers.  I just don't think we out physical anybody.  If they show up without dialing up the intensity and urgency well, that's fucking inexcusable.

LGR!

30 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

My goodness planning on Hughes getting hurt early in game one.  King kong sized balls on display here with the prediction RJ.

Good guys in 6 but an uphill battle all the way and if Igor is anything but at the top of his game I can see it going the other way.  I think the key is we can out goalie them and my belief is we should, doesn't mean we can hang the guy out to dry because if we do that they can beat us by putting up big numbers.  I just don't think we out physical anybody.  If they show up without dialing up the intensity and urgency well, that's fucking inexcusable.

LGR!

They are more like Kerbangers than King Kong sized.

• LMFAO 1

Need Igor to be Vezina level.

Need Trouba and Lindgren to be forces. Smacking the little shit Hughes would be very helpful. 

No stupid let downs after goals, nor at the beginning and end of periods. 

Patty Kane being Con Smythe Patty  Kane would be really nice.