• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Named 28th Captain in Rangers History

2 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/follow-the-leader/c-335219252?icmp=int_web_nyr_news_DL_220809

Really good article on the Rangers site that expands on Trouba really doing it all. I already admire the responsibility he's taken with the role. It's the type of stuff you hear about from some of the better captains in the league. He's off to a good start.

Great article to highlight that contrary to popular belief sometimes armchair GMs on a message board, somewhat shockingly, don't really know about the real leadership actions taking place behind the scenes. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I just hope it doesn't have him thinking he needs to do anything differently.

We can't have him going out of position for the big hits even more than he already does.

gotta take runs once in awhile. I don’t think he was too bad. Even Schneider was pretty conservative in this approach. Seems to be a team mindset (outside of Blais) so I’m not too worried about it. 

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

I just hope it doesn't have him thinking he needs to do anything differently.

We can't have him going out of position for the big hits even more than he already does.

Trouba also said the added responsibility can't change him as a player or leader.

"That's actually something I thought a fair bit about, and there's two times I can look back in my career," Trouba said. "My second year, I thought I was going to be some different player. I struggled that year. Then, coming here with the contract and getting traded and all that, I was trying to be someone I wasn't, I think. I struggled that year.

"When I'm at my best is when I'm myself. I'm not going to change who I am. The reason all this happened is because I was myself and true to myself. I intend on being the same person."

https://www.nhl.com/news/c-335223360

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Good. The guy has the room. He's had it since 2020. I like that he's a little goofy and doesn't take himself too serious off the ice. But, love that he's finally adapted back into form of the player we all expected when he signed here. He's a gamer and I think he's only going to play better and live up to the contract. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I suppose now we can reconcile that extra $2 million we're overpaying him!  LOL

Damn, that's an expensive letter!!!  Good thing he didn't "buy a vowel"!!!

We can reconcile some of that overpayment just with what he did to mentor Miller last year. And if the kid turns into the kind of player he showed last year, it'll be well worth it. 😅

Just now, Karan said:

We can reconcile some of that overpayment just with what he did to mentor Miller last year. And if the kid turns into the kind of player he showed last year, it'll be well worth it. 😅

Probably closer to the overpayment costing us Miller. 

Just now, josh said:

This is silly. What do you think Trouba would get as a FA this summer? 

Burns

Carlson

Chabot

Weber

Hughes

OEL

Subbans old, expired, lengthy contract

Sergachev 

Karlsson

Doughty

Werenski 

Petro 

What do these players have to do with it, they're not even comparable circumstances... and the point is he's not a free agent this summer. He wasn't even a free agent when we signed him, he forced a trade here and we basically paid him what Sergachev got... 3 years later. 

Gorton was the worst at this. He didn't negotiate anything, he just gave GMs and players whatever they asked for LOL. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, josh said:

Trouba is overpaid and Trade panarin threads 

Spider-Man Reaction GIF

That's laughable, one player is the best that his position making the most money... The other is a player that makes a million less than last year's Norris trophy winner... And is probably the third best defenseman on his team. 

4 hours ago, jjweimar said:

I'd believe 8.5 due to physical presence, occasional offensive ability, strong defensively 

Already been pointed out that his stats page looks very similar to Brady Skjei offensively, and defensively. So we're paying almost 3 million more a year for "physical presence"?

If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Already been pointed out that his stats page looks very similar to Brady Skjei offensively, and defensively. So we're paying almost 3 million more a year for "physical presence"?

Tough call but it did turn two playoff series around last season. 3.5mil more is a lot but now you have physical presence and leadership abilities. I forecast Brady Skjei will not be a captain of any NHL team in his career.

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

Skjei had a career year this season, but Trouba's number offensively are better. So we're paying for a better offensive player, a leader, a "physical presence" and just an overall better player (and person). I think Skjei is a weird example because I honestly think Trouba is a 3-4m better player than Skjei.

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Skjei had a career year this season, but Trouba's number offensively are better. So we're paying for a better offensive player, a leader, a "physical presence" and just an overall better player (and person). I think Skjei is a weird example because I honestly think Trouba is a 3-4m better player than Skjei.

Regarding your last sentence, a lot of people think that but the numbers don't support it.