• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Named 28th Captain in Rangers History

11 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Tough call but it did turn two playoff series around last season. 3.5mil more is a lot but now you have physical presence and leadership abilities. I forecast Brady Skjei will not be a captain of any NHL team in his career.

I just don't think he's worth almost double. 

I don't really have a problem with the player, but I've always had a problem with the salary. 

And comparing what he makes to what players who signed this summer make doesn't make any sense at all, players who signed this summer were using his contract as a benchmark. He got overpaid, so a lot of other guys got overpaid too. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

And comparing what he makes to what players who signed this summer make doesn't make any sense at all, players who signed this summer were using his contract as a benchmark. He got overpaid, so a lot of other guys got overpaid too.

Using that argument I would assume Trouba got overpaid because some guy got overpaid 2-3 years before he signed his contract. Or was Trouba the one starting the "overpaid defensemen" circle?

9 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Using that argument I would assume Trouba got overpaid because some guy got overpaid 2-3 years before he signed his contract. Or was Trouba the one starting the "overpaid defensemen" circle?

I don't know, why don't you go back and look at what comparable defenseman were making? Or why don't you go back and look at who is making close to 8.5 the year he signed?

And then factor in Gorton having all the leverage because Trouba forced the trade here and it was the only place he wanted to play because his wife was finishing her medical career training here. 

This was all discussed when the contract came out, so I'm not going to go back and do all the homework again LOL. 

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I don't know, why don't you go back and look at what comparable defenseman were making? Or why don't you go back and look at who is making close to 8.5 the year he signed?

This was all discussed when the contract came out, so I'm not going to go back and do all the homework again LOL. 

I won't because I'm so tired of all these "he's overpaid" discussions. There's a roster of over 20 guys, of course some will be overpaid, just as some will be underpaid. Complaining about the same contract for 3+ years now gets tiresome.

He's here, he's a big part of this team and now he's the Captain. If he makes a million or two (or three or four) too much is nothing we can change now. He'll be here for ATLEAST two more years, so why not just forget about his contract for a little while?

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I won't because I'm so tired of all these "he's overpaid" discussions. There's a roster of over 20 guys, of course some will be overpaid, just as some will be underpaid. Complaining about the same contract for 3+ years now gets tiresome.

He's here, he's a big part of this team and now he's the Captain. If he makes a million or two (or three or four) too much is nothing we can change now. He'll be here for ATLEAST two more years, so why not just forget about his contract for a little while?

Here's another thing that could be true...you don't have to talk about it at all. You can just skip over the posts. 

If you don't care that he's overpaid, you don't have to talk about it, the debate is whether or not he is overpaid... Just like other players. 

Edited by Pete

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Here's another thing that could be true...you don't have to talk about it at all. You can just skip over the posts. 

If you don't care that he's overpaid, you don't have to talk about it, the debate is whether or not he is overpaid... Just like other players. 

I'm not talking about lol, you are, everytime you get to mention his contract you're all over it.

It's a thread about him becoming Captain of the team. It got nothing to do with his contract but you managed to get a discussion about it here as well.

13 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I'm not talking about lol, you are, everytime you get to mention his contract you're all over it.

It's a thread about him becoming Captain of the team. It got nothing to do with his contract but you managed to get a discussion about it here as well.

Loop Trump GIF

This was the first post about Trouba salary. Go complain to Ozzy about it. 

This was the second. 

Edited by Pete
  • LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

Love the off-season.. 4 pages about a topic that doesn’t really matter AY ALL.  Not having a C wasn't what kept this team from the Finals last year- magically landing on one doesn’t change anything about next season or the next handful of seasons. 

Im not in the room, not in the team offices- I have no clue who deserves what from a leadership perspective - it’s all just shit to pass the time before training camp. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

He made a funny comment about it, you're the one beating the dead horse (again).

It's a "happy" thread about Trouba being named Captain and you've not managed to say a single positive word about the guy in the thread, just constantly banging on about the same argument you've used against him for 3 years now.

You know there's an ignore button on the forum right? You don't have to read any posts you don't want to. 

5 hours ago, Flynn said:

Love the off-season.. 4 pages about a topic that doesn’t really matter AY ALL.  Not having a C wasn't what kept this team from the Finals last year- magically landing on one doesn’t change anything about next season or the next handful of seasons. 

what if it was?

19 hours ago, Pete said:

Gorton was the worst at this. He didn't negotiate anything, he just gave GMs and players whatever they asked for LOL. 

I guess that's where Drury learned it from?

Fox contract was a bit premature to give him top dollar. Goodrow got how many years? Nemeths ridiculous contract WITH trade protection. Reaves extension... The Copp trade was a bit steep. If he knew months before hand, that he had to deal Buchnevich,  why'd he settle for a 4th liner and a 2nd rounder? 

I guess these comments are said about most GMs. Then again Sather never really got pushed around by anyone. Just always picked the wrong free agents. 

Edited by The Dude

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I guess that's where Drury learned it from?

Fox contract was a bit premature to give him top dollar. Goodrow got how many years? Nemeths ridiculous contract WITH trade protection. Reaves extension... The Copp trade was a bit steep. If he knew months before hand, that he had to deal Buchnevich,  why'd he settle for a 4th liner and a 2nd rounder? 

I guess these comments are said about most GMs. Then again Sather never really got pushed around by anyone. Just always picked the wrong free agents. 

Fox just won a Norris. Where was Drury's leverage?

Goodrow was a sought after UFA. Where was Drury's leverage?

Reaves...got top dollar? 1.75?

I'll give you the rest.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Fox just won a Norris. Where was Drury's leverage?

Goodrow was a sought after UFA. Where was Drury's leverage?

Reaves...got top dollar? 1.75?

I'll give you the rest.

Drurys leverage with Fox was that it was Fox's 2nd year in the league. To go from ELC to 9.5 mill per is a massive leap. Norris or not. You don't pay a guy 9.5 for only showing it for 1 season.

He's awesome and everything but I think that's an incredible leap and kinda sets a standard for paying out to players based on zero history.  In all likelihood Fox will be really good. Typically you let that happen for a bunch of years before you pay a player amongst the top salaries. 

On Goodrow.  Leverage was he could have kept Buchnevich or signed some other bottom 6 free agent available that summer, or traded for players that were said to be on the block at the time (Kadri) as well as players that were in danger of being exposed to the expansion draft. 

Reaves didn't need an extension. Asked for one. Got one. Aren't we talking about players having their way with the GM? 

I'm not necessarily shitting on Drury. More or less just pointing out that most GMs have a few warts.

IMO,  Drury did a good job in finding pieces at the deadline and only overpaid for Copp. Vatrano was a good get. Braun. Motte. They all fit team needs and we saw the results.

I've said that I wished he maxed out the cap and stacked the team a bit more by getting the likes of Kessel and Nash (from waivers) or just some more vets, just to have insane depth going into the playoffs.  It turned out they could have used a little more, with some of the injuries that happened. They could have scratched Kakko in game 6 of the Eastern finals, in favor of Phil Kessel instead of Dryden god damn Hunt and it would have been understood.  Or not rushed Goodrow back because they had nobody decent enough to plug in.

They had a great run and I'm not going to shit on what he DID do. The results were greater than most expected. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 2:56 PM, H-Dreamer said:

So I guess he will be traded to Tampa in a couple of years?

Anything can happen but I doubt it. This isn't just the correct choice from what we understand of the process, but likely a vote of confidence. I think they love him. Barring catastrophic collapse, he's a Ranger for this contract, if not more.

Big Zibanejad fan here - but I actually think he'll be better off without the pressure of a C. He can focus on his own game...especially putting pucks in the back of the net and raking in the points. 40+ goals and 100 points please.

52 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Big Zibanejad fan here - but I actually think he'll be better off without the pressure of a C. He can focus on his own game...especially putting pucks in the back of the net and raking in the points. 40+ goals and 100 points please.

The same point applies for Kreider. I think we'd all rather see consistent production out of him for the rest of his contract, similar to last year, rather than the long disappearing acts he's known for. There's much less pressure on a defenseman as Captain than a top-6 forward in that sense. If the production dries up for those guys, they might start to feel a bit ineffective as a leadership voice whereas with a defenseman, especially one like Trouba, there's many other ways you can regularly contribute without having to show up on the scoresheet. 

• Like 1