• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jacob Trouba Named 28th Captain in Rangers History

From anything that's come out about the team over the last two years, it's clear Trouba is the right choice and he's been the guy for a while.

He's apparently been the voice in the locker room for the last two years. The Rangers even-keeled "we're not dead until we're dead" seems to stem from him. His on-ice play is clearly what Gallant and Drury are looking for more of and he's more than capable of setting a tone that can change a game. It's been alluded to that he does a bunch off the ice that we still don't know of. We do know: he arranged for the Norris Trophy to be sent to New York for Adam Fox for a Rangers party, he arranged Lundqvist's retirement night gift from the team, he's been behind several other Rangers team functions, he's been the first Ranger to reach out to new draft picks and acquisitions. 

Trouba seems to understand the full-time commitment of being a captain and has actively tried to fill that role. I think he'll be really good fit for however long his captaincy lasts. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

Could have been Trouba or Kreids. I love Zib, but he's too low-key to deliver inspirational leadership. He leads by performance. Foxy is still too young to lead the vets. Kreids would have been a more cerebral captaincy, although none doubt that he's personally in it with heart and soul. Trouba brings the guts and that's what men follow when the chips are down.

• Like 1

This is strange to me just because of all the other optics. He’s the guy whose name predominantly comes up when talking moveable contracts for cap flexibility in a couple of years. Maybe that’s “fan motivated”, but it’s also been in articles from the writers covering the team.

Perhaps this is viewed as more of a “bridge captain” kind of choice…see who emerges in a few years (Lafreniere?). 

Completely fine with this. If Kreider and Zibanejad, who the fans deemed as worthy of it, aren’t going to wear it, who cares? We don’t know dick about what goes on in the locker room. And from everything we’ve read, Trouba has essentially been the Captain without being the Captain the last few seasons.

To go off of the point rmc made in the post above, I’m good with this whether this becomes a long term thing (even with the cap issues his contract might bring) or if this is a bridge thing (more of what I believe) until someone (Lafreniere? Lindgren? Fox?) is ready to step into the role.

Dear Rangers Fans,

It is a privilege and an honor to be named the next captain of the New York Rangers.

After I was told, one of the first things I did was look up the 27 captains before me. Messier, Leetch, Jagr, and Drury were players I grew up watching as a kid, and I dreamed of being in their skates one day.

Once I became a Ranger, I started learning more about the history of the organization. Being around MSG and the Training Center, you see a lot of pictures and jerseys. I started to realize I'd see the same names more frequently - Howell, Bathgate, Hadfield, Esposito, Lundqvist. All of these players have had a lasting impact on the NHL and are New York Ranger legends.

At the Training Center, two of the jerseys that line the walls stand out to me - Esposito's jersey from the mid-70s and Messier's jersey from '94. Both jerseys have the "C" on the front. Seeing those jerseys reinforce that not every player gets the opportunity to have that honor, let alone for an Original Six team.

To share that honor with the players who have worn the "C" before for this organization is something I don't take lightly.

I've said before that it takes me a certain amount of time to adjust to new surroundings. After coming to a new team and a new city, and getting to know new teammates and staff, it took most of my first season until I felt at home.

One person who helped me though the transition is my wife, Kelly. Coming to New York three years ago was not just a great opportunity for me, but it was also a place my wife could chase her dreams and her career as a physician. There isn't a moment of this journey that we take for granted.

My wife and I owe all of New York a thank you. You made us feel welcomed and showed us that New York City really is the greatest city in the world. Our friends are here, our careers are here, and we hope to start a family here. New York is home.

Getting a taste of playoff hockey at MSG last year was special. You guys brought the energy, and we could feel that around the city. As players, you hang on to the memories and learn from the experience. While we all enjoyed that run, I am looking forward to the 2022-23 season. Like I said at the end of the season, I feel we are right there and I'm excited to see what lies ahead for our group.

I know I am ready for this. There will be challenges, we will face adversity, but I will give you all I have. Our goal is to bring a Stanley Cup to this city. And while I can't promise it, I can promise I will give you my entire heart trying.

Thank you, Rangers fans, for your constant and continued support. I can't wait to see you all at the Garden this year!

Your captain,
Jacob Trouba

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/dear-rangers-fans/c-335219256?icmp=int_web_nyr_news_rightrail

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 2
  • JIMMY! 2
  • Applause 2

Over his first three seasons, Trouba became increasingly more comfortable in a leadership role. He had led in several ways, such as through his actions on the ice, as well as through his words off the ice. Ryan Lindgren said that Trouba has the ability to know how to put his best foot forward as a leader, whether it's through his words, actions, or both in some cases.

"Troubs is good at knowing when it's the right time to speak up," Lindgren said. "(After Game 4 against Pittsburgh) was such a critical point where we were down three-games-to-one in the series after that game, and we were not feeling great about ourselves. Troubs came in and had that meeting and told us not to worry and just focus on Game 5 and go from there.

"Troubs isn't going to be the loudest guy in the locker room, but he's certainly a guy that when he stands up and says something, everyone is going to shut their mouth and listen to him."

Adam Fox echoed Lindgren's feelings about Trouba stepping up after Game 4: "That is a great example. We were a young team with not much experience, and it's easy to get deflated going down three-games-to-one and losing the way we did. He's a guy who had a lot of experience, but he's not the oldest guy and has a great ability to communicate with the younger guys, and he has the respect of everyone.

"Troubs being able to pull everyone together and kind of change the attitude a little bit was huge for us, and what he did was obviously real important."

As Lindgren said, Trouba won't be the loudest player in the locker room, but one area where Trouba does lend his voice is on behalf of his teammates in dealing with coaches and the front office. Trouba has emerged as the primary intermediary between the players and head coach Gerard Gallant and his coaching staff. Gallant and the majority of his staff were in their first seasons with the Rangers last season and were getting adjusted to the players, just as the players were getting adjusted to Gallant. Trouba helped deliver the staff's message to the players, as well as a message from the players to the staff when necessary.

Away from the rink, Trouba has gone out of his way in several instances to make new players feel welcome and comfortable. When the Rangers acquired Barclay Goodrow last summer, Trouba was the player who showed him around New York City upon his arrival.

"Right from day one from my time on the team, he was the definite leader," Goodrow said about Trouba. "Right when I signed with New York, he was the first guy to reach out and answer any questions that I had about the city and the team. It was pretty evident that he has what it takes and he sets the tone for our team."

Lindgren and Fox were both rookies in the NHL during Trouba's first season with the Rangers in 2019-20. Even at that point in time, Trouba went out of his way to take both defensemen under his wing.

"As young guys that first year, he made sure that we didn't feel stranded on our own," Lindgren recalled. "He made sure we were adjusting to the new lifestyle. Troubs is a guy that invites people over for dinners and just makes sure that everyone is feeling comfortable and part of the team, and that was huge for us young guys when we first got there."

"It's not something he had to do and he had no real need to ask us if we had any plans or wanted to go for dinner, but he did simple things like that for us our first year," Fox recalled. "Lindy and I have grown really close to Troubs. We started with the Rangers together and he's helped us out. He has a lot of experience so we go to him for that when we need to, but he's also not too much older where we have nothing in common. He's been perfect for us and helping us get adjusted."

"He's a beast," Lindgren said. "He lays one of those hits and kind of sets the tone for the game. Every game, you know he is going to be dialed in and you know he is going to give 110%, whether it's a big hit, blocking a shot, or creating something offensively.

"He does it all and he leads by example. When you watch him go out there and give everything that he's got, it makes everyone want to follow suit and play the same way he does. Everything that he does on the ice translates to what everyone else wants to do."

Fox added that Trouba "wants to lead by example and be that guy that we're looking to. It's not always scoring a goal or doing something like that, but something as simple as a hit could help change momentum in a game. He knows what he can do to help the team."

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/follow-the-leader/c-335219252?icmp=int_web_nyr_news_DL_220809

Really good article on the Rangers site that expands on Trouba really doing it all. I already admire the responsibility he's taken with the role. It's the type of stuff you hear about from some of the better captains in the league. He's off to a good start.

• Thanks 2

The echoed sentiment from the team makes me really happy. Naming a captain, a step forward for Laf, an immediate impact from Krav and a continued valiant effort from the crease and blue line will make a good case for being able to go all the way next year. Fingers crossed from now through April! 

Edited by jsm7302
  • Believe 2