• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Puzzling Kaapo Kakko Scratch Clouds His Rangers Future

Phil

That may be what he is, JSM.  He can definitely play responsibly, and as long as his contract is in the neighborhood it's at, he's a solid 3rd liner.  It's just hard for me to digest a #2 OA that was saddled with that much promise, fall to a bottom 6 player this quickly.

• Keeps it 100 1

So many times I've watched Kakko not pursue a puck hard enough if it meant contact. He actively avoids contact. No doubt that's why he got benched, even if he has other positives in his game. Unfortunately that is probably who he is. 42 hits in 157 career games. He's got a big boy's body, but wants to be a finesse player.

Edited by rmc51
  • Bullseye 1

8 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

So many times I've watched Kakko not pursue a puck hard enough if it meant contact. He actively avoids contact. No doubt that's why he got benched, even if he has other positives in his game. Unfortunately that is probably who he is. 42 hits in 157 career games. He's got a big boy's body, but wants to be a finesse player.

Jagr. Maybe NYR can send him to stay with Jags for the off season.

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Jagr. Maybe NYR can send him to stay with Jags for the off season.

Yes, Kakko is really good at possessing the puck and using his size to do it, similarly to that part of Jagr's game. Except of course Jagr had speed and loads more skill lol

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

That is never going to happen. I'm sorry, if you haven't developed your mean streak by the time you're 20 it's not just going to come out of nowhere. 

This. This shit isn't just taught. It's fight or flight. You have it early or you don't have it.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

This. This shit isn't just taught. It's fight or flight. You have it early or you don't have it.

I really just can't see all that size, and talent wasted by lack of a marble-sack. 

major league baseball GIF by Morgan Creek

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

100%. He came to play in North America and realized how much more physical hockey is played here. He got dejected by not being able to replicate his success overseas.

I'm not sure he is ever more than a 30-40 point player. However we are void of anything worthwhile on the right side with hopes that Krav arrives and takes over where Buch left off and Laf can transition over there. That leaves Kakko to sit on the third line, maybe which we are looking to make into a more legitimate shutdown line? Hmmm.

I think he'll be more than that, especially as he fills out. I'm just saying if you're expecting him to be Eric Lindros, he won't be. But that doesn't mean he can't be a Jagr (style, not production) or any other 6-3, 220 forward who is literally impossible to move off the puck and can get the puck to the middle with a guy draped over him.

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

58 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I still see Kakko as a guy who can become a consistent 30 goal guy. I know, I know. We haven’t seen anything yet to even resemble that. I know some definitely disagree. But I still believe in this kid. I think he’s going to get there.

30 goals is a lot in this league. I'd settle for 20G/40A.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

30 goals is a lot in this league. I'd settle for 20G/40A.

I’d settle for any type of improvement we can possibly see. I just, I don’t know. I just feel like this kid is going to get there, and sooner rather than later. I feel the same way with Lafreniere, who has shown a bit more. I believe these two are gonna end up being close to what we believed they would be. I know not everyone believes that.

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

I’d settle for any type of improvement we can possibly see. I just, I don’t know. I just feel like this kid is going to get there, and sooner rather than later. I feel the same way with Lafreniere, who has shown a bit more. I believe these two are gonna end up being close to what we believed they would be. I know not everyone believes that.

I could see Laf scoring 30.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I still see Kakko as a guy who can become a consistent 30 goal guy. I know, I know. We haven’t seen anything yet to even resemble that. I know some definitely disagree. But I still believe in this kid. I think he’s going to get there.

That's kinda where I'm at too, Richie.  I wanna see this kid succeed so badly, and I know he's got the talent and he has all the tools.  I just wanna boot him in the ass sometimes and tell him to get his shit together!!  LOL

I hear @Pete on Yukon as well...But I'm saving that for the "Ballsy Predictions" post for this upcoming season....unless G-Man steals that one!!  LOL

I think it sucks Kakko hasn’t had more of an impact. But at this point, I’m dying on the prospect hill. It’s his confidence. He can still be a huge contributor to the team, and he’s not a one trick pony. His development could go several directions and still be an important core player. 

and he’s cheap. 

8 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

100%. He came to play in North America and realized how much more physical hockey is played here. He got dejected by not being able to replicate his success overseas.

I'm not sure he is ever more than a 30-40 point player. However we are void of anything worthwhile on the right side with hopes that Krav arrives and takes over where Buch left off and Laf can transition over there. That leaves Kakko to sit on the third line, maybe which we are looking to make into a more legitimate shutdown line? Hmmm.

I feel like he gained back some of that lost confidence in the playoffs. He was stronger on the puck and was decisive with what he wanted to do when he went toward the net. He's played a bit more gritty along the boards, and was carrying the puck as if it were on a string on his stick.

From the start of the playoffs,  I saw a kid that was gaining more momentum than we've ever seen from him. 

I shit on him all year. I stopped believing in his ability.  But, I honestly saw a much stronger player that looked like he was turning that corner. Not as much as Lafreniere had, or even Chytil. Not far off though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Uncle Larry with interesting discussion of what lack of an offer sheet for Kakko might mean (if anything).  If he were on schedule to become an impact player, it would certainly make sense for someone to sign him to a comparatively modest offer sheet, safe in the knowledge that the Rangers couldn't meet it.  Of course, offer sheets are rare and virtually taboo.  He's no Aho.  As a No. 2 overall, we would have hoped he would be after three years or at least on track to become a player of that stature.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/23/lack-of-kaapo-kakko-offer-sheet-not-all-good-news-for-rangers/

20 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Uncle Larry with interesting discussion of what lack of an offer sheet for Kakko might mean (if anything).  If he were on schedule to become an impact player, it would certainly make sense for someone to sign him to a comparatively modest offer sheet, safe in the knowledge that the Rangers couldn't meet it.  Of course, offer sheets are rare and virtually taboo.  He's no Aho.  As a No. 2 overall, we would have hoped he would be after three years or at least on track to become a player of that stature.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/23/lack-of-kaapo-kakko-offer-sheet-not-all-good-news-for-rangers/

Under normal circumstances for a 2 OVA, yes. 

But his circumstances haven’t been normal

3 years in with very little to show for it is a very bad sign.

If the Rangers want him to be a plus player they better give him big plus linemates.  If that doesn't work over the first quarter of the season they're probably in package him at the deadline mode.

If they put him on line 3 or line 4 the odds are overwhelming that next season will look like last season and then it's questionable whether they could even package him for anything worthwhile at the deadline.

I still think the best answer at the start of the season is to give Zibanejad Lafreniere and Kakko.  Lafreniere will be at his normal position with an excellent two-way C and Kakko can put his work ethic alongside both of them and try to make plays for them.  It's probably the best shot the Rangers have to make something really good out of Kakko.

Zibanejad and Kreider will still be a team on PP1.

So, here's the deal. Players don't often become good until much later in their careers. Look at JT Miller for christ's sake. Do the we want the Rangers to remain patient, making use of Kakko on the 3rd line until he's possibly 25-27 before any sort of offensive explosion, or do we want them to dump him? 

Because we did this rebuild thing and so far, only one drafted 1st rounder is any good: K'Andre Miller. As an organization, we've already given up on Andersson (warranted or not) and we were this close to giving up on Kravstov (who could very well be the best offensive player they've drafted). Many fans want to move on from Chytil and it seems like Kakko is in people's crosshairs now as well.

Like, at what point are we gonna just let these guys be? I feel like we need to stop asking if players are living up to draft capital and ask if they're effective NHL players. Because as long as they're effective, they can remain lower in the lineup, make less money, and possibly break out at an unexpected time.

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

15 minutes ago, ThirtyONE said:

So, here's the deal. Players don't often become good until much later in their careers. Look at JT Miller for christ's sake. Do the we want the Rangers to remain patient, making use of Kakko on the 3rd line until he's possibly 25-27 before any sort of offensive explosion, or do we want them to dump him? 

Because we did this rebuild thing and so far, only one drafted 1st rounder is any good: K'Andre Miller. As an organization, we've already given up on Andersson (warranted or not) and we were this close to giving up on Kravstov (who could very well be the best offensive player they've drafted). Many fans want to move on from Chytil and it seems like Kakko is in people's crosshairs now as well.

Like, at what point are we gonna just let these guys be? I feel like we need to stop asking if players are living up to draft capital and ask if they're effective NHL players. Because as long as they're effective, they can remain lower in the lineup, make less money, and possibly break out at an unexpected time.

Here's where I'm at. If Kakko is a good-ish 3rd liner for the next few years, then ok. He might fill a role on the team even if it's not the one we'd planned on, and he might still break out later as you've suggested. However, if the team is losing players better than him in the name of hoping and praying for him to be something he doesn't appear to be, I have a problem with that. The Rangers probably need to adjust their expectations for him. The team has lost a few pretty good players now in favor of the kids. They can't really afford to keep doing that during the rest of Shesterkin's contract and the current core's prime years. This past season was supposed to be a "prove you got it" sort of season for both Kakko and Chytil. Both disappointed, with a glimpse only really seen out of Chytil for a few playoff rounds.