• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Puzzling Kaapo Kakko Scratch Clouds His Rangers Future

Phil

Where it goes from here is anyone’s guess, but if Kakko indicates a willingness to receive suitors once the market opens on July 13, one would have to believe Saturday night would certainly be a significant factor in his decision.

Unless there is a larger issue of which no one is aware, head coach Gerard Gallant’s decision to sit Kakko in favor of Dryden Hunt — who had not played since Game 3 of the first round — and thus eviscerate the Kid Line is no less puzzling the day(s) after than it was the night of the match.

Gallant never truly bought into the concept of the Alexis Lafreniere-Filip Chytil-Kakko unit, never really trusted the lads despite their incontrovertible contributions. The coach sheltered their time even though their line was the one who made it their consistent mission to get the puck in deep and go to work on the forecheck and cycle game.

The cascading effects of the decisions to sit Kakko, play Hunt and dress an obviously laboring Ryan Strome all contributed to the Blueshirts’ inability to muster any sort of credible attack in the 2-1 defeat whose final score represented the optical illusion fashioned by Igor Shesterkin. True, Kakko had scored just one goal since Game 3 of the first round, but he had the ability to work the puck down low and on the walls while his line created at least some offensive zone possession time.

The contract negotiations with Kakko were always going to be interesting, because the Finn was always going to have leverage, even if coming off a year ruined by a wrist injury that sidelined the 21-year-old for 31 games during the guts of the season in which he recorded 18 points (7-11) in 43 games.

And the leverage is based upon the simple mathematical truth that the Rangers would be helpless if Kakko receives an offer sheet in the range of $4.2 million to $6.3 million that would bring with it nothing more than the Kotkaniemi compensation of a first- and third-rounder.

The ramifications of Saturday’s scratching are unknown, but if Kakko gets to July 13 without an extension that would likely be a two-year bridge deal for between $2 million and $2.5 million per, then we’ll have a pretty decent idea of what the winger made of all this.

If it gets to July 13, you can probably replace the No. 24 on Kakko’s back with a “For Sale” sign. By the way, once it becomes inevitable that Kakko is going to July 13, it will be incumbent for GM Chris Drury to trade Kakko for a more immediate return as opposed to getting that compensation.

They cannot be Kotkaniemi’d.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/12/kaapo-kakkos-rangers-future-in-doubt-after-puzzling-scratch/

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Larry just reading the forum again.

No one is offer sheeting Kakko. 

With a flat cap, at a loss what team is blowing Kakko out of the water to lose  a 1st and a 3rd. How do you justify the kind of contract the Habs wrote for K'jemi? 

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Larry just reading the forum again.

No one is offer sheeting Kakko. 

He’ll get interest, for sure. Whether that amounts to an offer sheet depends on the convo. 

#2 overall pick with all the tools at a cheap discount that might cost a late pick? Yes sir. 

31 minutes ago, josh said:

He’ll get interest, for sure. Whether that amounts to an offer sheet depends on the convo. 

#2 overall pick with all the tools at a cheap discount that might cost a late pick? Yes sir. 

No one is giving him a Carolina type sheet. 

Like I keep saying. What if someone offers him 3 -4.5? I don't think the compensation is even a 1st. 

Nobody is going to have to blow him away with a 6 million dollar offer. 

Do they match 4.5? Can they?  

Getting a recent 2 OA at the cost of shit compensation is a move any bottom dwelling team would and should make. 

Kid just took a seat to Dryden God damn Hunt. Kravstov left the country over being cut in favor of Hunt. I think this situation should be closely monitored by Drury. 

I want to keep the kid around. Feel like he's about to turn that corner. 

1 hour ago, josh said:

All the tools except speed, shot, physicality, finish

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1
  • Bullseye 2

If a team wants to offer sheet Kakko and his 15-25 points a year then so be it. Are we losing sleep over him? If you say yes, is it because of what he’s shown or where he was drafted? 

He’s shown he doesn’t deserve more than 1.5-2m per year and that’s being generous. If anyone wants to give him more then I think you let him go and take mental note of when to get revenge. 

• Bullseye 1

If an offer sheet comes, it comes, and they deal with it. That’s all they can do. But it’s more likely he gets extended here first and sticks around.

While it’s clear that Gallant was reluctant to play those 3, and play them together, more than he did and instead preferring to play his vets, I don’t think that will be the case moving forward. If they’re all here, and I believe they will be, I think next season you see them get significantly more ice time. 

IMO this guy needs a change of scenery. He doesn't handle the big lights well. Send him to a smaller market and I bet he does a bit better. Hope the Rangers can recoup a useful piece  for their future because I'm not sure this guy's cut out for Broadway. We've seen people struggle here in the past.

6 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

IMO this guy needs a change of scenery. He doesn't handle the big lights well. Send him to a smaller market and I bet he does a bit better. Hope the Rangers can recoup a useful piece  for their future because I'm not sure this guy's cut out for Broadway. We've seen people struggle here in the past.

I think it’s still way too soon to sell on him. 

It's too soon plus he missed basically half of the regular season with a wrist issue that I'm sure wasn't easy to come back from. I'm sure playing hockey with a wonky wrist isn't easy. That really hampered him. Then he comes back and looks solid on the kid line with Chytil and Lafreniere. Leave him alone for now.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's too soon plus he missed basically half of the regular season with a wrist issue that I'm sure wasn't easy to come back from. I'm sure playing hockey with a wonky wrist isn't easy. That really hampered him. Then he comes back and looks solid on the kid line with Chytil and Lafreniere. Leave him alone for now.

If what little bit we’ve actually heard about the nature of that injury is true, then he wasn’t really anywhere close to 100% after he returned. That injury typically requires surgery.

It seems that the Rangers and their medical team attempted to treat it with rest and physical therapy, but that didn’t work and he eventually had to have the surgery. Problem is, once you have the surgery, full strength and range of motion and being pain free and comfortable again typically takes a period of total immobilization and then a fairly lengthy rehab, which he didn’t fully get.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And way too soon whether or not he can handle the lights and big stage. I actually think he looked better in the playoffs than the regular season; I know that’s not saying a whole lot.

He still simply looks like a player still figuring it out to me is all… and I think he’s close to doing so.